Ibex

as in Presbyterian Church in America
Female
Writer
Novelist
Poet!
Reader
Ambivert or something
Band nerd + Drum Major
Planet Earth nerd
etc, etc
Joined September 10, 2019

Sometimes I tell stories. Most of the time I rattle my soul until I break and my heart spills out onto the page.

"I cannot jump the distance. You'll have to toss me!"--Gimli, LOTR

I am a complete nerd. I got the Ring of Power for my birthday.

Book recommendations:
The Oath--Frank E. Peretti
Lord of the Rings--J.R.R. Tolkien

Song recommendation: "Awake" by Beckah Shae

I'm going to meet the King someday!
And I'm super pumped!

Sunrise: Chapters 4, 5, and 6

1
HOLA! So for any of you who didn't read chapters 1 through 3, you can find them in my published writing.

Chapter 4
Now one must travel out of the depths of the Underworld and into the highest reaches of the sky. Moments after Makuahine uttered her prayer to the fallen Light Mother, Mahina, the daughter of sunshine, began to strain against her chains. She was in her human form, and very weak. Words of anguish filled her mind. Hate. Suffering. Night. Slave. Darkness.

A cruel laugh echoed across her dark cell. Hewa. Darkness’s head general was there, shrouded by the curtains of blackness. Mahina knew she needed to be able to see the demon, so she summoned all emotion so she might light up the room. She failed. She felt only sorrow. Sorrow so empty that it only filled her soul with deep agony, and she grieved silently for her mother and brother, who were thrown to the ends of the earth. To Mahina, such heartbreak was an alien feeling, a feeling so horrible that no one, not even the foulest of demons, should ever have to be subject to its wrath. Her heart ached for her mother and brother, but they were nowhere to be found. Each was exiled in a different way, Ikaika stranded on an island, never to leave for fear of what would happen to those he loved. Mahina knew what Darkness had meant when she had spoken the threat on the day she first threw the Light Mother from the clouds. Darkness would kill Mahina herself if Ikaika ever dared to return to his home, and Ikaika the Strong could not allow that to happen. Mahina’s soul continued to burn as she remembered that her mother was wounded and weak, forever being thrown from the sky when she tried to rise into it. Hewa laughed again, this time louder, bolder, and more vicious. A low growl escaped from Mahina’s parched throat. She was half dragon, half human, the very essence of a High One. Actually, to be fair, she was a High One, only changed and diminished by the doom of her cell. Why shouldn’t she, one of the most powerful beings in all the universe, growl at the demons who came forth to mock her?

“That won’t get you anywhere, halfling,” Hewa still couldn’t be seen, but his ominous voice was more terrible than ever, “Mahina the Moon, daughter of the Light. Ha! Some daughter you are if you couldn’t even save her from falling out the window. Guess what? A new scent has reached my snout that tells me a child has been born with a dragon’s eye. Indeed, she has not yet been destroyed by the hands of her own village.” He uttered another harsh laugh, “Yes, tomorrow at first light, I shall destroy her!” He emitted a smacking sound that sounded like he was licking his chops, like a wild dog before tearing into its gruesome meal.

Finally, for the first time in weeks, an emotion filled Mahina’s heart. Anger burned its way through her, and her light shone throughout the room. The little girl would not be killed at the hand of such a monster. No, Mahina was sure of that.

Hewa, a demon of the Night, screamed and darted into a dark corner of the cell, yowling as the white rays illuminated his form, burning his night-loving skin. His scream was just as awful as his person, a dark and dangerous noise that could make any human being go mad, like the scream of a ghost that haunts one in dreams. Even in the dark corner, Mahina could see him cowering, shielding himself from the light she had created. She almost felt pity for him, as was her nature, but then she remembered that that was one of Hewa's greatest tricks. He was able to cause people to look upon him, and to pity him, and then, when they were most vulnerable, he would spring up and devour them. It was a horrible trick, and one that had cost many their lives, yet it was so very clever, and Mahina admired clever people- or creatures. He looked like a helpless beggar child when he hid from the light like that, and Mahina could see how some people might take pity on him.

But she knew his true form. When she had been captured by the demon army, it was Hewa who had brought her before his lady, Darkness. On that day, she saw what he really looked like. He was a horrible sight to behold, especially for the young daughter of Light, who had never set eyes on a demon. His head was rounded and gnarly, and the few black hairs that made their roost there found it difficult to grow. His ridged spine bent in the most gruesome ways, twisting his body to and fro, and appearing so unsettling and horrid enough to cause anyone to look away. There were terrible black wings attached to his torso, mostly concealed between his sides and his spindly arms. Out of his fingers came claws the size of sabers, and his feet were like that of a great eagle, with talons as sharp as daggers. Whenever he opened his mouth, great fangs flashed, and a forked tongue slid in and out of the cavernous blackness like a venomous snake about to strike. He was unusually small, and his skin was wrinkled and scarred in many places. But the most startling parts of his strange, ugly figure were his eyes. They were the same shape as a human’s eye, but they were completely black, except for a small part in the center that was orange and yellow. Indeed, it looked like the fire of his very soul burning. The flames of his eyes leapt and writhed like a true fire, but Mahina knew that there was much more to those eyes than what could be seen.

