Writers of the World

Retired.

[Optional] Sharing Activity: Fanboys, Stan, Book Lovers, Readers, Etc (Repeats Very Welcomed)

18
Everyone's heard of a Book Club, right? Well, we're modifying that idea, this is part one.
To every writer here on WTW, follower or not, please join us in on this fun sharing activity.

In the comments, I want YOU to tell us your favorite pieces of literature. It can be a classic, play, novel, novella, poem, series, short story--I don't care! Just give the TITLE of the literature and the original AUTHOR. Of course, if you're feeling extra, you can give a reason why you're choosing what you are.

Bonus: Out of the lovely pieces of literature you pick, give a quote from one (or more). 

You can pick and choose what you share or you can just do it all. You can listen more than one for each thing you can list none. I'm not asking for anything fancy or anything lazy, I'm asking for your book confessions and must-reads. And technically there is no limit to what you can list but please, try and do NO MORE than 10 (but as always, I allow wiggle room). And obviously, NO LESS than 1.

There is one condition though: It cannot be a piece from WTW. Sorry, it has to a verified, published, real (not that yous guys aren't-I hope you understand what I'm trying to say, because I don't know how to word it) piece of literature. Meaning if I googled the author or piece, I should be able to find it no problem and it not taking me to a person's writing account on a writing website.

P.S
This might be part of something bigger in the end.
If you have a question, ask on our Questions?? page. Do NOT COMMENT the question on THIS piece.

Cool!

Here is mine:
    Magkc by Angie Sage.
    This book is pretty old, but it is so good! It like a mix of Harry Potter and fairytale stories.

• Halopoet

Some moreee:
    The dragon rider by Cornelia funk, this book just made me feel like i was in the air. I don't know why but I felt so good while reading it.
    The island by Victoria hislop, cry alert. This was very underrated but like depressing and beautiful, I couldn't help mentioning it.
    Leave it to Psmith by P.G wodehouse, the funniest and coolest book on planet Earth. Actually check out all his books.
    Also anything by Enid blyton, but especially the naughtiest girl series.

• Halopoet

All the bright places, jennifer niven: "we don't remember days, we remember moments"
    Little women, louisa May alcott.
    The picture of Dorian gray, Oscar wilde:" people know the price of everything and the value of nothing
    The ballad of reading gaol, Oscar wilde: " he had but killed a thing that lived, whilst they had killed the dead"
    The telltale heart, Edgar Allen poe
    Le divorce, Diane johnson
    A man called Ove, Fredrick backman(underrated, but the best book in the world)
    Fangirl, Rainbow rowell

• And_The_Stars_Laughed

"The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry. This book may seem like its geared towards younger children, but the message that carries through is for people of all ages, and the story itself is beautifully written and moving. There are so many good quotes from this book (in fact, my username is based on one of them!), but perhaps my favorite would have to be. "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    "The House on Mango Street" by Sandra Cisneros. This book is so poetic and the descriptions are incredible!! I highly recommend it! Here's one of my favorite quotes from the book: "I would like to baptize myself under a new name, a name more like the real me, the one nobody sees."

• poetri

The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall (is incredible and gorgeous and an absolutely breathtaking piece of art. Oh, also, it's marketed for eight year olds. But don't let that fool you...it's for us)
    ALSO My Fater's Daughter by E.L. Konigsburg. And The View from Saurday as well. Konigsburg is a master storyteller.
    And because I just noticed the quote thing...here are quotes from not only this submission but my last as well.
    "People sometimes make unexpected choices when they're lonely." -The Penderwicks
    “A good night sleep, or a ten minute bawl, or a pint of chocolate ice cream, or all three together, is good medicine.” -Dandelion Wine (scroll WAYY down lol)

"You know why this is my favorite tree...its tipped over and still growing." Y'all know I had to throw in something about The Florida Projet in here because if I could nominate that every day as a piece of writing and film, quite frankly, I would. Best. Movie. Ever.

