Anne Blackwood

16
Theatre kid
Singer
Poet
Twin
Disfusive
A bit empathic
A living oxymoron
WTW mom to FantasyOtter12, lochnessie & everyone
WTW sis to happy butterfly
Kindness Krusader: Blueberry cotton candy
XXFJ

Joined 1/16/2020

For everyone who's sat on a tree branch and thought for a while
Or someone who wanted to

Currently reading | Beach Winds: An Emerald Isle, NC Novel (Book 2)

My profile picture is my "personal crest" I designed and commissioned a friend to draw.

keepsunnyaroundfoundation.cake.org (credit: Happy Butterfly)

"There's something about being nostalgic for something you haven't left yet"
~ A Certain Type of Decisive

"I was born singing. Most babies cry. I sang an aria."
~ Fairest (book) by Gail Carson Levine

Anxiety must-reads:
https://bit.ly/2YUyome
https://bit.ly/2TsNYSa
And pray. That's the only reason I'm free now.

A Poet is What I Am #dramatize

18
I am a poet. When the spoken word fails to make its mark on the world around me, I pick up a pencil, or my phone, or a laptop. And I write.
​Letters pour out of the chaos in my mind, and things I never knew how to say are tattooed on a page. Black against white, thoughts against judgement, me against the world.
When I was younger, I tried to mold my daydreams into prose. Grasping my fantasies with tiny toddler fingers, I told stories of horses and flying. I tried my hand at drawing, seeing if lead against printer paper would submit to my will. I have also attempted to write songs. If I sing and desire to write, shouldn't that be enough to form melodies to attract someone's ear?
One by one, artistry defied my wishes, taunting me with dancing feet, for that is something I failed at, too.
Then, I revisited something I never thought would lead my heart. Stanzas erupted from my fingers, singing of heartache and forests and honey and poetry. I set myself free, letting go of the reins that tied my thoughts to my imperfections.
Poems were my happy medium, not too far to one side or the other. Where I could not tell stories with paragraphs, meter and free verse became my vessels of time.
Messes of words have scribbled themselves into my heart, stealing it from my body so that others could read it, and I can't bring myself to take it back.
So my drama teacher wanted us to write a monologue based on personal experience. I was horrified, because how am I, a poet, supposed to tell a story through theatre, and I told her as much. She said I could write a poem instead, and what she's getting is a bit of both.

Wow, this inspires me to write poetry, and I'm not typically a huge fan of it. I love how you show your love for it so well in this piece.

• WhispersOfGray

Absolutely beautiful!

• mia_:)

Replying: Thanks, that's good advice! I'll probably wait until I reach a milestone, like 60 followers or something. I'm excited to do one!

• mia_:)

Replying: Yeah, some people just don't understand the severity of the situation. Btw, do you think I should do a Q and A? there are tons of people doing them now which is why I'm a little on the fence, I don't want it to get lost. Still, it seems like a lot of fun.

• mia_:)

Replying: Whoa! That literally sounds like the trip of a lifetime! I'm so glad that you still get to experience it, even if it was moved back :(. Do you know what show you're going to see?

• mia_:)

Replying: Yeah, it sucks that so much stuff got cancelled. This was kinda inspired by NYC. I went there for the first time a few years ago and it was my first experience in a super big city (I had been to LA, SF, and Boston, but for some reason I didn't count those :)) It was amazing! I'm glad that you get to go next year, though. It'll be super fun! Are you going through school?

• mia_:)

Replying: Thank you so much for your encouragement! It really means a lot to me! <3<3

• Tushar Mandhan

I would love to listen it as a monologue!

• mia_:)

Replying: And thank you so much for the tip on the haiku! I must have miscounted (face-palm moment :p)

• mia_:)

Replying: Haha :) I'm a very cringy person

• mia_:)

Replying: That's super cool! I like singing too, but am not super great at it since my range is kinda awkward. I play the flute and tenor saxophone and used to play piano, but didn't really like it. However, I now play keyboard in a garage band! I really love music :). It's so cool that we have something like that in common!

• mia_:)

Relplying: Whoa, that's really cool! I've never been in anything noteworthy, but have done Little Mermaid, The Music Man, The Wizard of Oz, Newsies, and am currently in Matilda (though it was postponed), those were all through either school or a local theater company. I'm more of a music kid in general. Do you play any instruments?

• mia_:)

Replying: Yeah, I get that. I love the Legally Blonde soundtrack because I find it really fun and feel-good :). If you listen to it, listen to the London Cast! They're so much better, in my opinion. You said you're a theater kid, have you done any shows? Haha, sorry for all my questions :)

• mia_:)

Replying: I definitely will! Thank you so much for the recommendation! What is your favorite musical?

• mia_:)

Replying: Oh my gosh! I LOVE IN THE HEIGHTS! I am a fellow theater kid :) their music is sooooo good

• mia_:)

Replying: me too, it's nice to remind myself. Thank you for all the support you give me on my pieces! It really means a lot to me!

• mia_:)

You're just so amazing at writing! I love how you stood up and did what felt right for you instead of what your teacher wanted. Way to go!