Elizabeth

King Leopold Essay

Prompt: In his book, King Leopold’s Ghost, Adam Hochschild describes the brutal plunder of the Congo by the Belgian King Leopold II. Hochschild brings to life the horrors of Imperialism and this specific time period through a careful depiction of historical figures and events. Hochschild relates the story of the author Joseph Conrad who went to the Congo and “was so horrified by the greed and brutality among white men he saw [there] that his view of human nature was permanently changed.”

As you know, Conrad went on to write one of the greatest novels of the twentieth century Heart of Darkness. After closely reading Hochschild’s account and the excerpt from Conrad’s Heart of Darkness, notice the ways Conrad’s view changed.

Question: How is this true of other individuals about whom Hochschild writes? In what way has this book affected your own view of human nature?

Steps to take, what to do: 1. Read Conrad's Heart of Darkness- pay attention to his change of view/heart 2. Outline essay/ take a stance. Questions I have: - How is what true?

Guided Questions: 1.Have you used specific details to define your thesis and point of view?

1. Are your sentences clear and vivid?

3.Are your ideas supported with concrete examples from the texts?

1. Is the organization of your essay clear and convincing?

Heart of Darkness:

King Leopold's Ghost (where they are talking about Heart of Darkness): "Expecting at first the exotic Africa of his childhood dreams but finding instead what he would call "the vilest scramble for loot that ever disfigured the history of human conscience." And looming above them all was King Leopold II, a man as filled with greed and cunning, duplicity and charm, as any of the more complex villains of Shakespeare."

The only thing I have done was try to understand the prompt.

1