• Quarkoala

Lord of the Flies by William Golding
    A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking (nonfiction)
    I am the Cheese by Robert Cormier
    Enders Game by Orson Scott Card
    The Veldt by Ray Bradbury
    The Fox in the Forest by Ray Bradbury

• Ghoulgirl2020 (#Queenie's Halloween | I have been called Cool before if you know what I mean) ;)

I honestly can't pick, so you pick from this list. Thanks for doing this. :)

• batman_is_a_cracker

The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton -
    Notes: I think it gets a bad rap for being one of those books you're required to read for school but I LOVE this book. The characters are definitely the strongest thing about it, you fall in love with every single one.
    Quote: "I could picture hundreds and hundreds of boys living on the wrong sides of cities, boys with black eyes who jumped at their own shadows. Hundreds of boys who maybe watched sunsets and looked at stars and ached for something better."

the princess saves herself in this one by Amanda Lovelace
    Notes: Reading this was definitely an out-of-body experience. The way she tackles serious issues is so natural and with finesse. This book makes you wanna fight for a better world. The best thing about this book of poetry is that you can open it on any page and immediately be sucked in.
    Quote: "you may/ not have left/ (many) bruises/ on my skin,/ but you left giant/ blackberry bruises/ all over/ my soul./ - i still wonder who i would have been."

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
    Notes: One of my favorite authors with one of my favorite books. The lead character is so relatable and funny. The romance is cute and natural. It's just a really good read.
    Quote: "Kissed. Cath loved that word. She used it sparingly in her fic, just because it felt so powerful. It felt like kissing to say it. Well done, English language."

Carry On by Rainbow Rowell
    Notes: This is the type of book you become obsessed with. I mean, it's got it all. Action, adventure, mystery, romance, LGBTQ+ representation, and - my favorite - MAGIC. The characters are all brits so it adds to the charm and the "Harry Potter with a twist" vibe it has. It's very fun but still grounded somehow. I love it. 10/10 would recommend.
    Quote: "Blue Eyes. Bronze Curls. The fact that Simon Snow is the most powerful magician alive. That nothing can hurt him, not even me. That Simon Snow is alive. And I'm hopelessly in love with him. "

Wayward Son by Rainbow Rowell
    Notes: I said she was one of my favorite authors, didn't I? This the sequel to Carry On. There isn't much more I can say about it without giving away the ending to Carry On but let's just say... everyone is traumatized so they go to America. They meet new people. My new favorite character from the series: Shepard from Omaha. The rag-tag band of mages all learn new things about themselves. It may not have been a happily ever after but it was beautifully written and a nice emotional whirlwind.
    Quote: "I want to take his hand and keep him here with me, in the weeds. 'Are you still mine?' I'd ask him. 'Do you still want this?' But I don't. Because I don't want to hear him say no."

Blankets by Craig Thomson
    Notes: My all-time favorite book. It's a graphic novel and it's 582 pages long. It took the author 3 years to make, and you can tell. It's the type of book you pick up and then can't ever put it down. It's lovely. 20/10 a must-read.
    Quotes: "Our letters were a flirtation - from timid notes - to perfumed packages overflowing with flowers and poems, tape-recorded love songs, and sweet high school nothings."
    "Most revealing was her handwriting--including the indentions traced on each page from the page above. (She must have been pressing her pen hard.) An alluring line looped her "I"s. Her "f"s were "I"s that instead of linking with the next letter, fell."
    "Pressed against her I can hear ETERNITY--hollow, lonely spaces and currents that churn ceaselessly. And the fallen snow welcomes the falling snow with a whispered 'HUSH.'"
    "I woke, but I couldn't recall ever falling asleep--only lying and waiting all night for slumber to visit--and because I couldn't trace the transitions--from day to night to wake to sleep to dream to wake again--it took a moment to remember where I was. And then I heard her voice..."

The Perks Of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky- it's extremely real and heartbreakingly sad
    The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
    Animal Farm by George Orwell
    Lost and Found by Cathy Cassidy
    The Guernsey Literary And Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffers and Annie Barrows- about finding joy in the most uncertain of times
    The Kite Runner by Khaled Hossein
    A Room Of One's Own by Virgina Woolf
    Becoming by Michelle Obama- very inspirational
    Murder On The Orient Express by Agatha Christie
    It by Stephen King

• journal.screams (#Queenie's Halloween)

