joella

she/her | high school | wasian | enfp

"i breathe color into deflated rubber lungs, a latex fairy godmother"

formerly ★ white mountains ★

hi my name's joella
if you didn't know until this piece

feedback always welcome and I love you for it :)

<insert substandard header here>

19
i start writing then i stop, i let my soul bleed onto paper, got paper cuts from papyrus
talked about the darkness, inky black, everything blurring and the music skipping and slowing and the words not matching up with the tune
the obscure flashes of light and spots of dark interrupting my vision in glaring anomalies
only so many words i can use to describe the same feeling
recycled metaphors like plastic bottles, brewed wine in the melting pot of my past to intoxicate my writing
but by now it's far too diluted to be potent
heaved the sack of deadweights on my chest into the haven of my notes app, wrote poems i'd never publish, i'll only hide behind the mask of a anonymity for long before i crumble
i'm the pretentious diva with the mile-long wig of glossy hair but mine is woven from language
good for you, j o e l l a, you know words
no one gave you the right to constantly rearrange them to display in your dingy second-hand storefront window
stale penny candy
dissolving to dust when it hits expectant palates 
still I desperately forge on, trying to escape myself and find myself and maybe find a piece of my soul in someone else

it's a form of release
but it's not always a good feeling

• May 15, 2020 - 1:42am (Now Viewing)

• bambiamby

w o w. that's all i can say. this is stunning.

• mia_:)

Replying: <3<3<3

• mia_:)

Replying: Yeah, they're TO DIE FOR! Basically, a waffle with ice cream and whatever else you want to add :P. Just so you know, I'm running a bit behind on reviews and prizes, so it might be a bit until I can get you your review!

• Wicked!

This is so good. I don't know what to add to what so many people here have already said.

• van gogh's girl

"only so many words i can use to express the same feeling" OH MY GOD. i feel so seen. i hope this makes sense as a compliment: i dream of the day i can write something that makes someone feel as i feel reading your work

• Doodleninja

I feel like I'm just repeating what everyone else has said, but just like writing, comments can sometimes feel recycled I guess XD but you deserve all the love girl. I am blown away by your metaphors and imagery. "still I desperately forge on, trying to escape myself and find myself and maybe find a piece of my soul in someone else" got me right here in the heart. Utterly amazing :D

This is AMAZING, I especially love the lines "still I desperately forge on, trying to escape myself and find myself and maybe find a piece of my soul in someone else" you have such a way with words

• rosemarywisdom

This is so beautiful! It captures the feeling of writing a piece, and I especially love the last line. I'm so happy I discovered this; well done!

this is not a competition but i knew jo's name before this piece (kidding kidding i just had to flex)! "i'm the pretentious diva with the mile-long wig of glossy hair but mine is woven from language" is such a gorgeous line. this piece felt so beautifully personal/insightful? you're always so good at penning words that really paint a clear picture of what i think you're trying to convey and i so admire you for that. blargh this was sucky feedback but my brain is jumbled from studying for aps @-@ anyways i shouldn't be here but amazing amazing work as always jo!!!! always excited to read your new pieces ^-^

• mia_:)

Haha, this is probably going to sound really creepy, but i saw your comment about anastasia on Anne Blackwood's piece and just wanted to say "I LOVE THAT MOVIE/MUSICAL SOOO MUCH!" So many people haven't seen the movie or the musical and I feel so sad! The music is amazing and I agree: In a crowd of thousands is literally the most haunting song (but in a good way!)

• And_The_Stars_Laughed

I second everyone who's already commented that this is breathtaking because it truly is! Your imagery is so vivid and well thought-out and the verbs you use are so descriptive -- all of it flows together beautifully! I love this!

• addy_24

I don't know what to say... This is absolutely breathtaking!

• mia_:)

SO GOOD! Also, your name is so pretty! I love the idea of souls bleeding onto paper (that's often how I describe my writing and I'm glad someone feels the same word) and just adore the word 'papyrus' (no clue why) so you had me from the first sentence! Love it!

• Charisse Marison

Wow. I just...I'm speechless. Absolutely beautiful <3

• birthdaycandles

this. this is breathtaking.

I am not eloquent enough to properly compliment this

• Just_A_Memory

THIS IS SO GORGEOUS!
    "no one gave you the right to constantly rearrange them to display in your dingy second-hand storefront window
    stale penny candy
    dissolving to dust when it hits expectant palates"
    Definitely my favorite lines. The last two though really tie the whole piece together.

you have a beautiful name :).
    "recycled metaphors like plastic bottles, brewed wine in the melting pot of my past to intoxicate my writing / but by now it's far too diluted to be potent" because eventually writing gets staler and you feel like you're just repeating the same thing with different words. amazingly displayed.
    "still I desperately forge on, trying to escape myself and find myself and maybe find a piece of my soul in someone else / it's a form of release /
    but it's not always a good feeling" these are my favorite lines. brilliant, these describes writing (in my view at least) perfectly. if this doesn't describe it i don't know what does. like, wow. like how sometimes you hate what you've written for being so raw but you hope someone can empathize anyways. this comment is too long but deities i love this terribly. <3 <3 you're amazing.

• ElsaRee

I LOVED LOVED LOVED it, Whitey! ( I am sticking with that nick-name :D )