Juniper

Hi, anyone who’s reading this! Well, for starters, I LOVE cats. That’s the most common fact about me. I’m an avid reader, I like listening to music, and I like to joke. A LOT. Anyway, thanks for stopping by!!

This is one of my favorite quotes. It’s by Steve Jobs:

HERE’S TO THE CRAZY ONES.
THE MISFITS. THE REBELS. THE TROUBLEMAKERS.
THE ROUND PEGS IN THE SQUARE HOLES.
THE ONES WHO SEE THINGS DIFFERENTLY.
THEY’RE NOT FOND OF RULES.
AND THEY HAVE NO RESPECT FOR THE STATUS QUO.
YOU CAN QUOTE THEM, DISAGREE WITH THEM,
DISBELIEVE THEM, GLORIFY OR VILIFY THEM.
ABOUT THE ONLY THING YOU CAN’T DO, IS IGNORE THEM
BECAUSE THEY CHANGE THINGS.
THEY INVENT. THEY IMAGINE. THEY HEAL.
THEY EXPLORE. THEY CREATE. THEY INSPIRE.
THEY PUSH THE HUMAN RACE FORWARD.
MAYBE THEY HAVE TO BE CRAZY.
BECAUSE THE ONES WHO ARE CRAZY ENOUGH
TO THINK THAT THEY CAN CHANGE THE WORLD,
ARE THE ONES WHO DO.

Mysteries in the Basement

ACT 1:

Scene One:

(CAMERON, a logical blond haired teenager who wants to become a scientist, SOPHIE, his adventure-craving twin sister, who also sports blond hair, and and wants to someday climb Mount Everest, and TENLEY, a bronze haired British bookworm of a girl who wishes that her books could be her reality, are lounging on the blue-gray sectional (centerstage, turned so the audience can see their faces) of the living room at the twin’s house watching a documentary on the TV (downstage left, and the screen facing upstage).  The twin’s parents were rich, so the TV was enormous and sat on a stone fireplace mantle original to the remodeled 1800’s house.  Their eyes are glued to the television when suddenly TENLEY gasps.)

TENLEY:  Oh no, I hope that lion doesn’t attack the leopard cub!

CAMERON:  I thought you liked the Detroit Lions, Tenley?  (Glances quizzically)

TENLEY: Cameron, we’re watching an animal documentary, not football!  (gestures at screen.)

CAMERON:  (embarrassed)  Um—

SOPHIE:  Hush!  We’re gonna miss the frickin’ thing if ya keep blabberin’!  (shoves her brother, snatches the remote from where it sits on the coffee table in front of them, and turns the volume to the max.  CAMERON tugs the controller out of SOPHIE’s hand, lowers the volume again, and turns to his sister.)

CAMERON:  What in the world did ya do that for, Sophie?!

SOPHIE:  ‘Cause all you two were doin’— (Cut off by a flash of lightening and clap of thunder.)

ALL:  AH!  (Grabbing on to each other, looking around in terror.)

(A loud beeping noise that sounds like a thunderstorm warning comes from the television.  The kids rush over and stand around it (facing the audience but watching the TV) as a voice blares out.)

WARNING VOICE:  Tornado warning for this area.  Get to low ground immediately.  Take all pets and family members and do not go outside under any circumstances.

SOPHIE:  Oh no!  What do we do?!  (Stands frozen.)

CAMERON:  Were you not listening?  We need to get downstairs to the basement, now!  (Grabs the elderly gray family cat, CHESTER, and hauls SOPHIE after him offstage right.  TENLEY on their heels.)

(Stage goes dark. . .)

Scene Two:

(Stage lights spotlight centerstage.)

(CAMERON, SOPHIE, TENLEY, and CHESTER are all huddled underneath an oak table (centerstage beneath the spotlight) with stacks of boxes surrounding them.)

(Lights flicker on and off and a rumbling sound can be heard nearby.)

Tenley:  Ahhhhh!  (Hugs CHESTER tightly.)

