punk_princess_23

14 years old, American born, though I wish I was from France. I'd love to be a writer/actress, Julliard is definetly where it's at. I'll read just about anything. Goals are to learn to play piano and guitar and to get my book edited and published.

This is the first act (I think) to a musical I've started writing. Basically a girl joins the revolution and ends up falling in love with the enemy's leader, so they have to keep it a secret. Hope you guys like it... any feedback helps. I might post the other acts, but I'm not sure.

My Secret Love-Act One

(Sitting upstage right is a small bed covered in quilts Beside it is a small bedside table. Opposite on upstage left is a bookcase full of books. At center stage there is a door leading to the rest of the house. Stage left is dark. ASH HOLSON sits on the bed, writing in her journal. A NARRATOR comes to downcenter.)
NARRATOR
It has been twenty years since Cortha invaded Handana, and the King’s power has only grown. Citizens of Handana now go to separate schools, and a recent law declares that all Handana citizens must give half of their earnings to the government. Failure to do this means immediate arrest. The city is divided; many believe the King is helping the city thrive, while others believe he is taking away their freedom by instating such laws.
INTRO
(NARRATOR exits on stage right, and ASH begins to speak aloud, unaware that she has an audience.)
ASH
May 16, 1743. Father says there’s going to be a celebration next week for the king, and everyone is invited. I just can’t wait! I’m going to wear a gown and everything, and I’ll be able to dance-maybe I’ll even be able to see the queen! I just know-
(She pauses when she notices the audience. Quickly, she sits up, closing her journal. She addresses the audience.)
ASH
Oh, hi! I didn’t see you there.
(She laughs nervously)
ASH
I’m writing in my journal.
(She holds up the journal)
ASH
I write in this. A lot. Every day, actually. Writing is a hobby of mine. And reading, as you can probably see by the bookcase.
(She pauses)
ASH
Well, uh, this is my room! Not really big, but it’s cozy, and I like it. It’s a nice escape from the rest of the world, anyway.
(HUGO, ASH’s best friend, appears at the door. He holds a small book in his hand. He knocks on the door, and ASH freezes.)
ASH
Um, just a minute!
(ASH kneels and pulls a small box out from under her bed. She begins to pull things out of it, finally placing her journal at the bottom.)
HUGO
It’s Hugo!
(ASH finishes putting her things in the box and slides it under the bed. She leaps up and runs to the door, opening it.)
ASH
Hugo!
HUGO
May I come in?
(ASH moves, letting HUGO in. They are silent for a moment, and then HUGO holds up the book in his hand.)
HUGO
I got this for you. I found it at the bookstore and thought you’d like it.
ASH
Oh, I love it! Thank you!
(ASH shoves HUGO on the bed, then sits next to him.)
ASH
So, how’s college going?
HUGO
It’s alright. I’m mostly just focusing on my sciences classes, since I’ve got so many of those. How’s school for you?
ASH
Boring. Everything’s so easy.
(HUGO laughs.)
HUGO
I’m not surprised. Don’t worry-school will be over soon enough.
(They are silent once again, and HUGO begins to play with the edge of one of the quilts. Finally, ASH sighs.)
ASH
Hugo, is something wrong? You’re so quiet.
HUGO
Everything’s fine.
(ASH glares at him)
HUGO
Really! Everything’s fine.
ASH
So you’re not going to tell me why you’ve been going out every night for the past two weeks?
HUGO
What?
ASH
You know I see your mother every week, and she told me you go out every night, and you come home late. You don’t tell anyone where you’ve been or what you’ve been doing.
(HUGO stares at his lap.)
HUGO
It’s nothing you need to worry about.
ASH
Has it something to do with your college friends?
HUGO
Well…
ASH
I knew it! You all have been planning something!
(HUGO is silent.)
ASH
So, are you going to tell me?
HUGO
I don’t plan to.
ASH
Does it have anything to do with the celebration next week?
(HUGO looks up, and ASH grins)
ASH
