Ibex

as in Presbyterian Church in America
Female
Writer
Novelist
Poet!
Reader
Ambivert or something
Band nerd + Drum Major
Planet Earth nerd
etc, etc
Joined September 10, 2019

Sometimes I tell stories. Most of the time I rattle my soul until I break and my heart spills out onto the page.

"I cannot jump the distance. You'll have to toss me!"--Gimli, LOTR

I am a complete nerd. I got the Ring of Power for my birthday.

Book recommendations:
The Oath--Frank E. Peretti
Lord of the Rings--J.R.R. Tolkien

Song recommendation: "Awake" by Beckah Shae

I'm going to meet the King someday!
And I'm super pumped!

Sunrise: Chapters 7, 8, and 9

2
Chapter 7
    The village people stared at the sky. They were absolutely flabbergasted, including Makuahine, and she was the only person who knew what was going on.
    They had been staring at the sky for over an hour, and the sun was starting to rise. Hewa would be coming soon, and the entire village knew it.
    “What’s that awful noise I hear? Perhaps the sound of a thousand demons filling the sky?” someone who sounded very tired and annoyed asked. Makuahine soon realized it was the midwife, and her heart filled with anger and disgust. That evil woman had tried to kill her child, and now she was simply waiting for the demons to exterminate the entire family.
Makuahine looked around and realized that the other village people were starting to crowd around around her and Palekana. They all seemed rather solemn as they stared at little Koa, and they gave her and Palekana a grave nod of respect.
    They think we’re going to die! Makuahine thought to herself. For a moment, she too thought she was going to die at Hewa’s hand, and fear filled her heart and soul. But then she remembered Mahina. She was protected by the Moon’s power, as were Palekana and her child, Koa. And she started to laugh. Who could oppose her? She couldn’t die at someone’s hand until she laid her eyes on Ikaika the Strong, and her chances of finding Ikaika anytime soon were slim. She laughed harder as person after person gave her strange looks, and she started to laugh even more when the other villagers screamed and darted away when the black cloud of demons descended from the sky.
    But as she saw the gruesome legions of creatures before her, the moment of hysteria fled from her heart, and she was overcome by fear.
    Only Palekana stood by her as the demons surrounded them, and Makuahine shuddered as Hewa stepped out of the crowd of monsters. His black eyes bored into her, and she felt chills riding up her spine.
    “Well, Makuahine Inoa,” Hewa grinned savagely, his long fangs glinting in the morning sunlight, “It seems you have given birth to a daughter. A daughter of the dragon’s eye. Pity, though, since she must die.”
    Feeling the power of Mahina within her, Makuahine hissed, “Do your worst, evil one. You do not frighten me, nor I do not fear the darkness that lies before me.”
    Hewa clenched his teeth, “I will give you one last chance to repent of your actions, as commanded by the all-powerful Lady of Darkness. If you agree to throw your daughter into the sea, I and my army will spare your life, as well as the life of your pitiful husband. But if not, all three of you will die, beginning with you, the mother of the curse.”
    Makuahine, disgusted by such a prospect, shouted, “I would rather die a thousand times than give my daughter to the sea. She is mine, and you shall not have her.”
    Hewa shook his head, laughing, “Very well, Makuahine Inoa. May you be forever tortured in the Underworld.” Then, calling to his army, he cried out, “Demons of the Night! Come! Now is the time to end this scandalous act against the great and wonderful Darkness!”
    Each demon let out a savage roar, each one more terrifying than the next. Palekana wrapped his strong arms around his wife and daughter, hoping, in vain, to protect them. But Makuahine knew that, despite all his efforts, he would not be able to hold off the demons for more than a moment. Then she reminded herself of Mahina’s protection, and she remembered not to be afraid of the demons closing in. She looked Palekana in the eyes and nodded. He understood what she wanted as soon as he saw the look on her face, but he didn’t understand why. He placed his arms at his sides, and Makuahine stepped forward, her baby in her arms.
    The swirling, black cloud of demons descended upon her and Koa, and she gave Palekana a sad smile before the monsters obscured her from view.