SOPHIE:  (shouting over all the noise fear lacing her words) CAMERON, I just want you to know. . . that if we don’t make it out of this. . . I’m sorry that I hit you. . . in the head with that ball yesterday!

CAMERON:  It’s fine. . . I got you back big time for that, anyway!

SOPHIE:  You didn—  (thunder)

(Two siblings hug each other and join TENLEY in screaming.)

(Stage goes dark and sounds stop.)

Scene Three:

(Lights flicker on, showing and overturned table with nobody around it and piles of overturned boxes.  SOPHIE and CAMERON burst out of boxes gasping.)

CAMERON:  We made it!  (grins at sister with relief)

SOPHIE:  Woohoo!  (Grins back at CAMERON.  Pauses and frowns.)  About what I said—

CAMERON:  Forgotten.

SOPHIE:  (nodding)  Same.  (Finally realizing that TENLEY is missing.)  Hey, where’s—

TENLEY:  (Bursts out of another pile with a box covering her head.)  Hey, who turned da lights off?  CAMERON?!  SOPHIE?!  Where are you guys?!  (Stumbles closer to where her friends are standing.  CAMERON reaches over and lifts the box off of her head, revealing a bewildered TENLEY who blushes at her ridiculousness.  The twins laugh while TENLEY looks around at anything and everything but them.  Then, pausing, stares at something that appears to be offstage.)

TENLEY:  What’s that?  (Points to a now illuminated wooden door, (centerstage left facing audience) like ones that you find in Mid Evil castles)

CAMERON:  (approaching door) No clue.  Have you seen it before, sis?

SOPHIE:  (shakes head)  Nope.

TENLEY:  What’d ya think’s behind it?  (Goes to stand next to CAMERON.)

CAMERON:  (grins at them.)  Wanna find out?

SOPHIE:  Duh, knucklehead!

TENLEY:  (exclaims at the same time)  Definitely!

(CAMERON tugs on the iron handle of the door.)

(Lights go down)

Scene Four:

(Lights turn on.  CAMERON, SOPHIE, CHESTER, and TENLEY are center stage facing the audience.  Setting is in a pine forest.  The door behind them is closed.)

TENLEY:  (Spins in a circle, coming to a stop downstage center.)  Correct me if I’m wrong, but, we were just at your house, in your basement, at, five o’clock was it?  And now it’s the middle of the night in a forest.  Where the bloody heck are we, anyway?!

CAMERON:  (Comes to stand beside TENLEY.)  Maybe a. . . magical forest or something?

SOPHIE:  Guys. . .

TENLEY:  Kinda like my books come ta life. . .

SOPHIE:  Guys?

CAMERON:  Ya. . .

SOPHIE:  GUYS!

TENLEY & CAMERON:  (whipping partly (So the audience can still see them.) around to face her.)  What?

(SOPHIE points at a pair of golden eyes in the shadows of the trees.  More appear as she slips over to her friends)

TENLEY:  Ar—are those wolves?

CAMERON:  N—no, probably just some. . . feral cats or something!

SOPHIE:  Wow, great thinking, brainiac!  (A wolf growl comes from the direction of the first pair of eyes). You still think those are pussycats?  

CAMERON:  No?

(Suddenly CHESTER darts for the door.  The friends scramble after him.  As they reach the door the stage goes dark.)

Scene Five:

(Lights come up and kids are standing in the basement in front of the door panting.)

SOPHIE:  What. . . was that?

CAMERON:  Ya think I know?!

SOPHIE:  No, I was asking TENLEY!

TENLEY: Ya think I know?!

SOPHIE:  Someone has to know! (Pauses, her need for adventure rising) But whatever that was, I wanna go back.

CAMERON:  (aghast) You—you what?!  You’re nuts!

TENLEY:  (semi-guiltily)  I wanna go back too.

CAMERON:  You’re BOTH nuts!  (Kids argue as they exit stage right.)

THE END

• ElsaRee

Nice job, June!