Dylan Riley

Hey all,
Write the World deactivated my old account without warning, so until they get back to me this is my new account.
I way too often use 1000 words when I just need 3.

This is a powerful piece and I hope WtW grants me my account back so I can go back to post on there, (They deactivated it because of my mixed account with WhispersofGray). Please give me some feedback. I know this is a gutsy piece and I know it's not really my place to comment on this issue, but to pretend it doesn't exist is a problem in and of itself.

I Ran

13
Today I ran for Ahmaud Aubrey,
Yesterday I ran for Trayvon Martin.

I've always wanted to run very fast,
But I never want to experience the level of adrenaline,
that most African-American men feel, 
When they see a cop in their rear-view mirror.

Americans love to point out that we live in a free country,
but this country is not free of hate, discrimination and racism.

I am a white male in a not very diverse town,
But I know white privilege and white guilt,
Like yin and yang,
You can't have one without the other.

I'm certainly not ignorant though,
I see color,
And I choose to protect my family of freedom fighters,
Because at the end of the day, 
In America we all come from somewhere, 
Every man and woman is an immigrant,
But we all bleed red.

I ran today for Ahmaud Aubrey,
I ran so fast.

I felt I could finally be free.

I think this story speaks for itself. The best thing we can do as people, is be educated, and be loving.

1

This piece is amazing. It's honestly so heartbreaking to read about instances of violence against innocence African-American men in the USA. (The most recent being the George Floyd case). Thank you for speaking up about this.

• Madelyn (Carolina Girl)

If you have time you should check out my new series Soulmates and angels or keep reading if you have already read it. I hope you can get back into your old account soon :)

• Madelyn (Carolina Girl)

This amazing! Truth. Also why in the world did they take down your account just because you shared with whispers of gray? I am glad you are back :)

This is beautiful. I completely agree.Im also white so I haven't really experienced racism but I've seen it throughout my life and it really is horrible .I also do feel guilty when I see it because how just because my skin is a different colour I'm treated better than others.I love this message.I really admire that you chose this topic that isn't written about as often as it should. Beautiful piece!
    Also I hope you sort your accounts up soon,also would be nice to see Whispers work again and all your old work:)

• joella

wow. this is amazing!
    what happened that caused Gray's account to be deleted?

I haven't heard of these two before. I looked them up, and its horrible!!
    Great poem!

• Tushar Mandhan

This so strong! It was a horrible incident.....
    I hope you get your account back soon<3