Chapter 8
    “No!” Palekana shouted as the beasts hid his wife from his eyes, “No!” And just when he thought all was lost, he heard Hewa’s terrible laugh, and he cried out in anguish, the demons screamed, their black cloud exploding in a flash of blinding white light. 
    The blast knocked Palekana to the ground, and he laid there for several seconds, thinking he was dead. But when he felt the tickle of the island sand on the side of his face, and he heard the terrible screams of a thousand demons, he knew he wasn’t dead. But was his wife? And his daughter? What had happened to them? He had to know. He forced himself to open his eyes and look up at where they had been standing. 
    What he saw amazed him.
    Makuahine was still standing with little Koa, and she and the child were unharmed. A white light was blazing around them, and it formed the shape of a great dragon. The demons screamed in horror as the dragon roared, and the sound was deafening, as if coming from all directions. Then, the dragon was transformed into the shape of a strangely familiar young woman, who shone like the sun. The woman’s voice sounded across the island.
    That’s right, you foul creatures. Someone else is playing this game. Palekana stared in amazement at his wife and daughter. Makuahine looked towards him, and she motioned for him to join her. He quickly stood up and ran over to her, his eyes wide in amazement. Most of the demons were lying dead or paralyzed on the sandy beach, and some of them were already starting to dissolve into a black mist, as all demons did when they were destroyed. Hewa himself was on the ground, but he was not yet lifeless. He appeared disheveled and confused, yet he was starting to get to his feet once more. Palekana gazed at his wife with complete admiration and respect.
    “What… what was that?” he asked, “Are you one of the High Ones?”
    Makuahine laughed. To him, her laughter was like the sound of a million bells ringing throughout the island, celebrating her escape from the Hewa and the demons of Night, “I’m no High One, Palekana.”
    “Then... how did you survive the demons’ attack? And Koa? How did she survive?”
    “Well…” Makuahine smiled, “I did have help from one of the High Ones. She placed protection on you, me, and Koa. Now that her sign has been placed on us, no one can harm us until we lay our eyes on Ikaika the Strong.”
    “It was Mahina, wasn’t it? Only she would let your protection end when you laid eyes on her brother,” Palekana looked his wife in the eye, “You can tell me what happened.”
    Makuahine nodded solemnly, “Yes. Yes, it was indeed Mahina. She came to me during the night. She told me that Koa was the one who would save us from Darkness, and that she had to be protected from Hewa. She placed protection on Koa, and she blessed the two of us by granting us protection as well, for she believed that, in order for Koa to grow up strong and have the courage to live her life as it was meant to be, she would need loving parents to guide and nurture her.”
    “A wise woman, that Mahina,” Palekana smiled. Then, as if saying a prayer, he lifted his hands above his head and looked up at the sky, “Great Mahina, we are eternally grateful.”
    Then the couple heard Hewa’s seething hiss coming from another spot on the beach, “So it was Mahina, was it? Arrgh! I should have known not to let her have a night to walk among the humans! She should have been lighting the skies last night. But I let her convince Darkness to let her spend time away from the clouds to comfort humanity!” He lifted his arms, and as his black wings unfurled, he took flight. What were left of the other demons followed him into the brilliant blue sky, and he let out a savage scream, “Come, demons of the Night! The Light Mother has risen into the sky, and we must leave this place, never to return, no matter how many times the great and noble Darkness tells us to come back! Fly, fly away from this foul birthplace of sinister rebellion!”
    And so the demons disappeared into the white, puffy clouds, turning them a terrible gray. Palekana and Makuahine stood together on the beach as the other villagers emerged from the hiding spots they had taken when the demons descended.
    “What… How… Why did you survive the attack?” the midwife asked.
    “Well…” Makuahine started, “I had protection given to me, Koa, and Palekana by-”
    “The great Mahina herself!” Palekana was jumping up and down with excitement, “She came to us in our sleep last night!”
    “Of course she did!” the midwife spat on the ground, “You’re all just a bunch of demons, that’s what! You, that demon dragon child of yours, and especially that hideous Mahina!”
    “Now, just wait one second!” Palekana balled his fists and marched over to the midwife, “I’ll tell you who the demons are! Those terrible monsters who just attacked us! And maybe you are too, you horrid midwife!”
    “I am not a demon! The only demons around here are you and your loathsome family, and that blasted Mahina! In fact, if there’s one demon in the world, it’s her! And she always has been! Always!”
    Then a new voice entered the conversation, “She wasn’t when I was born, midwife Kauka.” All eyes turned towards the one who was speaking. It was the  old village storyteller, Ha’i,  and she was leaning heavily on her twisted, wooden cane. She gingerly stepped forward, and she trembled slightly as she put her foot down on the sand. Several people reached out to help her, but she shooed them away, “All of you, sit. Let me tell you a story about the Light Mother and her sister Darkness. Then you’ll see the real demons in this world.” And so the villagers, all of them, sat in a large circle around Ha’i, and they listened to what the old woman had to say.
    “Let us begin with the peace that once was…”