More books! -
    They Both Die At the End by Adam Silvera
    Welcome to Night Vale by Jeffrey Cranor and Joseph Fink (it's a book based off of a podcast, which is also hilarious, but I personally just love it as a book) "You sound like a tree. You are perfectly healthy. Also, you don't need to sleep. You're a tree, a very very smart tree. Are you listening to the radio?"
    When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead

• amazing grace

'Dracula' by bram stoker
    i am reading this book and i love it. it has a little bit of everything it has some realistic stuff some romance some horror mystery and some adventure. hope you like it.

uncle tom's cabin by harriet beecher stowe.
    this is such a good book. i'm currently reading it and thought you might like it.

a second chance summer by morgan matson.
    this is about a girl who has to face her past that she thought she had left behind years ago. on top of this she has to deal with the fact that she will lose her dad by summers end. it has love and adventure. i loved this book so much.

anne of green gables by lucy maud montgomery
    "i'm glad i live in a world where there are octobers"
    "true friends are always together in spirit"

• delete

'Frankenstein' by Mary Shelley
    'i am thy creature, I ought to be thy Adam; but I am rather the fallen angel, whom thou drivest from joy for no misdeed.'
    Frankenstein is one of my favourite books and the inspiration for many of my works. Shelley teaches us that humans are the real monsters in the world as we spend so much time hating and destroying and shunning others away. Frankenstein teaches me that during this pandemic that this behaviour will not help us progress and we all need to work together, whether that be by doing someone's shopping, or calling a relative, we need to have each other's backs and not be selfish. What people have done so far to be good is so significant!

• Fabiana250

"Little women" by Louisa May Alcott
    “Some people seemed to get all sunshine, and some all shadow…”
    "The Selection" by Kiera Cass
    “It's always the fear of looking stupid that stops you from being awesome.”
    “If you don’t want me to be in love with you, you’re going to have to stop looking so lovely. First thing tomorrow I’m having your maids sew some potato sacks together for you.” (this was sooo sweet I cried)
    "The Maze Runner" by James Dashner
    "Great, we're all bloody inspired"
    “WICKED is good”
    "Me before you" by Jojo Moyes
    “You only get one life. It's actually your duty to live it as fully as possible.”
    “I thought, briefly, that I would never feel as intensely connected to the world, to another human being, as I did at that moment.”
    “Sometimes , Clark, you are pretty much the only thing that makes me want to get up in the morning" (I completely died here).
    "Murder on the Orient Express" by Agatha Christie
    “The impossible could not have happened, therefore the impossible must be possible in spite of appearances.”
    Sherlock Holmes: "A study in scarlet" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
    “No man burdens his mind with small matters unless he has some very good reason for doing so.”
    “To a great mind, nothing is little"

• the_enclave

"the way of kings" by Brandon Sanderson, and the rest of the stormlight archive series after that. "life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination"
    "priest" by Matthew Colville. it's hardboiled fantasy and extremely vulgar, tho. "a man isn't the worst thing he's ever done."

• Dmoral

Pride & Prejudice (and anything really Jane Austen)

• elliem

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard:
    - "The truth is what I make it. I could set the world on fire and call it rain."
    - "You don't see us, and so we are everywhere. And we will rise up, Red as the dawn."
    Queen of Nothing by Holly Black:
    - "I think of his riddle. How do people like us take off our armour? One piece at a time."
    - "Maybe it isn't the worst thing to want to be loved, even if you're not. Even if it hurts. Maybe being human isn't always being weak. Maybe it was the shame that was the problem."
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee:
    - "Before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself."
    = "People generally see what they look for and hear what they listen for."

• HelpMe512

Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card
    An Ember In The Ashes by Sabaa Tahir
    Scythe by Neal Shusterman
    Eragon by Christopher Paolini
    Dry by Neal Shusterman
    What If It's Us by Becky Albertalli and Adam Silvera

• Sanjana Sunilkumar

1) Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen

“We are all fools in love”

2)Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte

“If all the world hated you and believed you wicked, while your own conscience approved you, and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without friends.”