Those eyes were said by all to be able to see into one’s own soul. Mahina thought about that horrible image, disgust filling her mind as she pictured the eyes, the spine, and the flashing teeth, but she decided that she was going to face it, for the little girl who slept soundly on the island below.

“Stand up, you coward, and turn your foul eyes upon me!” she made her best imitation of a dragon’s roar, hurling all of her power and courage into her voice as she commanded the greatest of the demons. He was nothing to her; she was far greater, infinitely more powerful, destined by the Fates to have dominion over him. No, she would not fear him.

Hewa stood up and turned to face her, his terrible eyes on her. The cell started to feel cold, and as Mahina looked into his black eyes, she felt as though he was staring into the depths of her soul. He took a bold step forward, sensing her fear. She struggled to speak, but no words came forth from her mouth. 

But her thoughts once again came to the infant whose life hung in peril. That little one was everything to her, a sister of her own blood, the only thing she had left. Hewa would not end the life of that girl. 

She told him, “I want you to take me to Darkness. I wish to have a night away from the skies.” Hewa’s little black eyes widened in fear and surprise, and he hurried back to the corner of the cell, where Mahina heard him muttering.

“This is a bad idea… With a child of the dragon’s eye still alive, who knows what the prisoner might do… And I should surely not leave the decision to Darkness, for she is very drunk after the feast, and she does not yet know about the dragon’s eye child. She will not allow me to speak, and she is not aware of all the dangers this may hold… I should not even take the Light-daughter to Darkness… But if she finds out that I have made the decision myself… She will surely rid herself of my company and toss me into the depths of the sea!”

For the little one, Mahina thought, and she shouted, “Make your choice, demon! I will wait no longer!”

Hewa growled, marched over to her, and grabbed her by the arm as he unlocked her chains. He had a steel grip, and she knew she would never be able to escape him. Hewa led the prisoner out of her cell and into the throne room, which was a short walk away. 

Darkness was sitting elegantly on the throne, garbed in a dress as black as the night . Not a single ray of light was in that atrocious place. Even Mahina’s glow had dimmed to a pale shimmer of gray, and an ominous chill came over the throne room. Darkness stared at Mahina and Hewa standing before her with such loathing that Mahina questioned whether she should have asked to meet with Darkness after all. But she had to be strong. Her mother’s life was in danger, as was the life of a child. The life of a child who held the fate of the world on her shoulders. A child born with the dragon’s eye. A child who would be the first to survive Hewa’s brutal attacks on the children like her. Because she was the one. She was the one who would save all people.

Chapter 5
Makuahine tossed and turned as she tried to sleep. The young mother couldn’t bear that her daughter was about to die just because she had been born with the dragon’s eye. The killing of such a child was a horrible deed that Makuahine still did not fully understand. Why did Hewa care about one eye? Why could he not just leave her alone to live her life in peace?

Such thoughts haunted her sleep, forcing her into nightmares and continually bringing her back to the reality that she herself would soon die as well.

A nighttime gust blew across Makuahine’s straw mattress and ruffled her long, sleek, black hair. At first, the new mother didn't think anything of it, but as the amount of light inside the hut increased, Makuahine started to get suspicious. The hut had been skillfully built by Palekana, and it was always dark at night. Someone had to be standing in the doorway, allowing the air to enter in, as well as light. She turned over to get a good look at the hut’s entrance, and she gasped at what she saw.

A woman was standing by the hut entrance, and she was cradling Koa in her arms. Makuahine stared at the visitor for a few moments, not quite comprehending what was going on. Her guest shone like the sun, and she was robed in a shining, cream-colored dress. The fabric of her beautiful clothing fluttered in the midnight breeze, and a thin band of silver crowned her head. Her hair was a brilliant white, and it shimmered with the light of a million stars shining in the sky. Then Makuahine remembered Koa. The little girl was still sleeping peacefully in the visitor’s arms.
“Put her down, you demon!” Makuahine sprang towards the woman, maternal instinct governing her body, “Don’t you dare harm her!” 

The woman chuckled softly and calmly raised one of her hands, and Makuahine found herself suspended a few inches above the ground, wrapped in a cloak of white light. Knowing she was helpless, Makuahine tried to scream for help, hoping that Palekana would hear her, but no sound came from her mouth. Still laughing a little, but not unkindly, the woman replied, “Peace, Makuahine Inoa. I’m no demon! I have not come to harm you or your child; in fact, I’m here to save her!” She lowered her hand slowly, and Makuahine found herself standing on the ground again.

