Ibex

as in Presbyterian Church in America
Female
Writer
Novelist
Poet!
Reader
Ambivert or something
Band nerd + Drum Major
Planet Earth nerd
etc, etc
Joined September 10, 2019

Um... I wrote this novel as a seventh grader... I think that says enough, since I'm now in high school. And as a warning, I was a violent seventh grader... I actually want to revise this sometime, though, so your thoughts would be appreciated.

Sunrise: Chapters 1, 2, and 3

2
This is a novel I finished a few years ago (so beware), and, since I think it's at least somewhat okay (er, you sure about that, self?), I figured I'd share it for any of you in need of some entertainment... The chapters are all very short, so don't worry about it being long or anything. I'll try to publish new sections every so often.

Prologue
She will rise from the island place,
On wings of silver she will race,
To save her people, the Whatunai,
The one born of Earth and Sky.
Thus I curse you, sister of mine,
For in your final span of time,
You, Darkness, will be defeated by,
The one to avenge me, the dragon’s eye!

Chapter 1
The dragon’s eye was once a great gift, before the fall of Light. It was easy to tell when a child was born with the dragon’s eye because one of their eyes was a different color than the other, usually a dull yellow, and the skin around the eye was raised and puffy at birth, a sign of the scales that would soon grow to surround the eye as the child grew older. The eye, arrayed in bright scales, was considered a blessing for all people, and those born with the dragon’s eye prospered. It was the sign of the Light Mother, the great dragon of the heavens, who illuminated the world from her palace, so the children born with a dragon’s eye were treasured by all of the island people.

But when the Light Mother fell from her throne in the sky, and Darkness rose up from the earth to rule over the heavens, the dragon’s eye was made into an excuse for ruthless murder. And Darkness made the most horrible of the demons, Hewa, whose name meant evil itself, the commander of the demons, and he was sent to kill all the children of the dragon’s eye. Hewa not only killed the children, but their parents as well, and he allowed the demons to burn every trace of the child.
The island people soon realized that the dragon’s eye was no longer a gift. It was a curse that could not be escaped.

Every year, children were born with the dragon’s eye, and their fate was always decided at birth. They had to die. Knowing that letting the children live until Hewa tracked them down would only bring more pain and suffering to the village, the island council decided to kill all children of the dragon’s eye at birth, or at least before Hewa could sniff them out, which was normally after about three days. The village was quick to accept the ultimatum because many of them had seen what Hewa would do to not only the children, but to the parents and the village as well. And so for generation after generation, the island people killed the children of the dragon’s eye. Some parents put up a fight, but their child eventually died when the parents became convinced it was for the best. For almost 400 years, the island people disposed of the children born of the dragon’s eye as though they were diseased animals thrown into the sea in order to spare the rest of the herd. And Hewa was never seen on the island for all of those 400 years. There seemed to be peace on the island. To the people, it was a utopia, a perfect word in which their lives were safe from demons and destruction.

But the safety of the island couldn’t last forever, especially with persistent parents like Palekana and Makuahine Inoa.

Chapter 2
“The child must die,” she told her, just like she had been telling her for the past 2 days, “It’s for the best. You have no other choice.” But Makuahine, the new mother, didn’t believe that the midwife could be so heartless. Who cared if the girl had a dragon’s eye? It was true Hewa would find the child and kill her, along with her mother and father, Palekana. But the midwife’s persistent urging to do away with the little girl did nothing to change Makuahine’s mind. Rather, it further hardened her heart against the ruthless murder of her daughter. Indeed, her first-born child would likely bring death to her, but Makuahine couldn’t bear to let her infant perish. There was something truly beautiful about the little girl that inspired her, and she couldn’t help but be drawn to the child, like the waves to the island’s shore. It was true that the baby looked odd. The skin surrounding her left eye was red, puffy, and corrugated, a sign of the scales that would soon grow to form the dragon’s eye. The eye itself was a dull yellow, a strange color when compared to the dark brown eyes of the other villagers. Even if the girl did live to be old enough to play with the other island children, she would be forever scorned and hated by her people, the Whatunai, for her alien appearance and the terrible curse that she bore. It seemed that, in a way, it was almost better for the poor child never to have to go through that. Makuahine shook her head and cursed herself for thinking such terrible thoughts.