3) Romeo and Juliet - William Shakespeare

"Thus with a kiss I die"

4) The girl in room 105 - Chetan Bhagat
    [I love this book so much that I am happy share many dialogues from this novel]

“I have a problem in life, uncle. I have always found it hard to “just move on”.”
    “When you lose something, don’t think of it as a loss. Accept it as a gift that gets you on the path you were meant to travel on”
    “Nowadays, people don’t fall in love. They swipe left and right…”
    “Thank you. For showing me what love is all about. And thank you for also teaching me to never love someone too much.”
    "One day I will have a six-pack like you. Actually, I do have one. It’s just hidden under some tissue"

5) The count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas

“All human wisdom is contained in these two words - Wait and Hope”

There are a lot more books I would love to share, but that needs a face-to-face talk. So, let me end up here :)

I'm back, sorry I just realized that I didn't put the author for Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. It's Ransom Riggs. Here are a couple more books I love:
    Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery
    Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

I agree with Anne Blackwood about A Mango Shaped Space. It is a very good book, as are the rest of Wendy Mass's novels. Every Soul a Star is one of them, and the Candymakers is another. I haven't read them in a while, but they left a profound impact on me.

A book series that I love is Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. The characters are well-developed, and every time I reread it, it's like coming home to a group of friends. Peculiar friends, but friends. (don't bother with the movie; they changed so much of the book)

I've always loved all of Roald Dahl's books, but my favorite would have to be The BFG. The movie is actually pretty good, but the book is obviously better. The tone of the book is so fun. Here's a quote from it:
    “‘The matter with human beans,’ the BFG went on, ‘is that they is absolutely refusing to believe anything unless they is actually seeing it right in front of their own schnozzles.'” There's also a couple Roald Dahl quotes in my message from writer thingy.

All my secrets by Sophie McKenzie- The plotline is amazing, and for drama/mystery lovers like myself, it is a must read

A Little Princess by Frances H. Burnett- A very realistic story, revolving around a girl who goes from riches to rags, and how she survives. Suitable for almost any type of reader

The Girl Who Drank The Moon by Kelly Barnhill- A story revolving around a misunderstood witch in a forest, who is given a baby every year as a sacrifice, who in turn fed the baby starlight and gave the baby to families on the other side of the forest. One year, when, instead of feeding starlight to the baby, she feeds her moonlight, and raises the baby as her own. But on the baby's 13th birthday, strange things start to happen. Wonderful story for any age.

• Writers of the World

UPDATE: Repeats are welcome! Actually, very liked! If you see a piece that we wanted to mention but someone beat you to it--MENTION IT ANYWAY!! It'll all make sense in the end--i promise ;). So yes, I love repeats

I'll stick to (somewhat) less well-known books.

My most recent book love is There You'll Find Me. Jenny B. Jones perfectly balances comedic one-liners, sweet characters, clever descriptions, and a message that shifted my whole outlook on life.

Serendipity and Me by Judith L. Roth is a book that I still adore, despite growing older than the main character and reading the book multiple times. When I want a rich, poetic (it's written in verse), and sentimental book, this is where I turn.

I do not own A Mango Shaped Space by Wendy Mass, but I certainly intend to change that, because this novel is one of the most well-written works I've ever read. I devoured this story of synthesis, coming of age, and cats by the light of my phone at a sleepover because I couldn't bear the thought of not finishing it.

I hope you all enjoy these glorious pieces of fiction!

• uninspired

All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven. The book is way better than the movie, of course. I cried, laughed and blushed probably hundreds of times throughout it. It is my favourite book of all time. Not only does it have a really good plot line, but there are multiple valuable lessons to be learnt from the story.
    "You are all the colours in one, at full brightness", -Theodore Finch <3<3<3<3

Life as We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer. That’s the first book in the series, but the other books are amazing as well. Usually dystopian novels come off as unrealistic but interesting, but this was legitimate enough to make me lie awake at night. Absolutely haunting.

• joella

all of this is true by lygia day penaflor is a really intruiging read and definitely different from most of the books out there- I just read it yesterday and loved it

• Charisse Marison

I love The School for Good and Evil by Soman Chainani because not only is it hilarious, it's also action packed and a bit of a romance as well <3

• Dmoral

The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare and like, Edgar Allen Poe anything is dark and twisty it's so good

• poetri

dandelion wine by ray bradbury is too perfect for this world and if scripts count (i'm a huge film person and am constantly writing/reading scripts so I think they're literature. if not thats fine) the florida project script by sean baker is a heartbreaking work of art.