zeke_55

Why You Matter

It is common for people nowadays to feel as they do not matter in the grand scheme of humanity, but that simply not true. With the current global population estimating around 7.8 billion, it is very simple to see how one person can seem to make any difference to the world. After all, every movement and change that has ever occurred in humanity’s history started from one voice speaking out, so no matter how small one can feel, they do matter. However, whether it be speaking environmentally, socially or politically, each person’s voice matters because their voice can be the stone that casts many ripples.  
    From an environmental standpoint, the world seems to be falling apart just in front of our eyes, and it feels that we cannot do anything to help, but again that is not true. One recent celebrity to bring attention to environmental issues such as climate change is Greta Thunberg. She is a prime example of how age is not a restriction on the pathway for change; She started her environmental activism at the very young age of 8 years old. She was just a small child when she began to change her lifestyle and the lifestyles of her parents. She believed in her cause, and she has inspired others to change their lifestyles as well. Since then, she has become a global icon who has spoken to governments about climate change, and how these governments are not doing their very best to help the planet recover from their mistakes. However, you do not need to become a global activist to make change happen. You can make change happen by just telling a stranger to pick up their trash or reducing your carbon footprint. Again, you can just be the one to tell a friend to change their habits and they will tell others to change and so forth. As long as you do little things along the way, the environment will benefit from it, and you will have the satisfaction of knowing you contributed to the change. 
    Another standpoint you can make a difference in is social. Within recent years, many movements have occurred due to groups of people standing in what they believe in, and this unification between these strong-minded people ended in what they wanted. A recent example of this was the legalization of gay marriage in the United States. The court case that made it legal for this to happen was Obergefell v. Hodges in June of 2015. This case was a combination of many other cases, but again this is an example of how the will of some people ended in change to occur. These people pushed for what they believe in passionately, and they made sure they got what they wanted. Another old-age example of one person making change happen is standing up to a bully. Everyone has either experienced or know someone who has experienced this unfortunate issue to occur. However, all it takes is one person to stand up for a classmate to make all the difference in the world. We never know what goes on in the mind of others, but if you are able to change or influence one person’s mind, you have successfully made a change in someone’s life. 
    One final standpoint is to go straight to the fundamental support of our lives: politics and government. If the government does not do what the people want, the people do have the right to alter the government, so they get what they want. Nevertheless, this can only occur after one person or group speak their opinions. Again, the significance of one person’s voice matter because what you speak, others probably think of. An example of this is the American Revolution. The American colonists were tired of the mistreatment England was giving them, so they decided to rebel and fight for what they believe in. The Founding Fathers signed away their lives to make sure this change was going to happen because they knew what a difference to the world this war would make. Sure enough, many rebellions followed soon after such as the French Revolution, Haitian Revolution and many more. The point being, these Fathers knew what was best for the people, and they knew what power they had so they decided to use it to make change. 
    All these standpoints end up leading politics, but that is not the point of it all; the point of it is to empower you, the reader, and to ensure you that you matter. Nowadays, people just like you and I are feeling useless because we feel we are a small grain of sand part of the biggest beach in the world. We feel as if our words do not mean anything, but you do make a difference. No matter how discouraged you may feel, know that you truly matter for all of history has led up to you being here doing what you are doing now. Do not doubt that you do not matter; when given the chance, embrace yourself and show to the world who you are because you are special and you matter.

• Fabiana250

This was really inspirational! Well done!