Anne Blackwood

16
Theatre kid
Singer
Poet
Twin
Disfusive
A bit empathic
A living oxymoron
WTW mom to FantasyOtter12, lochnessie & everyone
WTW sis to happy butterfly
Kindness Krusader: Blueberry cotton candy
XXFJ

Joined 1/16/2020

FYI: I'm not republishing this to get myself attention or likes. I just feel that this point is most often overlooked, and I want to try to change that.

I am not a feminist but I do have an opinion

29
Okay. I don't generally align myself with the label "feminist", and I'm not going to really go into the details why not. But there's been something bothering me ever since I wrote the piece "Why do people think that skinny girls don't need comfort?" This discomfort was brought to mind when I was reading a book yesterday. It's a wonderful book with a great message, but something about this one part was somewhat upsetting.
The main character meets a thin girl, and she says to herself that the girl "looked as though she frequently dined on ice cubes and lettuce leaves." While this line is fairly funny, I couldn't ignore the thought plaguing my mind: Is that what people think about me?
The worst part about this is we've come so far in the movement of body positivity, but there's a double standard. If someone said that a plus size girl looked like she dined on pasta and chocolate cake, that person would be mobbed, and rightfully so. But no one cares when it's a joke about a skinny girl.
"Because we're on the wrong end of the spectrum / to be embraced for who we are"
If you want to hear my feelings on the subject in a more poetic way, read my pieces "Why do people think that skinny girls don't need comfort?", "flat-chest girl", and "Femininity".

• Quarkoala

I agree that this piece is very important. It illustrates a problem that is when everybody sympathizes and tries to help people on one end of a spectrum, people on the other end tend to have a hard time.

My experience with this is that especially in Elementary School, I grew bored because class was paced too slowly for me. There were multiple options for the pacing - slow learners got to go to extra help, but it was expected that the fast learners would have an easier time and therefore be happy with normal pacing. So while the slow learners got their extra help, fast learners like me spent time hating school for being completely boring.

• joella

reply: (first of all sorry for spamming your pieces) I wish my school was as cool as yours! your seniors must be so upset. also, I agree, broadway in NYC is really amazing. it was at the top of my dreamboard every since I was really, really little. my life goal at the time was to play annie on broadway lol

This is very true! Honestly, it's nobody else's business how your body looks, especially when it's a stranger or somebody. If you know you are healthy, I would just turn away from people who are like that and not take their words to heart.

Haha yassssssss!!! I'm 13 almost 14 :)

Woooohooooooo! If you don't want to answer that's fine, but how old are you?

Oh my gosh! I loooooveeeeeeee acting! My drama group is on Zoom at the moment, which is not super fun. :( But it's actually my dream to be an actress!

Oh ok. I mean I had never taken lessons at Glenworth, they let anyone do it no matter their experience level. Lol I have to get up at 5:30 to get there, but my dad takes me like every two weeks. What sort of rehearsals? Oh btw, Glenworth isn't actually a stable it's an outdoor riding centre :)

Replying: The thing is, I actually wasn't a good rider before I went to Glenworth; I could really only walk or trot, and my trot was QUITE bad! But now I've been going there for a while and I can walk, trot and canter comfortably! I've learned soooo much from going there. Maybe you should ask about the ranch. When you say people can work there, do you mean like volunteers or actually work there, like get paid. 'Cause I don't get paid ;) Yes lol Kelpie's are definitely an Australian breed, that's not offensive :D And yes, Staffy stands for Staffordshire Bull Terrier ;)

• mia_:)

Replying: ya, lol, we're what you might call interesting people. hobbies include: Disney trivia, sending each other banana memes (hence potassium gifs) and looking at pictures of dogs in costumes and bothering people as we force them to look :)

Oh my gosh though, you sound like me. My entire wall is COVERED in horse pictures! And I used to have two gigantic stuffed horses, but my mum made me put them in the garage LOL Don't be ashamed of horsie stuff! It's the best!

Replying again: Srsly girl! If you have a question you can ask it! I LOVE horses so I'm happy happy HAPPY to talk about them! The thing is, I can't actually afford to ride horses either, (it's soooooo expensive) but about an hour away from where I live in Sydney, there is a trail riding centre called Glenworth Valley (you can look it up on Google) and they actually have a volunteering system, so you can volunteer there! AND the best part is, you get to go on trail rides ($100 for 2 hours! AUD money) for FREE! It is so great! Basically as a volunteer (vollie as we say) we do the dirty jobs, mucking, grooming, all the little jobs the staff don't do, but we can lead trail rides! It's super great, because riding there is SO expensive, and I really can't afford it! But it's super fun! I hope you get to ride more often!

Replying: Ok, Anne, you are now my forever friend because you love Stella :')))) She is a staffy-kelpie, we think. We adopted her from a pound, so we only know she is staffy X something, but I found a pic on the internet that looked exactly like her and it was a staffy X kelpie, and she has kelpie qualites so yah LOL

• Halopoet

I totally agree with you. Also when they see a girl who is not skinny they judge her for being fat, even if she is moderate. If they see a girl with the perfect curves in her body whatever, they call her slutty as if she made them herself. Today's community will always be judging everyone no matter how they look. I said everyone, not just girls.

