enteringemmy

First thing I've published here- any thoughts?

Writing Streak Week 1 Day 3

Museum of A Former Life Opens in Local Girl's Bedroom

Falling into the house on the Tuesday,
Outside crumbling, an iceberg of Looking-Forward-Tos melting in the Winter sun,
Holding my back to the door to steady myself against the dawn of collapse, inexistence seeming rife on the horizon.
This room has become a museum of a time Before.

Valentine's card
Ticket stumps
Souvenirs
Textbooks
Hair grips in a tin
Perfume-

All redolent of Normalcy, horrifically mundane, innocently dull.

Guest linen
Breath mints
Nice dress
Tennis hat
Bus pass-

I carve a circle into the layer of dust atop my alarm clock. Never to be hit again.

Student ID
Water bottle
Bits of thread torn off a suit jacket
Cotton pads
Bee-sting cream-

Missing the splitting antecedence of early mornings, muddy ankles on the way to school, tachycardia on the train platform.

Each time I enter, I am hit with the taste of a Next Week that never quite happened.
Everything lain, performatively formulated, to be thrown into a strange, foreign Tomorrow- 
but these never arrived and I'm left
with a gallery
memorial
archive
treasury
of Real Life.

Right now everything I own feels abstract and strange, like an artefact left over from a war or buried in ruins. Perhaps historians will use my bedroom in the future, to ascertain what happened here.

1

april highlights are live, and you're in them!
    https://bit.ly/2WpZZd2

• sherry171

Amazing piece, and really unique idea! I've actually wondered a bunch about how bored history class students may one day have to analyze the lifestyle of people in 2020 haha

• Eleutheromaniac

Great piece!!! Exactly how I feel here, it's strange to think how the future will see us

• Chloe :) <3

Honestly this is a beautiful piece describing the struggles of coping with what will become a major part of history in the future ... that people after us will have to study about!

• mia_:)

I totally agree with your footnotes! We're history in the making, which sounds fun, but really it just massively sucks!