Tyler Ethier

I would like readers to focus criticism on sentence structure and grammar, these are by far the weakest parts of my skill set and would appreciate any and all useful feedback no matter how harsh it is

Ethier_ The identification and realization of the analytical nature of Leopold's actions and it's affect on the human phyche

"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed." (Mahatma Gandhi) Leopold understood this concept during the start of his reign in Belgium. Belgium was a small new country with little power and surrounded by colonial powers such as Britain, France and Germany; akin to every ruler at that time he wished to expand his Kingdom and solidify his power through any means necessary. During a period of scientific innovation and colonial expansion, Leopold set his sights on the "…magnificent African cake..." (King Leopold's Ghost page, 58 ) the slice he wanted being the Congo which is located in the middle of the Africa. Leopold wanted expand his kingdom, gain power and prestige to increase his social standing among the colonial powers in the world; Leopold first wanted to increase just the size of his territory but after finding copious amounts of ivory he started the construction of a trade route and thus began the series of unimaginable atrocities as greed spread and Leopold's lust for power powered the machine that paved a swath through the country and to the heart of darkness. This mans actions that have come to light make many distraught by the acts of pure malevolence that the Philanthropic King Leopold committed, from Conrad to General Sanford from myself to you our view on human nature has been changed negatively focusing around the identification of the "soul" (ability to show compassion or feel emotions from transgressions beyond human integrity) and the capacity of the human race to fall from faith. Leopold's orders for his lattice of soldiers in the Congo cannot in any way be excused, in fact some can easily be equivalent to the atrocities committed by the Nazi's during world war II. People have reasoned that Leopold was not to blame for these crimes against humanity because he was isolated/oblivious to the repercussions of his own orders; you might claim that he did what was though appropriate for a ruler at that time just he hastened to process. Leopold's actions did range from Child labor camps "I believe we must set up three children's colonies, One is the Upper Congo near the equator, specifically military..." (King Leopold April 27, 1890, page 133) even the creation of the "Manual du Voyageur et du Resident au Congo, copy of which the administration gave to each agent and each state post. The manual's five volumes cover everything from keeping servants obedient to the proper firing of artillery salutes. Taking hostages was one more routine piece of work:…" (Page, 162)