efflorescence

17 | INFJ | she/her

[ summer + fall 2019 ] peer ambassador

lover of magical realism, bedroom pop, digital illustration, & honey almond butter

my school's cancelled today and probably for the next 2 weeks, and i don't know how i feel about it. i guess an upside is that there's more time for poetry? but i'm just so scared that everything's going to be cancelled (a concert I bought tickets for, my summer program that I just spent weeks hyping myself up for, my family's trip to europe, etc). how are you guys handling it?

books aren't meant to be broken

21
if my skin was paper,
i would ink words like tattoos
across pale-peach flesh,
lyrics to bittersweet tragedies,
friends' birthdays that never seem to stick in my head,
letters to myself that only come true
if i wish upon a last-breath star,
and poetry, so sharp
the lines draw blood,
red-sliced veins across butterfly wrists.

if my spine was wood,
i'd grow until i scraped the sky,
spreading my arms like wings,
a canopy 
for the dreams nestled on my limbs like birds,
flitting away at the slightest of movements.

if my soul was a book,
i'd burn the paper until it blackened,
singed with the promise
that no one could ever thumb through my secrets
or bookmark my heart to borrow later.

so don't tear my pages,
don't break my spine,
don't fold my soul
just so you can slip back in,
into a story that isn't yours.

1

• FizzyBaguette

(responding to your comment here so you'll get the notif)
    That sounds like a fantasy writer's dream. I sure hope COVID-19 blows over too so you can go.

• ???

This is beautiful.. I honestly don't have the apt words to describe how good this is! Amazing, awesome, mind-blowing, fantastic work!!!

• FizzyBaguette

I wish I could even have the skill to express how beautiful this is....DAMN GIRL! This is *makes wild hand gestures and knocks over mug*
    Yeah, also schools have been closed here as well. It kinda sucks, but I'm not exactly complaining after binge-watching b99 today. The summer program (I assume it's the one in the bio) sounds pretty neat too. What's it about?

• NovaStorm03

Wow... this is AMAZING! You have painted such an emotional, poetic story with these words... like DANG!!!!! You've got a gift and I am blown away, so beautiful!

Also ya this whole pandemic sucks. My school was about to perform this epic play and then everything got cancelled. But I'm glad that they are preventing it spreading more. :)

• a rose

I adore this poem. It's vivid imagery with sharp emotion. Also, about the pandemic, my school is moved totally online and my favorite thing in the world is cancelled for two weeks and I'm just like gosh I've been liking my life so much why this?

I am so in awe of your skill with words. Every poem of yours that I read leaves me breathless.