yapyapxy

Senior Peer Reviewer
the world is wide enough

Hope this resonates with you, because even though it's addressed to future me, I believe dreams are universal. This is slightly tweaked.

Hello (yes you), it's me.

PROMPT: Dear Me

2
Dear you (who's probably-working, possibly-in-love, likely-stressed),

It's you at seventeen. I hope your past self is none too distant. By now, I hope you've figured out some meaning to your life. Seventeen-year-old you is drifting between writing and practicality, almost always in petty moods, and a tad too righteous in her beliefs. I (or you used to) tell myself I could make my life better, if I really, really, really tried. Did you take measures? I know you're fond of building castles in the sky.

I tend to be quite verbose in letters, I hope you're now more concise. To have control over your words and language is quite the empowering feeling (not to mention beneficial). 

Your swinging moods, especially, do you remember them? I hope you've at least tried to maintain some form of inner peace. Your family has taken quite the brunt of it, especially your sisters. Have you thanked them? Thank them soon. Now, why not? Call them. I know it's hard, I know you feel hesitant, but they're family. The only people who will accept you unconditionally, even if you're a jerk. (Or even write a letter like this.)

Don't stress yourself out too much, promise? Always remember that the best is yet to come, and life goes on no matter what. You'll look back a little more wiser, a little more mature. And maybe even laugh about it. 

I hope you're still friends with them: your best friend, your neighbour, your 'fellow misfits'. I hope you're a little more confident now, and a little more tactful. It takes effort to keep friendship going.

That boy you used to think about, I suppose it's too presumptuous to hope you've kept in contact, you were the most awkward turtle ever. Ha-ha. Relax a little, because ten years down the road, no one is going to remember your little social slip-ups. =) And remember how you kept telling yourself, you'll be happy for the girl? And that one should figure out themselves before trying to figure out another person. Are you at ease with who you are now?

I know you love the warm fuzzy feeling of being in love with something. First it was books, then it was characters, then it was poetic words. Well...keep loving, keep swimming, keep trying something new. Remember how you teared a little at this? 

"Love is love is love is love is love is love is love is love cannot be killed or swept aside."
        ~ 
Lin-Manuel Miranda

It's not shameful to feel. I hope you keep feeling. The opposite of love is not hate but indifference. Isn't that why you love books and words and animated film? Do you still love them?

Have you traveled? Seventeen-year-old you wanted to go to London, and sixteen-year-old you wanted to visit Walt Disney Animation studios. As well as the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Your best friend and you wanted to backpack Europe together. If you haven't, why not plan it soon?

Life's too short to be filled with regrets. ;-)

I hope you've been well, and happy. Wishing you (or, myself...HAHA) many more years of being happy. Take care of your health, yeah?

Cheers,
your seventeen-year-old self

P.S. Remember that call to home!

1