A Certain Type of Decisive

Just your unfriendly neighborhood disaster, bringing you bi-weekly updates from the bottom of my own shoe!

Listen, Linda, a black hole produces noise. Wait, actually don't, if you listen to it, you'll die instantly because it's approximately a million billion times deeper than the human ear is able to hear. It's a Bb.

Science and Poetry (Again) #126

9
Is there anything half so sickening as an orbit?
Something half so cruel
As God devised to keep lovers apart?
A dance they must dance because they can't stop making music?
The Sun and the Earth and the Moon
And you
And I
The Sun, he pulls, and he pulls
And he pulls
And the Earth, she reaches and reaches
And she reaches
And the moon, she is none the wiser
Everyone is dying to escape the dance,
To go flying into the other, top-speed, 
To die
The Sun and the Earth and the Moon
And you
And I
And Newton
He was wrong-
He was oh, so wrong
The difference between Love and Gravity is that Gravity is affected by distance
And he was wrong because Gravity decays
Gravity dies
You and I are Neutron stars
And our orbit is coming to an end
Love comes in waves and it sounds like a song
Is there anything half so wonderful as the end of an orbit?
Newton was wrong
He was oh, so wrong
You and I are dancing and dying
While in space, no one can hear you scream
But in space, everyone can hear the stars sing
"There Is Sound in Space, Thanks to Gravitational Waves"  Siegel, Ethan

• Brielle P. Chor

What an artful disaster. My former impression of the impossible has now been enlightened. I would've been much disappointed if this weren't as metaphorical as you have put it. And I agree, if we can't bring out the magic in Science, then it isn't Art (and don't mind me being a Physics geek, it sure wouldn't be Science at all either).

Science and poetry is a unique combination, and you truly show how beautiful the universe is by meshing these two and explaining science in a more poetic way.

Btw I just wanted to say that I support you in this drama. I mean, come on, it's a poem, and it features scientific topics in a very creative way. fatpanda has a point, but idk I think this piece is amazing. *shrugs*

• fatpanda

hello, a long while back you submitted this for prompt 2 of my contest, and i'm sorry but, i'll have to disqualify this piece. while you do use science in this poem, i was looking for entries written from only a scientific point-of-view, which, unfortunately, this entry is not. however, you're free to enter something else under the same prompt if you wish! :)

• Loser

Response to your question on word limit:
    Unfortunately, I cannot expand word limit because of the amount of contestants who have already submitted for the prompts. However, because I appreciate the amount of work you put into a project, I will offer you 2 free peer reviews if you publish the piece so I can still read it. Comment them on my #feb winners piece if you want to take me up on my offer.

• Loser

I love how you describe an orbit; it is quite creative and beautiful.