Dmoral

est. 2018
she/her | junior
semi active; chaotic life.
published writer + classics enthusiast.
obsessed with name titled poetry & songs.

forensic science

peeling layers of past from their skin

13

<they're / clients>
stale breathes of those left unbreathing; their skins pale but there's something about it. fingernails kept growing, you urge to clip the secrets off of them. as the tongue's dangling, trying to taste what's left. when things are left unmoving they seem so pretty-there's an innocence to them. 

<t i m e / d o e s / d a m a g e>
are we willing to admit, things are better left unsaid? we're dressed before we're buried--why's that? we can't face the world without pretense, so we can't face an afterlife with playing pretend. if i had a nickel for every time i faced a dramatic event i'd be a rich man; then i'd make you promise i'll be buried with my riches hidden in the folds of my skin so i have something to offer the heavens.

<cold / blooded / viruses>
disease embraces the cadaver before crawling its way onto your skin: claws chipped and naked, tips dipped in desire; skin slime and laced with poisoned promises. "too close for comfort" the saying goes, something you only know when your bones have burned and pieces of you lay in ashes picked up by wind. hand a broom the corpse's hand.

<part / of / the / job>
if the fountain of youth existed, it'd put you out of business. that's why you stained the maps by your blood and took small pieces of them, sewing them into your skin and braiding them into the bits of your hair. after you've bathed your life in test results revolving around the dead, nothing messes with your head. when you're asked to take the teeth of a dead man, you start collecting them in your hands, and their clattering sounds like bells of a marching band.
lowercase intentional
finished: 4/10/2020
agustdv's a contest maybe?, prompt 1. (i don't think i'm very good at this kinda thing.)

also, i trying to go to sleep last night, and shot up with all these lines and quotes and ideas just poppin' into my head--so i scribbled into a notebook that's been full for three pages now and here i am, slapping together everything. so if it seems rushed and awkward-it's not, it's messy and raggedy and everything. lastly, i don't anything here is actually accurate.

i will say tho, fingernails on corpses look like they're still growing, but they're not. the skin around it just like decays or something.

1

• Wisp

Utterly glorious. The diction, the imagery, your use of forensics tied into the piece- just ughhh it’s so pretty (I remember reading a piece of yours where you used the word cadaver too. Is that a sign I’ve been reading too much of your writing? Yes. Does that mean I’ll stop? Heck no.) I really adore the whole layout of this piece too, it all ties together with the words as well, creating this masterpiece of syllables and letters and words and punctuation. Just simply marvelous.

• mia_:)

whaaaaat? this is stunning! this inspired a piece of my own! i love it so much! forensic science is really cool! i love "when things are left unmoving they seem so pretty-there's an innocence to them. " that made me stop and be like "huh. never really thought about that before!" and i love when a piece does that! honestly the first stanza made me kinda angry because i hate cutting my nails and they KEEP GROWING *rips out hair in frustration* seriously, tho, this is a masterpiece! and i love the formatting!

aaaAAAAA forensic science is honestly so interesting. im too much of a weeny to get into the nitty gritty of it (as a coroner/mortician) but this!! this is everything!! i adore when people take unconventionally-written about things and spin them into pieces (lol like my butterfly effect piece: i'm 110% a nerd). the line " fingernails kept growing, you urge to clip the secrets off of them" made me just *clenches fist* because yeah! they do grow, dont they? or do they? hmmm i suppose we'll see..." we can't face the world without pretense, so we can't face an afterlife with playing pretend" the detail about being dressed for burial really hit me, bc i dont particularly like to think abt it, but wow. i...really like how poignant that is. ", you start collecting them in your hands, and their clattering sounds like bells of a marching band." that last rhymed line!! that was literally everything, aaa you make the darkness and gross-ness (i'm a WEENY) of bodies/corpses into a lovely lovely descriptive piece full of metaphors! also thank u for that last detail in the footnotes sjknfjskfswnlf "decays or something" alright kids thats enough for today *empty smile emoji*

• crow_e

just sent in a peer review of this piece. thank you for sharing!

• agustdv

Thank you for entering! Good luck!