sunny.v

she/her | asian
wtw community’s official older sister
running off into the sunset with circe
est. april 27, 2020

swordwielding protector of all minority groups
satire sorceress, lady knight

she clasps peonies, allure, & love

racial hate crimes have been on the rise. (i published this a while ago when hate crimes against asians were getting to their worst, and i’m redoing it now for feedback!)

an open letter from the immigrants’ daughter

26
i am not what you make me out to be.

just know there are people across the sea,
people, my people, who look like me,
who get by alright, but cannot speak free,
because the government won’t give them the opportunity.

and yes, we’re in the U.S., our pride? free speech!
but we cannot give hate crimes immunity,
ignorance is the virus, and there is no vaccine:
you spread the infection when you call COVID “Chinese”.

we’re in this together, despite quarantine,
this is our enemy: COVID-nineteen,
take part in compassion, not idiocy:
your hatred and intolerance are the real disease.

asians are not your enemy,
in the midst of hate crimes, listen to me:
lend a helping hand, don’t just “let it be”—

because how you treat us? this will be history.
i’m an asian girl who, like many other asians around the world, has experienced rather unpleasant things in the midst of all this. please be mindful of others. feedback appreciated!

1

• journal.screams (#Queenie's Halloween)

Wow, I just came across this. Thank you so so so much for writing it.

Replying: Dang, your comment got me a bit emotional. Thank you!

• van gogh's girl

Sending love for you and others of your community and anger at those who say offensive crap

• morgn

Thank you so much for writing this! As the daughter of an Asian immigrant, it hurts my heart that our very own president has alienated an entire group of people who belong here just as much as he does. I hate that my mother, who has lived in this country for forty years now, still has to try and prove to others that she's American. When will more people realize that American doesn't just mean white?

I really agree with this! People need to remember that it was not the Asian people's fault that the coronavirus started; they were as much victims as we are, especially with the oppressive Chinese government.

Thanks for the comment on my play; I literally didn't even know I won until seeing your comment.

• delete

YOURE ABSOLUTELY CORRECT! I’m a white person, but I was so upset at how other whites people that I associated with were blaming Chinese and Asian people for the virus. I go to a drama group and we were playing a word association game and someone said coronavirus and then someone else said Chinese, the drama teacher didn’t really do anything about it :(. I’m so glad you’ve brought this to light, I would like to leave a review because you’ve been so kind and commented on my works.

• ElsaRee

Amazing work! This work is simply awesome! Let's hope the world will realise its injustice. <3

• And_The_Stars_Laughed

I agree with @anoushka1705, this is very powerful. Hate crimes are terrible and not okay in any way, I'm so sorry that you've had to go through this. Thank you so much for writing this, it needs to be said and you phrased it so beautifully!!

This is so powerful, as most of your work is. I'm so sorry that you have been discriminated against simply because you're asian. The virus isn't an excuse for racism. Thank you for this.

• mia_:)

Discrimination is awful and I think that lots of people relate, sadly. I'm so sorry that you had to go through this and agree that, though we have free speech, hate crimes are definitely NOT OK and I hate that our country is always singling out some minority (not to be said that everyone does this; I'm just talking about society as a whole). That being said, what a piece! Your flow was probably my fav part. It would make great spoken word! <3 :)

• Tushar Mandhan

I could relate to it. First time I ever faced discrimination was because of my skin colour. I was sharing my script with a producer on linkedin when I got a message that read 'colour of your skin white?' I really had no idea how to react but that was when I realised the challenges life possess once you step out of the comfort of your house.

• muirann

This is really powerful, thank you for sharing this with us!!

Beautiful! Also I love ur pfp.