Victoria Martin

Everyone has a story to tell

Postcard Short Story

2
It's quiet here. I don't know what you would think of it but I find it soothing. You never get a stillness like this in the city. There’s always something happening.Somebody's something is  going on and you just get caught up in the lives of other people. I did at least. Here I can live life as it happens, not just watch it flash before me. We never really talked about stuff like this in conversation. I guess it's easier to say things when you don't really have to say it out loud. 
One thing I noticed in this new silence how much people talk.How people talk so much you’d think they had something important to say, but it's just empty words. Writing gives words more weight than just having them float around in speech .I remember trying to choke my voice into a conversation just to be heard. Or maybe just to hear myself? You would know the answer to that, wouldn’t you? You knew a lot of things but never said anything, I was always amazed at your silence. I don’t get how someone who spoke as beautifully as you, would be all shut up. Though there was this one time when I caught you humming a little tune to yourself and it was the sweetest thing. Your voice just sounded like it wanted to be heard, like it was escaping something. I think about that a lot.
Anyway, I think you’d like it here, there are more trees than you could count and there isn’t another soul for miles all around. I know I haven’t seen you in a while, and the last time I did it wasn’t...well you’d know better than I would.I know it must be hard for you to remember but Dad wanted me to keep you safe. I’m finally old enough to do that now so why won’t you just come? Why do you torture yourself staying with them? Please just tell me why?You don’t need to be quiet anymore. 
    Love forever and always,
                                                     Cleo
Second piece from my Writers Craft Class.

• a rose

I really like this, especially the middle bit about words on the page having more space and the relationship as a whole. what happened???