Tushar Mandhan

'illegitimi non carborundum'
*
*
*
*
I'm baring my soul to listen whispers of gray skies

I love you Grandma...

Grandma, you had promised me #Samina50 #hopecontest2

28
Grandma, you had promised me
you'd be here when clouds weep. 
When I'd be afraid from thunderstorms,
you would wrap me in your arms.
But I can't see you, near or far.
Sun has hid behind the clouds,
I'm feeling alone in the crowd.

Grandma, you had promised me
you'd be here when I want tea.
Mum only serves milk twice a day,
which you know I hate to taste.
It's good for health; mum explains.
I have drunk half the cup,
one more sip is hard to engulp.

Grandma, you had promised me
you'd be here when I achieve something.
You'd cook my favourite pancakes,
and allow me to have with your lemon pickle,
that will make me smack my lips and whistle.
I'd help you make rice pudding,
just thinking about that time is so alluring.

Grandma, you had promised me
you'd me here when I need you.
Whenever I'd feel sad and alone,
I could always come to your home.
But now the home feels so vacant,
are you punishing me for some mistake?
Am I responsible for your head ache?

Grandma, you had promised me
you'd always keep your promises.
But you haven't kept any of these.
You haven't written any letters or called me,
you even haven't told me where you're gone.
I miss you every second, every occuring,
whether it's autumn or spring.

I was afraid of thunderstorms when I was young and my grandma used to wrap me in her arms until I fell asleep.
I hated plain milk when I was young (Honestly I still do :P) and when mum wouldn't be around, grandma would add tea leaves to it, making it 'chai.'
Grandma used to have pancakes with lemon pickle and they were must when I visited her during vacation. Even today, when mum makes pancakes, I ask her for lemon pickle. Only I and my aunt have this habit after her.
Grandma used to feel so happy even on my small accomplishments but today, when I am winning at national levels, I wonder how she would have reacted. How much happy she would have been to read my books or this poem.
But unfortunately, she left the world in 2012 after a two year fight with cancer. I know there were rumours that the world would end in 2012 and it did for me. A part of my world ended.

I love how this shows so much love for a grandmother. I can really see how much you cared about her; this is beautiful and very sad too.

• OpalDove

I'm so sorry for your loss. This is a great poem. Also, you're winning national contests?! THATS SO AMAZING!

• Ghoulgirl2020 (#Queenie's Halloween | I have been called Cool before if you know what I mean) ;)

OMG. I liked this a little while ago and I just read it again and I STILL LOVE IT!!

• Samina

The results are out!

• Just_A_Memory

Replying: Lol you're fine.

Replying: I don't know if it will smell the same in India, but I bet it will still be great.

• ElsaRee

Amazing work, Tush! Simply awesome!

• Klaiir

Really heartbreaking!

• Cheshire Cat

Also whats a cliche

• Cheshire Cat

What do you mean by
    A literary work that changed you as an artist?

• Madelyn (Carolina Girl)

This is so good. You have a way with words.

WhispersOfGray says "AW. That is SO SO sweet. Ok, please tell him of course he has my permission, he's an amazing person and that it was a pleasure to read all his pieces and that I'll miss him so much! Also, that I'll return soon hopefully and that I can't wait to read all his future pieces!"

Thank you a billion times for your support of my pieces and your encouragement for my situation.

• Dmoral

*heart breaks & eyes water*

• ElsaRee

This is soo beautiful..It melted my heart <3

• Hana Matsuda

Hi Tushar! Thank you for adding a comment for my recent work "Everyone should have done it before", "The Leek", and the writing streak. I've read several poetries that you made, and they are all awesome! Since I particularly liked this work, I added a comment here. This poem reminded me of my childhood as well and made me feel good about it. I really love your poem. I'm waiting for your next work!

• WhispersOfGray

Aw, I love this so much! It moved me to tears, so breathtaking!

• Eleanor M

I love this. your grandma seemed to be a truly awesome human being. I connect to this in really personal ways. :))

• mia_:)

Wow, congrats on placing!! This is such a beautiful piece! I'm sorry about your grandma, she sounded so amazing. The ending of your poem, with the seasons, was so powerful, it kinda left me breathless! WAY TO GO!!!<3

• Cheshire Cat

plz, read this it is for the comp. I am sending it to all the other people who entered

• Cheshire Cat

comp results 24th April

• Loser

By the way, I loved "Anchor!" Thanks for recommending that song; it was so pretty.

• Loser

Replying: yes, we do prom here; usually everyone dresses up very fancy and takes a date to prom. Depending on your school budget, prom is held sometimes in a ballroom; for my school it is, well, in the gym. Nevertheless, people are all in formal attire, and you eat and dance. Sometimes students will throw after-prom parties with friends; others (usually girls) throw before-prom parties to get ready. Also, we have end-of-year exams; high schoolers have to pass certain requirements before they can graduated. Students who want to gain extra college credit may take AP (Advanced Placement) tests in certain subjects to gain credits for that subject. Some students take the SAT (another big test) at the end of the year too; colleges look at SAT scores to determine how well a student can perform and usually that affects whether they will be accepted. For graduating twelfth graders, at the end of the school year there is a graduation ceremony where they receive diplomas and give speeches. Usually the twelfth graders throw parties after they graduate, with friends and family (or sometimes they will have two, one for friends and one for families). Some twelfth graders go on trips after graduating with their friends.

• Loser

Replying: I can do my best to give you info on this last week of high school here. So far, in my area, school is pretty much cancelled; they had it shut down for like two or three weeks because not everyone in my area had internet and they didn't want to make it unfair. Now they have it sort of back up, with classes online in the morning, but many teachers don't know how to use the internet properly and aren't doing a very good job of teaching online. Friends can get together on Zoom and talk (I haven't really done that because of being busy trying to get ahead by studying on my own), or text, but nobody is really supposed to get together in person.
    I hope that was the kind of information you're looking for! If you need more help just comment questions on one of my pieces!

• Samina

Thank you for participating. Will update you regarding it.

• Loser

This is such a heart-warming poem! It shows how much you loved your grandmother very well, and it is bittersweet.

• K-9crazy

Aww... this is so sad! I'm sure she would have been proud of you, and all your great work.

• Samina

This is so emotional. I personally feel the pain. My maternal grandparents also left this world. The specialty of my grandmother too is pickles.
    Well done, indeed putting emotions into words is a great task.