“Who… who are you?” Makuahine asked. She stared at the woman and her baby with fear and admiration, not quite sure what to think.

“Who I am is not important. In fact, speaking my name could put us all in grave danger,” the woman replied, “Do not cry out. What I am about to do will not harm you or your child.” She then pressed her thumb to Koa’s forehead, and a blinding light illuminated the hut. Makuahine shielded her face from the radiance, covering her eyes with the back of her hand.

When Makuahine was able to look back at the woman and Koa, she saw the form of a crescent moon emblazoned on Koa’s forehead. Just as soon as it appeared, it disappeared, and Makuahine stared in wonder at the visitor.

The crescent moon. The symbol of Mahina, daughter of the Light Mother.

“You… you’re a High One! The daughter of the Light Mother!”

“Yes,” Mahina smiled, “I am. If you don’t mind, I would like to do that to you and your husband, Palekana. My power is enough to protect Koa from Hewa’s attack tomorrow, but I know that she will need strong parents to lead and guide her through the hardest days of her life. Life for her, I am sorry to say, will not be easy. The village people will persecute her, as will any demons Darkness sends to keep her at bay. So I will place protection on you as well, so you might help her. The magic I place within you will protect you from Hewa and his demons until you lay your eyes upon my brother, Ikaika.”

“Please do it,” Makuahine pleaded, before bowing her head respectfully, “I mean… if it pleases you to do so, great High One.”

“Of course it pleases me; that’s why I’m here,” with that, Mahina pressed her thumb to Makuahine’s forehead, and the blinding light once again lit up the hut. Makuahine felt a strange sort of power surge into her, and she savored the unusual sensation as it ran from the top of her head to the tips of her toes. And then the feeling was gone, leaving nothing but a slight tingling, but she knew that the power was still there, waiting within her. Mahina repeated the process on Palekana, and she handed Koa to Makuahine. 

“My task here is done, and I must return to the skies,” Mahina turned towards the door of the hut and started to walk out, but Makuahine stopped her.

“Thank you,” Makuahine whispered, “Thank you.” Mahina nodded and stepped out of the hut. In a flash of light, Mahina changed into a dragon and leapt into the sky. A deafening roar shook the ground, but Makuahine could hear Mahina’s voice laced within it, full of power, wonder, and glory.

Take care of her, Makuahine. She is the one. She is the one who will save us. But be warned. Hewa will come for you all at first light. He will bring his army with him, and he will come to kill. Be not afraid.

“She will be taken care of, I promise,” Makuahine responded, amazed, as the other people in the village, including Palekana, stepped out of their huts to see the dragon that had made such a roar, watching as she spiraled into the sky. The islanders stared at the High One in wonder, unsure of what to think.

Makuahine looked down at Koa. The baby’s dragon eye was even more obvious than before, the metallic glow of gold scales just visible on the edge.

Was it because of the power that had gone into her? The young mother would never know for certain. But what Makuahine did know was that Koa was indeed someone special. Mahina had said she was the one who would save all creatures. And deep down in her human heart, Makuahine knew that the High One was right. Her baby was indeed something out of the ordinary. She was the hoʻopakele. The rescuer.

Chapter 6
Long ago, when the Light Mother ruled the sky and the sun never set, Darkness ruled the Underworld that the humans called Night. There she had the greatest army of demons that ever was. Hewa was among them, as were many other demons that the modern peoples say were the worst of their kind. Darkness ruled over every one of them.

But despite the fact that she ruled a huge empire of demons, Darkness wanted more. She was jealous of her sister, the Light Mother, who ruled the skies and was given all the glory by the humans. Darkness wanted to rule the whole universe, and she decided to start by conquering the realm of her sister, and the Earth with it. And a most wicked scheme began to form in her terrible mind, a scheme that only the most twisted of creatures would dare to attempt. A scheme that involved only two people: she and her sister, the great Light Mother. Ikaika and Mahina might dare to get involved, but the demons would take care of them. The foul creatures couldn’t bear to miss a battle for the world, especially one as wicked and terrible as Darkness’s horrible plan.

And so, one day, Darkness and her demon army ascended into the skies. They had a mission, and they were going to complete it. What was their mission? No one knows for sure. Some will say that it was to kill all the creatures of the light and be done with it. Others will tell that the mission was for the demons to keep Ikaika and Mahina occupied while Darkness would kill the Light Mother. But most will tell you that the mission was to overrun the Earth with darkness and demons. And in that case, the mission was never completed, and it still needed to be completed when little Koa was born. And if that is the case, then there was still hope for all the creatures of the Earth.

• amazing grace

PLEEEEEAAAAAAASSSSSSSSE PUT UP THE NEXT CHAPTERS!