Emi

Child of God
American
Patriot
Diecisiete
Ravenclaw
Rider of the Rohirrim
Narnian
Prydain
District 12
Chef
Gardener
Writer
Artist
Seamstress
Homeschooler
Romantic
Nerd
Archer
Rifler

"And even when you think you're finished, it's not over yet," for KING & COUNTRY, "It's not Over yet"
"All of my dirt, all of my shame drowned in the streams that've made me born again," Jordan Feliz, "The River."
"Scars come with livin,' you are not alone," TobyMac, "Scars (Come With Livin')"
"I might bend but I won't break, I'll fight the elements," TobyMac "The Elements."
"Stand tall but above it all, fix my eyes on You," for KING & COUNTRY, "Fix My Eyes"
"Run wild, live free, love strong, you and me," for KING & COUNTRY "Run Wild."
"One by one we will call for a ceasefire...one by one, reaching out to our enemies" for KING & COUNTRY, "Ceasefire."
Currently reading Dubliners by James Joyce

Do You Remember?

Act 1

Scene 1

(Curtain opens. Light on stage right. MAGGIE and GEORGE sit together in chairs at a retirement home. They are out on the patio, with flowers surrounding them. Both are dressed in an almost vintage-style clothing. GEORGE clutches his cane, while MAGGIE crochets. GEORGE looks at his wife occasionally, smiling).

GEORGE

(gazing at his wife with love)

You know you look just as pretty as the day I met you, don't you, Maggie?

MAGGIE

(a little surprised, grins a toothless grin and fluffs her pinned-up hair.)

I don't know about that. I've gained a few pounds, for one thing. And I'm quite a few decades closer to death.)

GEORGE

(looks confused)

I wish you'd stop talking about death. You're only fifty, dear.

MAGGIE

(her turn to look confused, putting down her crocheting)

What are you talking about? I'm not a day younger than ninety, George.

(turns towards audience sadly)

He's forgetting again.

GEORGE

(shakes off confused look, turns back to wife apologetically)

Course. I forgot. But still, you're just as lovely.

MAGGIE

(sighs and goes back to her crocheting)

Do you remember when we first met, then?

GEORGE

Sure I do. We were in Erie, weren't we? And you stood with your back to the lake so that I could see your long hair blow.

MAGGIE

No, dear, that was on our honeymoon. We were in Philadelphia.

GEORGE

(nods understandingly) 

Ah, yes.

(backdrop on stage left changes to show bustling city of Philadelphia in the late '40s. YOUNG GEORGE, dressed in a soldier's uniform, wanders confusedly onto the stage.)

I think I remember. I was just out of the army then, right back from Normandy. I was going to see my uncle about a job in his company.

(YOUNG GEORGE heads towards the buildings. Just then, YOUNG MAGGIE rushes out from stage left, carrying a parcel. She is wearing a navy skirt with a white blouse and navy blue jacket. She runs towards stage right, not looking where she is going, before slamming into YOUNG GEORGE)

YOUNG MAGGIE

(scrambling for her package)

Snipes! 

YOUNG GEORGE

(grabs package, looking up at YOUNG MAGGIE. Freezes, unable to tear his gaze away from her)

Um...

YOUNG MAGGIE

(flushes, looking away, before gently taking her package from YOUNG GEORGE)

Th-thanks. Sorry, I was in a hurry. Actually, I'm usually in a hurry.

YOUNG GEORGE

(smiles shyly)

It's okay. Just, uh, maybe look out where you're going next time. You could have gotten run over.

YOUNG MAGGIE

(giggles a little, holding the parcel to her chest)

Yeah, actually, that did happen once.

YOUNG GEORGE

(shocked look appears on his face)

You got run over?

YOUNG MAGGIE

Oh! No, I didn't! I almost did.

(Light fades on stage left, while GEORGE chuckles, tapping his feet on the ground).

GEORGE

You were the cutest little thing. So awkward like that.

MAGGIE

You were just as awkward. All you 'ums' and 'uhs.'

GEORGE

I don't remember that.

MAGGIE

(nudges him playfully with elbow)

You don't remember anything, you old geezer.

GEORGE

(rubs chin thoughtfully)

I remember our wedding day, old woman. You were such a little sweet pea, in your mama's wedding gown, looking like some farm maiden from the '30s.

MAGGIE

(rolling her eyes)

That was my cousin Anna's wedding, George. Remember Anna? No, I wore a new dress. Latest style, too—Mama insisted.

(Stage left lights up again, with wedding arbor and flowers decorating a fence. YOUNG GEORGE stands proudly with MINISTER, both dressed in smart suits. YOUNG MAGGIE walks onto stage left and takes YOUNG GEORGE'S hand, smiling.)

MINISTER

(coughing, turning to YOUNG GEORGE)

Do you, George Dylan, take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife?

YOUNG GEORGE

(clearing his throat)

I do!

MINISTER

(turning to YOUNG MAGGIE)

And do you, Maggie O'Keefe, take this man to be your lawfully wedded husband?

YOUNG MAGGIE

(smiling brilliantly)

By golly, I do!

MINISTER

(raising an eyebrow at YOUNG MAGGIE)

Please present the rings.