• And_The_Stars_Laughed

I totally agree, we should see people for who they are on the inside rather than make comments on how people look -- this has happened for far too long. Thank you so much for writing this, its an important issue that needs to be brought to attention.

• elliem

Replying: Thank you so much!!! <3

• Princess Maria

Interesting take. I've never thought about it this way cause I have always been on the other end–I'm not super skinny, I'm kinda muscular for a girl and people always think I'm fat or something (never mind that they can see me lifting 70 lb boxes at work) and then skinny girls kinda seem to boast about how skinny they are next to me. I've never thought about it on the other side of the argument, how skinny girls must feel; I've always thought they were envied by everyone because they're skinny and not fat or bulky. Thanks for presenting another perspective!

• Cheshire Cat

I am a girl who stuffs her face in everything and still is super skinny and ways under 90

• Vinter Vejen

Also I agree with all that you wrote above. Body shaming is horrible for everyone and I think people should focus on why the person is gorgeous the way they are before body shaming anyone

• Vinter Vejen

Replying- Here's your digital *oreo* :)

Hold up a secoooooond. I absolutely agree .You have such a valid point. Honestly I have so much to say about this but I don't know how to.If I figure it out I'll come back to you.This is just brilliant!

replying (am i doing this right? i’m just imitating other people haha sorry, i’m fairly new): no problem! i think it’s an issue that we don’t talk about enough, and it’s admirable that you bring it up! your body is beautiful, no matter the body shape. don’t let universalized beauty standards define you! <3

ah i totally get this! body shaming is a no-no, and it comes in many forms. commenting negatively on someone’s body is never okay, no matter the body type. everyone’s beautiful in their own way. thank you for sharing your thoughts!

• mia_:)

Replying: :) <3

• mia_:)

Replying: Haha, not at all! I do that with you too, as well as other writers. I want to see what others have to say! (#stalkerlife?) Weird, hope I'm not being creepy! <3

• KBridget

Replying: Oh, okay. It wasn't entirely intentional. It was basically that, in response to this pandemic, the CDC began capturing children for the human trials of Covid-19 vaccines. First, they captured the main characters brother, then her when she went out to look for him since he didn't come home. This basically details her discovering that the "volunteers" for the trials weren't actually volunteers. if anything else needs explaining, please don't hesitate to let me know.

• KBridget

You left a comment on one of my pieces a few minutes ago, i was wondering what you were confused about. It's called Unit 05902.

• Mishthi Sharma

Replying: It's so relatable that you can't stop yourself from putting forth your views.

• Mishthi Sharma

You are so true. Everyone talks about loving oneself no matter what others say, but it hurts. It actually hurts when people pass such comments. After all we are a part of society and we are affected by it. Why should we suppress our emotions? There is nothing wrong in ranting when you are absolutely right.

• Madelyn (Carolina Girl)

Replying: Of course! I love your work. Keep writing. You are so encouraging!

• Madelyn (Carolina Girl)

This is amazing!!! And I agree with you. We should not body shame no matter.

• Tushar Mandhan

The beauty of humans is that they are so diverse. Let's embrace our body types......I remember when I was in primary school, I was compared to matchstick :p skinny guys problems......I don't get to deal with it anymore because of puberty but I can totally relate to you.....but another incident that I remember is......a classmate of mine borrowed my notes and while returning he commented 'these are too clean.....too feminine!' That's one of the most ridiculously sexist comment....
    Talking of books, a teacher gifted me a book.....I don't remember it's name (*embarrassed*) during middle teenage, you know when you are questioning everything about yourself........By the time I finished the book......I was completely different version of myself (*now more embarrassed that I don't remember the name*) It taught how life is too short to stress about those who don't even deserve to be a part of your life....and....yeah.....how to deal with bullying....in a sassy way.....So yeah....maybe I'd publish a piece explaining everything :P

This is so true!

• joella

I completely agree. I get comments like this too, and it's hard to hear, which is something a lot of people don't understand. thanks for drawing attention to this important issue :)

• mia_:)

Replying: Totally get it! :)

• Samina

You're always welcome.
    You know it's just a thought settled in minds of people. Actually, body shape doesn't even matters(to me). A person should have a good heart.<3<3

• Samina

This is not good. Especially I hate comments made on anyone's body. I can relate to it. I feel very bad that books have such stuff. It's good you put your heart out. Recently, I was also very triggered by this.

• mia_:)

By the way, it's ALWAYS ok to rant! Better to get those feelings out than keep them bottled up! Also, out of curiosity, what book was this?

• mia_:)

Oh my gosh! That's terrible! I totally agree; stuff like this usually can sneak away unnoticed in books and media and stuff, but it's so not right! >:( (ok, kinda sad that i had fun making that angry emoticon but . . . that's me!)