birthdaycandles

Ireland

Just an 18 yr old aspiring to be something like a living, walking (and writing) hug.

Pfp is art by Vanessa Stockard <3

Things close to my heart:
God, my family + climate change

-Joined Sept 2019, active since March 2020-
prev. AutumnRain

"In the end I think you're gonna wish you loved yourself a lot more, and craved love from everybody else a lot less."
- a song I can't remember the name of

Current reads...
- Mrs Dalloway
- Normal People

A friendly reminder that your number of published pieces doesn’t define you as a writer. Some people work more quickly than others, and for some it takes time. Work at your own pace, you’re doing great.

Seagulls and Crows

6

Angels and demons in a field, cawing, squawking. The tractor slow but steady behind them driving them up and down the field, all day in the orange 6 O'Clock spring sunshine, up and down. Freshly ploughed, plumes of dirt coughed into the air, molecules. As in waves, they flew up and down collecting mouthfuls of seed and dirt, timing it so they would not be crushed by the colossal piece of machinery. The sound of seagulls is a foreign cacophony to where we live. Several miles away from any kind of beach. But now, in the fields, on the farms, they soar in the sky, screaming out their deafening cry. The farmer must be trying to spread seed for the new season. The birds are so loud. I haven't been awoken by birdsong since I was a child. It's strange but beautiful. Two distinct colours, standing out from the brown dirt canvas of ploughed soil, two different kinds of birds gathered in a field trying to achieve the same goal of managing to get some of the seed being sown whilst trying not to get run over by a tractor. Watching the hilarious chaos, I smiled.

It was a strange sight, but that's kind of beautiful.
I wrote this a few weeks ago, in the early days of quarantine, when I could remember what date is was. I looked out my window whilst pausing from furiously writing an English assignment that I forgot to hand in (oops), and this raucous really struck me, so of course I decided to procrastinate from the essay a little bit longer and write about what was happening in the field from my window. I didn't like it when I first wrote it, but now revisiting it, I really like it, it seems kind of symbolic to me, I don't know. But I'd love to know the geography/science behind why the seagulls came here. I've never, and I mean never seen them here before. Sadly since I wrote this, the seagulls have left, probably to go back to the beach, I don't blame them I would love to be at the beach right now myself! Hopefully restrictions will ease soon and we'll be able to go to the beach someday soon. Anyways hope you enjoy. 

P.S. I don't really write prose much, poetry is much more up my alley, but I quite like this.
PP.S Have you ever seen anything like this before?

Word count: 160

• May 25, 2020 - 11:09am (Now Viewing)

replying: omg no problem my dear! i love reading your works! thank you for bookmarking my piece haha. ps is wtw glitching with follows for anyone else? i swear i followed you and a lot of others a long time ago but when i got to your profile it said i wasn’t following you yet? oh well.

• Cressida

The imagery really paints a complete picture of what this looks like, and it is so beautiful. It is like I was there, looking out into the field. Wonderful piece!

this is so, so pretty! i’m in love with your descriptions! it makes me wish i was there looking out the window with you. “ It was a strange sight, but that's kind of beautiful.” great work!!