Deep_Breaths

I AM
owner of ALL the books
a grand writer (I hope!)
really hungry
1/3 of the Three Musketeers
feeling poetic
in love with life
#christian
a ballerina <3

My Fave Books:
-The Hot Zone (by Richard Preston)
-The Giver (by Lois Lowry)
-Where the Forest Meets the Stars (by Glendy Vanderah)
-To All The Boys I've Loved Before Trilogy (by Jenny Han)
-The Fault in Our Stars (by John Green)
-Wilder Girls (by Rory Power)
-The School for Good and Evil series ( by Soman Chainani)
-ALL the Hunger Games (by Suzanne Collins)

Flash Fiction Competition, more or less...

4
This is not exactly a competition, more like a gallery of talents and stories. But it gives all you flash fiction lovers a chance to shine!

The only rules are below:
  1. You must link your story below
  2. 200-3000 word limit (so you got a bit of room)
  3. You can choose one of the prompts below (way below) but you may also choose your own
  4. You may enter TWICE, but no more than that
  5. This "competition" starts today (and will end when there are enough stories submitted) 
Prompts:
  • Your character is a young child’s imaginary friend. The child is growing up, and their friend is slowly fading away 
  • There is an urban legend floating around about a taxi that doesn’t take you where you want to go, but rather where you need to go. Write about a character that gets into this taxi. Where do they go and why? Alternately - who or what is the driver?
  • Write about a character whose house is burning down. Their family escapes out the front. They escape out the back and run into the forest in a panic and get lost. When they are unaccounted for by rescuers, they are pronounced dead. Rather than show up and correct everyone, they decide to roll with it for a while.
  • Your character is literally the devil himself, taking human form because he got bored in hell. He’s actually a pretty fun guy and a good, respectful roommate.
  • Write about someone who is observing their own funeral from out of sight
  • Winter is the only time two lovers can be together, for whatever reason.
  • A double date goes slightly awry when two girls begin to fall for each other’s boyfriends.
  • Everyone is born with two tattoos. One matches their soulmate and the other matches their biggest enemy. Write about a character who’s two tattoos are the same.
  • Someone finally learns the origin and meaning of their longtime recurring nightmare.
  • The protagonist receives a strange text message warning her NOT to look at the moon. Her phone is full of other messages, notifications and posts raving about how beautiful the moon is. Everyone is encouraging everyone else to look at it.
  • Your protagonist finds a collection of “missing person’s” flyers and newspaper clippings. They all contain their photos, spanning their entire life.
  • Everyone is born knowing the day they are going to die. Write about a character whose day of death already passed, but they are not dead.

Some tips:
  • Start in the middle of the action. You don’t have time for lengthy exposition or character backstory.
  • Don’t use a lot of characters. You won’t have time to describe any of them. Sometimes characters are not even named unless it is relevant or significant to the story in some way.
  • Make your title bold and strong.
  • Don’t actually end the story. Leave the resolution up in the air. End it on a cliffhanger that will never be realized. This will make it stick in the reader’s mind.
  • Make sure your last line leaves them wondering. In addition to the climax that will never resolve, don’t let the last line give off a “finished” feeling. Don’t bring your readers to the end, but take them somewhere new with the last line. A place where they will continue to question and wonder about the ideas and themes of the story.
Good luck and have funnnnnnn!!!

• crow_e

My entry: https://writetheworld.com/groups/1/shared/156074/version/304962

• crow_e

to confirm, we can use our own prompt?

• Deep_Breaths

LOL, thanks!

• mia_:)

You have such great ideas! :)

• mia_:)

I LOVE THESE PROMPTS! I can't wait to enter!