Chapter 9
    The Light Mother, the great, shining dragon, sat in the glorious throne room, atop her beautiful, gold throne. She emitted a wonderful light that filled the heavens with beauty. Great open windows bordered the room, and the Earth below was visible to all who dared to look out. Her two children were also in the throne room, and they seemed to be enjoying the silence. Mahina stood up and left the room for a short moment, and returned carrying a platter of freshly cooked meat and bread, as well as fresh fruit grown by the loyal citizens living on the island. The Light Mother laughed as her daughter brought a steaming dish of meat and the fruits of the Earth before her, kneeling respectfully. 
    “Do you really think that will feed all of us, dear Mahina?” the Light Mother asked, “Such food is not quite enough for three High Ones.” Ikaika, in his silver dragon form, was laid out on the steps of the Light Mother’s throne. He laughed in his dragon way, a rumble deep in his throat. Mahina, the only one not in her dragon form, glared at her brother.
“Don’t you dare laugh at me, Ikaika, or I’ll call upon the Fates to smite you!” Mahina tossed her hair back into a more unified position, which was her way of showing off to her brother. The Light Mother laughed at her children, but not in the way of a bully or an enemy.
    “Mahina, such behavior is not fitting for a daughter of the Light. In fact, I declare that today is a day of peace!” the Light Mother exclaimed with a smile. She seemed amused by her two children, and her Light continued to grow ever brighter as she watched them.
    “Are you so sure, Sister Light?” a dragon as black as night stepped into the throne room, and hundreds of demons followed her, spreading throughout the room. Ikaika growled and stood up, and Mahina dropped the platter, resisting the urge not to scream as the demons surrounded her and began to gobble up the food. They were immensely intimidating to her, for she was not only in human form, her weaker form, but she had also never seen such ghastly creatures.
    The black dragon roared, and the demons stopped eating the food.
    “Leave it, you idiots! There is work to be done!” the black dragon, whose name was Darkness, turned towards her sister, the Light Mother, “I do not think you will remain on that throne for much longer, Light.”
    The Light Mother growled and sprang off her throne, quickly forfeiting it to the demons who had been surrounding it. She landed in front of Darkness, and she returned a couple of demons to the Underworld in her wake.
    “Well, well, well!” Darkness’s dragon face contorted into a crooked grin, her pearly white fangs shining in the Light Mother’s glow, “It seems you have already violated your decree. Did you not just say that today would be a day of peace?”
    The Light Mother bared her fangs and ignored Darkness’s comment, “I told you to stay in the Underworld, Little Sister. Do you call intruding in my home and letting these demons contaminate this place ‘staying in the Underworld? I don’t!”
    Darkness laughed, her cruel tone sending shivers down the spines of all the Light Ones in the room, including Ikaika, the strongest of all of them, “You don’t understand! All of this is now part of the Underworld, as will the rest of the Universe once I get my hands on it! You told me to stay in the Underworld? Well, I’m tired of you always ruling the sky and the Earth. It’s not right for you to rule for eternity. There needs to be a change of the regime.”
    Ikaika took a step towards Darkness and stepped on a few demons, and Mahina changed into her dragon form, preparing for the worst. The demons moved back, forming a large empty circle around the Light Mother and Darkness. Darkness unfurled her huge black wings and then pressed them back against her sides, as if trying to show her dominance. The Light Mother drew her claws across the clean, tile floor, leaving streaks of gold, and readied herself for battle. The demons created impenetrable barriers around Ikaika and Mahina, hoping to prevent them from intervening if things went wrong for the Light Mother. Ikaika growled and shook the demons off of his back, only to have more climb on top of him. Mahina rolled over, and flattened all the demons around her and the ones on her back, but still more came. And then, the battle began.

Darkness leapt at the Light Mother and knocked her to the ground. The Light Mother struggled under her sister’s grip, but the younger dragon was stronger and more nimble, for whenever the Light Mother tried to strike a blow, Darkness evaded her. The winner of the battle had clearly already been decided, and Ikaika and Mahina struggled to make their way over to their mother, only to have the demons hold them back. The Light Mother tossed her sister off of her back, and Darkness went flying into the wall, but she didn’t stay down for long. As soon as the Light Mother regained her footing, Darkness tackled her again, and the black dragon bit down on her sister’s throat. The Light Mother roared in anguish as Darkness shook her by the neck, and then, with a burst of strength, Darkness tossed her sister onto the floor, just inches away from the huge windows.
    “Admit it, Sister! I’ve already won!” Darkness grinned devilishly, “Surrender now, and I’ll spare your life. But if you don’t, I’ll throw you from the sky!” The Light Mother struggled to get to her feet, but a swarm of demons climbed on top of her and held her down. She looked her sister in the eye.
    “You will never win, Darkness, even if you kill me!” And then, the Light Mother, the great gold dragon, raised her head and began to chant a prophecy:

She will rise from the island place,
On wings of silver she will race,
To save her people, the Whatunai,
The one born of Earth and Sky.
Thus I curse you, sister of mine,
For in your final span of time,
You, Darkness, will be defeated by,
The one to avenge me, the dragon’s eye!

Darkness stared at her sister and started to laugh, throwing back her black, scaly head in a great roar of amusement. The demons joined her, and the throne room was filled with the chorus of a thousand, evil laughs. Mahina and Ikaika felt tears coming into their eyes. They knew their mother had just surrendered her life to the demons of the Night and Darkness.
    “Then I will kill this girl of whom you speak!” Darkness grinned, “Now you will die, Sister Light! And I will be the ruler of the heavens!”
    And Darkness leapt across the throne room with a powerful burst from her hind legs. She grabbed the Light Mother by the throat with her fanged jaws and shook her ferociously, before sending her crashing through the nearest window. And so it was that the Light Mother fell from the sky, leaving Darkness as the ruler of her domain.

• April 26, 2020 - 9:20am (Now Viewing)