(YOUNG GEORGE fumbles in his pocket for a minute, before his face goes frantic. YOUNG MAGGIE already has her ring out, but he keeps searching, even getting down on his hands and knees to look for it on the ground. MINISTER clears his throat. YOUNG GEORGE looks up, and the MINISTER gives him his own wedding ring to borrow.)

MINISTER

(shaking his head)

I now pronounce you man and wife. George, you may kiss the bride.

(As YOUNG GEORGE bends to kiss YOUNG MAGGIE, lights go down on stage left, while MAGGIE laughs heartily on stage right.)

MAGGIE

You goose, you forgot my ring! My mother was so angry, she might have even cancelled the whole wedding and convinced me to divorce you then and there.

GEORGE

At least I didn't say, "by golly."

(They sit in silence for a little, before GEORGE glances up).

Would she really have wanted you to divorce me?

MAGGIE

No. She didn't much approve of you, you being a military man and all, but she would never have had be break my vows.

GEORGE

That's good.

MAGGIE

(looks at him with love in her eyes)

Besides, nobody could have convinced me to abandon my poor Georgie, considering you would have been long buried by now if not for me.

GEORGE

(confused and irritated)

Why must you always talk about death, sweet pea? We're hardly outta our twenties and you're already talking about death.

MAGGIE

(shakes her head, a little upset)

Oh, George...

GEORGE

(after a long period of silence, speaks again, mumbling)

Always were too good for me, Maggie. Never told you that, but you were the best woman on this earth. You could've had anybody.

MAGGIE

Yes, George, but I had you. And after seventy years, eight children, thirty grandchildren, seventy great-grandchildren, and three great-great grandchildren, I'm plenty satisfied with my man...

(bends over to kiss GEORGE, who goes red and grins a goofy grin)

...even if he can't always remember.

Curtain closes.

• The Ravenclaw Dragon

This was really good! I loved how it shows both the Old George and Maggie and the memories that have. Keep on writing amazingly!

• RemovedUser1

Awwwww!! This is so cute! I love their story! Old couples always make me happy, XD. I also love that they have a big family- that was a nice touch. And that she remembers so much and he so little! Great, great job!
    Replying: That’s nice! I always thought that northern states didn’t have Chik-fil-a, because when I lived in Kentucky, the closest one was in a college thirty minutes away. (Granted, the Walmart was 30 minutes away too.) But I live in Florida and we have 2 in just our city, XD.
    Haha, yeah, sorry X).
    Ok, that legitimately sounds like the perfect life, XD. I’m thinking I want to do that same thing, but run an orphanage or something like that in Uganda.
    That sounds like a book I would read! Sometimes books about history can be tedious if they’re not well written, but it doesn’t seem that way, since there’s so many movies. I’ll have to see if it’s at the library.
    Ok. That sounds really fun! I want to learn how to use guns, and having games and stuff like that would be really cool! I’ve heard of air soft before, but my knowledge is limited to YouTube, XD.
    Thank you so much! I think we’re very similar, XD. I want to learn how to be completely independent, even if I still go to the store and stuff like that. It just seems like a fun, and fulfilling way to live.
    I really understand. I feel the same way. I’ve only posted 3 politic pieces, and each one was taken down, and two of them had terrible comments. But prayer is definitely more effective ;).
    She was thinking about it, but she decided to stay because I and a few of her friends were on here.
    Awww, thank you! That would be so cool! I’m so glad you liked it!
    We SHOULD!! You know what? We could have a Zoom meeting, XD. That would be really fun, if y’all were up to it, XD.

• Mpm#1

I love your writing. It’s just so wonderful. <3 Please keep writing!!

• queenie

*slams fists on table gently*
    I NEED THIS ON BROADWAY NOW FFFFFFF

• Huba Huba

Re: you're right, and the speech I'm writing is something I've been thinking about a lot lately. I'm thinking about completely switching the topic, as it's getting less and less stable as I write.

• Huba Huba

This is cute and sort of funny!

• birthdaycandles

Oh I loved this Emi!! I'm just sad I only found it now... but it's still brilliant. You've portrayed the love between the couple so well, and I just loved reading it with all my heart, well done! :)

• deep_breaths

so cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute

• joella

congratulations!!! this piece was amazing and your shoutout was definitely well-deserved :))

• Ree Sethu

A.W.E.S.O.M.E.!!!!!

• Briali Rain

I truly love this piece! The flash backs and the relationship is super sweet and there is a pinch of humor that I enjoyed :) Congrats Emi!!

OH MY GOSH, I'M SO FREAKING PROUD OF YOU!!!

EMI HOLY COW CONGRATS GIRL!!! YOU TOTALLY DESERVE THE “HIGHLY COMMENDED” TITLE! <3 PLAYWRITING ISN’T A BIG THING OF MINE BUT AMAZING AMAZING WORK!

• A Certain Type of Decisive

This is so sweet? Oh my God? Everything is so perfect the slang, the love, the awkwardness- I honestly can't stop smiling!! He lost the wedding ring!! What a doofus!! I love them!! I don't know about 70 grandchildren, but I'll trust your math lol- great job!!