Zachary

I am a junior at Bart Charter High School hoping to write a good essay.

All feedback necessary.

The Imeperialism and inhumanities in Leopold's Congo.

When people think of Imperialism, they might think about Darth Vader from the beloved Star Wars movies. The reason being, he is the leader of an "imperial" empire. However, despite the fact that Vader is a fictional science fiction character, he is an extraordinary example of imperialism. Keeping that in mind, Imperialism has been a major part of many events in real world history. For example, The Britain used imperialism on the 13 colonies using taxation without representation. However, another imperialistic moment in history that happened was when the greedy King Leopold II of Belgium in Europe, took over the Congo in South Africa. In Adam Hochchilds' novel, "King Leopold's Ghost." Hochchild writes the well researched chronologic events of Leopold's rule from beginning to end. These events of history have been known as, "Leopolds' rape of the Congo." The imperialism begins when Leopold was beginning to create the personal colonies. Sending out the explorer Henry Morton Stanley into the Congo to discover and make ammends with the natives, (tricking them into signing treaties not even written in their language.) The affect was that it gave Leopold much power over their land and he planned to use it to his vision and desire. Africa, at this point in history, was a target for many other countries to control. This was called, "The Scramble for Africa." Seemingly, it was no surprise that Leopold got involved. Having earned the fundings to his Congo* and sending Stanley through it more than once, Leopold along with the Belgian Colonial Empire used military force and exposed the Congo for its newly discovered rubber supply, which was very valuable at the time. Missionaries soon put the natives, known as the Congolese people, to work making them collect rubber. Being that this was known as the "rape" of the Congo, what occurred with

Human nature in the congo

• Leopold had organized a campaign for the congo. Then the major powers, including Leopold, all gathered at The Berlin Conference. The result was Leopold got the fundings he needed, which he himself did not even have to pay.