Peer Review by Anshu (United States)

"Whatever People Say I Am That's What I'm Not"- Ten Years and Poetry still unmatched

By: Andrew Gavinet

To think it has been a decade since a bomb exploded in England, with its debris only grazing the coasts of America in the form of "AM". A decade since a group of English teenagers cut through the garbage of mid-noughties post punk with an album as catchy as it is honest. Guitar riffs that attack like machine gun fire and lyrics that provide the clarity in a pre-constructed concept of a small bar in northern England.

The Artic Monkeys immortal "Whatever People Say I Am, That's what I'm Not" first bolted out of the UK as the then quickest selling album in British history. The charm and grit of their first two singles "Fake Tales of San Francisco" and "I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor" opened the doors for the public at large to buy and then celebrate their debut album. Interwoven amongst this chaotic poetry of the dullness and quirks of attending an obscure bar is a brutal call to pop music at large. Whether the attacking tone of fake artists and stories in "Fake Tales of San Francisco" or more apologetic and lamentable lyrics of "A Certain Romance" this concept album speaks about much more than just it setting and one can argue it speaks loudest about the things not directly talked about in the album.

True, songs like "Dancing Shoes" and "Still Take you Home" are very straightforward in their meaning, but this only serves add to the ambience and setting of the fictional world the Monkeys had already created. Not to mention the rhythm and style of all the songs on the album is tightly knit. If nothing else these albums follows the golden rule of great albums by making songs both unique yet uniform enough to weave a story both in lyrics and music.

As previously mentioned this album is still quite the enigma to the world at large. Voted one of the top 20 albums of all time by the British music magazine NME. It did not even crack the top 200 of Rolling Stones top 500 albums of all time (though it was on the list). Certainly some things are uniquely British and others uniquely American. I don't see Indian tea and crumpets replacing any Americans  Starbucks coffee and bagel any time soon. Though like all great pieces of art this album transcends borders. With everything from Post-Punk to Hip-Hop lovers finding something that connects them to this album. So please, go and listen to this album. Listen to it wisely. Then go and tell your friends you knew the Artic Monkeys before the got famous with "Do I Want to Know?". In fact tell them "AM" is terrible. That the Monkey's Magnum Opus has already been laid in a grave of teenage anxiety and amazing guitar riffs. A grave overlooking the industrial heartland of Northern-midland-England.

anything else i should add or possibly take out from this. Any reviews will be greatly appreciated

Totally! Coming from a big Arctic Monkey's fan myself, I totally agree with the rich adjectives and examples provided in order to depict some of their popular songs into imaginable words.

Yes, the writer developed a back story of the band and their album very well and certainly with research.

The review overall is engaging. I would recommend a better transition from topic to topic.

Really cool review! Rereading writing aloud helps to ensure that it flows well. There were just a few grammatical errors here and there, but overall, I'd definitely give this album another listen!