It had seemed a little odd, though, that a child of the dragon’s eye had been born to her. No one in her family had ever been connected to a dragon’s eye infant of the past, and neither had Palekana. But then again, the parents wouldn’t have known, anyway. No one ever talked about the monsters, as they were scornfully called by the people of the island.
But now Makuahine was the mother of one. She remembered all those days, looking forward excitedly to the day her child would be born… And then they told her that the infant, the helpless, wide-eyed newborn, would have to be exterminated. “For the good of the people,” the midwife had explained passionately, a look of pride on her face. Pride, it had seemed, over her own daughter, who had been pretty, and nice, and normal from the start.

But her people would always look upon her with pity, as the woman who lost her daughter for the sake of the village, as the cursed mother of a dragon’s eye! No, she did not dare to accept that life, that life of evil and derision. Makuahine decided that she would enjoy the few, lovely days with her daughter, whether it brought death to her or not, instead of accepting the life that would surely follow if the girl was killed.

“No!” she shouted, “She will not die! I won’t allow it!” The midwife scowled at her, and opened her mouth to say something, only to be silenced by the angry husband and father who stood in the corner of the room.

“I agree with my wife on this matter,” Palekana glared at the midwife, “That infant is my child, and I will not just let her die because she was born with a dragon’s eye.”

Palekana had stayed out of the conversation for the most part, and the midwife seemed surprised to see him try to intercept. So surprised, in fact, that her mouth hung open for a moment. Just looking at the woman in that shocked state brought a smirk to Makuahine’s face.

The midwife stared at him for a few seconds, stuttering, before finally, knowing she had lost, grumbling, “Well then, what will the name be?”

Palekana glanced at his wife, and Makuahine knew he wanted her to be the one to pick the name. She decided to choose a name that held the meaning of something that the child would desperately need in order to survive. When she had made up her mind, she announced her baby’s name. “Koa,” she smiled, “Bravery.” The midwife huffed and left the hut, annoyed. Makuahine sighed and stared down at her child. Something inside her stirred, and she decided to do something she hadn’t done in months. She decided to ask a favor of those in the heavens.

Oh, Light Mother, if only I could protect this child! Makuahine thought to herself. I know you are weak, but if there is anything you can do for her...anything! Please, Light Mother! If you can, protect her! Protect my Koa! Feeling satisfied that the Light Mother had heard her petition, Makuahine stood up, rocking the baby gently in her arms. Palekana raised an eyebrow.

“Is there something you want, Makuahine?” he asked.

“I want to see the Sunset,” she forced a smile, “If you’ll accompany me, that is.” Palekana also smiled sadly and joined his wife at the doorway to their hut. From the entrance, the couple had a perfect view of the sandy island beach and the sea beyond, along with the Sunset. And so the couple watched as the sun dipped below the blue horizon, knowing very well that it might be one of their last moments together.

Chapter 3
The sun didn’t always rise and set, like it does today. Long ago, the Light Mother, the great gold dragon, lit the world from her throne in the heavens. The earth was always bright, and the day never ended. Likewise, the night never began, and the Light Mother’s jealous younger sister, Darkness, never ruled the skies. 

The Light Mother ruled both the clouds and the earth, flooding the land with light and warmth. The humans  adored her and her light, and they made the land lovely and green, planting crops to soak up her wondrous radiance and feed the creatures of the earth. To please the humans who loved her so, the Light Mother changed to a human form, but she always remembered her beauty as a golden dragon. And thus the humans knew her as a shapeshifter, for she would change her form depending on the occasion.

The Light Mother had two children. The oldest was Ikaika, the great silver dragon. Ikaika was the strong son of Light, and he devoted his time to protecting his mother and sister from Hewa and many other demons. The Light Mother’s second child, Mahina, was the beautiful daughter of the Light, and her dragon form was a brilliant white color. She seemed to reflect her mother’s glory, day and night, and continued to add to the brilliance of the palace of the skies.

But while the Light Mother, her children, and the humans were happy, Darkness, the proud and stubborn sister of the Light Mother, was not. And she was plotting in the Underworld, which was called Night, after her evil father, the embodiment of chaos and destruction itself. With the demons of the Night under her command, she knew she would be unstoppable.

1