wordsmith

Hi everyone, it´s Yana! The reason why I created a Write the World account is I wanted to find a platform where I could share my writing with other young adults across the country. I seek to make my writing, especially my essays, vivid and creative.

I delieved these speeches on the morning announcements for our school's 2020 FIght Bullying Campaign. This is an issue I'm passionate about, as I've been a victim of bullying. Word up!

Fight Bullying 2020

6
DAY 1
Hi everyone! I’m from the Anti Bullying Club here at East. You might have seen our posters around the school halls last year.  In this month of March, as part of our 2020 Fight Bullying Campaign, we want all of you to join our mission to make our school 100% bully free. No one should have to face harassment or have to feel low self esteem from their peers in a place as important as school.
For these three weeks we want everyone at this school to be fully aware and ready to prevent any kind of bullying. Whether it be emotional, physical or verbal.
Hi everyone my name is Kiri Riccio. I really think bullying is very much a big issue at our high school. I’m sad to say  I’ve seen it happen in many different forms.
That’s why I 100% agree with yana and Believe that the East should be a safe space and bully free. This month, let’s all consciously try to fight bullying.
Kiri or Yana : Here’s the statistics for the day: More than one out of every five students report being bullied according to the National Center for Educational Statistics). 

DAY 2
Our goal in this month of march is to spread awareness about bullying and more about preventing it. However, we also want to spread a message about our inner strength and being strong when others put you down.
In the words of Maya Angelou, a civil rights activist and poet, “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” 

DAY 3
You don’t have to have been a victim of bullying in order to recognize and stop it. By being bystanders, we are passively encouraging the bully to continue.
According to stopbullying.gov, only about 20 to 30% of students seek help.
Elie WIsel was a Holocaust survivor who wrote the accalimed memoir Night.
A quote from him says ¨¨What hurts the victim most is not the cruelty of the oppressor, but the silence of the bystander."

DAY 4
Peer pressure is when we feel inclined to follow social norms or fit in with everyone else. 
A lot of times peer pressure and bullying are linked, as people who don’t succumb to peer pressure are bullied.
Be on the lookout for people who bully and make fun of people who aren’t afraid to express their individuality.
Let’s promote positive peer pressure, where each one of us encourages one another to be kind, welcoming, and ready to report and prevent bullying.
In the words of Abraham Lincoln: “"I would rather be a little nobody than to be an evil somebody."   

DAY 5
Bullies are often struggling with some part of their lives, and they are usually insecure.
Bullies are people too, and we need to reform their behavior ratheIf you want to stop yourself from all possibilities of being a bully, remember the golden  rule: treat others how you want to be treated. 
Put yourself in other people's shoes. Empathy is so important.

DAY 6
 We are sure that everybody here doesn´t support bullying. But what's really important are the steps that we take to fight it. We want to remind everyone to be the change that you want to see. 
Also, we should be wary about the dangers of clique. A clique is an exclusive group of friends that purposely excludes other people from joining their group.

DAY 7
Today's society is overwhelmingly digital. The internet and social media connects us together more than ever before, which can be a positive thing. However, we should be careful in what we say to others online. Cyberbullying is a real issue, and we should never personally insult or harass someone. Don't hide behind a username.
It can even be from someone you think is your friend, as we heard from one of the people at our school we interviewed. It can be really damaging to your self confidence and social life.
Thank you for listening, and we hope you have a day.

DAY 8
It's okay to ask for help when you are struggling with any kind of social problem, including bullying. Our school has wonderful teachers, counselors, and staff that are willing to listen and help. If you are not comfortable talking directly to someone, there is even an anonymous tip line online on our school website. Of course you can definitely contact any of the Anti Bullying Club leaders at _______. The Anti Bullying Club is always available to listen and help, with the help of adults.

DAY 9
East Chapel Hill high school is a very competitive school, and some people really feel academic pressure. Sometimes, this can lead to really bad competition and trying to trump yourself above others. Let's all remember we are all humans and try to cooperate and build each other up, rather than having a toxic learning environment.
Speaking of learning, let’s talk about something that’s not really talked about or recognized. Many people in our school have ADHD, dyselxia, or other learning problems. High school students tends to discriminate against these people by labelling them as dumb and stupid. We should keep in mind that people who have these problems are an easier target-let’s try to fix this problem.

DAY 10
 I want to share with you guys a little anecdote of why I am so passionate about bullying. I was verbally taunted and made fun of for a whole year 5th grade from a girl in my class, I was threatened constantly, nearly every day I was told that I deserved to be beat up and that my  face would be shoved into the grass. 
I didn’t tell anyone and let myself be continually bullied and pushed around because I thought it was somehow my fault, or perhaps that it wasn’t a big deal. Classmates remained bystanders, and the teachers didn’t notice.
The reason why I'm sharing this with everyone is to prove that bullying is a REAL PROBLEM, and that is sad and outrageous. Although my experience with bullying was a long time ago, that trauma has stayed with me. Over the years I have tried to hide it and suppress it, but it has only destroyed my self confidence and self esteem. That's why I decided I was done feeling sorry for myself
over being bullied and decided to take an active stance against it and stand up for victims all over our school. 

DAY 11
As we wrap up the 2020 Fight Bullying Campaign of preventing bullying and spreading awareness about it, we want to mention a tragic event that happened at our school. 
In ______, a student who did have mental health problems but was also severly bullied committed suicide on our very own campus. We should never underestimate the terrible effects of bullying, and we should always prevent this kind of tragedy from happening. Please remember that bullying has consequences.

DAY 12
As someone who has personally struggled with their body image, I can say that especially for females there are really hurtful expectations of what is beautiful and not. We just want to remind you that whatever size you are, you shouldn't find the need to change yourself because of other people. If you feel healthy , why should you want to fix who you are?

DAY 13
We want to remind you that telling people that you are being bullied¨ as a joke without really meaning it, it decreases the seriousness and reality of bullying. We should not take bullying that lightly and joke and have fun with it.

DAY 14
We'd like to remind everyone that East Chapel Hill high school has a strict zero tolerance policy for bullying. As high schoolers from freshmen to seniors, we all need to work together in order to make our school safe, welcoming, and suitable for learning. Let's all be kind to each other, no matter what we look like or if we ¨fit" in. 
Thank you all for participating in our 2020 Campaign to FIght Bullying and we urge you to continue to combat bullying! Please contact us with any questions; our door is always open!

• soiree

queen

• kassidyreggarini

Bullying is never okay. Day 10' s message is so impactful :)