So it does. What are you planning?
HUGO
I’m not going to tell you, so drop it.
ASH
Fine, fine.
(ASH is silent for a moment, and then looks out the window.
ASH
Well father and I are going to the celebration next week.
HUGO
What?
ASH
I’m going to wear one of my mother’s old gowns, and I’ll do my hair-
HUGO
You can’t go!
(Ash smiles, looking at Hugo.)
ASH
Why not? Everyone’s going to be there. It will be such fun!
GOING TO THE BALL
ASH
I’m going to the ball
Yes I’m going to the ball
I’ll wear a nice dress
And I’ll put up my hair
Because I am going to the ball
HUGO
I really don’t think that’s such a good idea
ASH
Why not?
I’ll dance all night
And I’ll eat good food
More than I have ever had
My friends will also be there
At the ball
HUGO
If you’ll just trust me-
ASH
I’ll spend a night at the celebration
With royalty there it will be so grand
At the castle that’s uptown
It will be the night of my life
Why should I miss the opportunity
To go to the ball?
HUGO
Because we’re staging an attack!
(ASH immediately turns towards HUGO, confused.)
ASH
An attack? What do you mean?
(Hugo shakes his head.)
HUGO
That’s the reason I’ve been going out every night. My friends and I, we’ve-
ASH
What?
HUGO
We’ve been planning a revolution
ASH
Why would you plan a revolution?  
HUGO
To take back our country, of course
ASH
What do you mean?
HUGO
You know, maybe school wouldn’t be so boring if you actually paid attention.
ASH
Hugo, I’m serious!
HUGO
A few hundred years ago, Cortha invaded Handana, and the king has been controlling us since. They’ve been taking away bits and pieces of our freedom for years now, and we’ve finally had enough!
ASH
I never learned about this in history class.
(HUGO shakes his head.)
HUGO
So now they’re controlling what you learn in school. Great. What else are they changing?
ASH
Hugo, what does this mean? You guys are only in college, you can’t start a revolution!
HUGO
Why can’t we? No one else is going to do it because they’re all scared. Please, just don’t go to the ball. I don’t want you to get hurt.
ASH
I’ll try and convince my father to not go, but I’m not sure he’ll listen.
HUGO
Just do whatever you can, alright?
ASH
Okay.
HUGO
I have to go. I’ll see you tomorrow after school’s over.
(HUGO goes through the door and exists on stage left, and ASH is alone. She addresses the audience, looking worried.)
ASH
What am I going to do, guys? Those college boys think they can do anything, but they’re going to get themselves arrested, or worse, killed. Is he, right, though? What has the school been hiding from us?
A STRANGE HOME
A revolution?
Many battles to be fought
How will they win?
How can they win?
Is what he told me true?
Are they taking away our freedom?
What have I missed as I hide in my books
A strange world
My home that I don’t know
(ASH’s father CHRIS calls to her from downstairs.)
CHRIS
Ash! It’s time for dinner!
(ASH looks back at the audience.)
ASH
Coming father!
(ASH exits through the door on stage left, and stage right goes dark. Stage left brightens onto a small kitchen. CHRIS sits at a table reading an old newspaper.
CHRIS
How was your talk with Hugo?
ASH
It was fine.
CHRIS
What did you talk about?
ASH
Oh, just school and stuff.
(CHRIS looks up from his paper, and ASH stares at the floor.)
ASH
Listen, father, I was thinking… maybe we shouldn’t go to the ball.
CHRIS
Why not?
ASH
Well, you know… it’s a school night, and the ball’s bound to go on for a long time.
CHRIS
So?
ASH
Well, I think I’ve got a test the the next day, and I think you would agree that I should be well rested-
CHRIS
Ash, your own teachers are going to be at the ball. I highly doubt you’ve got a test.  
ASH
Well, Hugo was saying something about an attack.
(CHRIS rolls his eyes.)
CHRIS
Those college boys believe everything they see. Ash, there is nothing to worry about. There won’t be an attack.
ASH
But father-
CHRIS
We’re going to the celebration, and there is no arguing it. There will be no attacks. We’re going to go and have a good time.
ASH
Alright.

(The stage goes dark.)

• August 17, 2016 - 5:05pm (Now Viewing)