Charisse Marison

Disney Fan
Harry Styles Stan
Proud Hufflepuff
Theatre is my life
Favorite food: Everything!
Always trying to help out fellow writers get their voices heard
All of you are amazing people! Don't forget that :)

I know this is a pretty heavy topic, but I feel like someone needs to write about it.
Also, BEFORE YOU READ, this story contains details about human reproduction. I mean, no vivid imagery or anything, but YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
Also, I just wanted to say thank you to all my 72 followers. I love each and every one of you on this website. Thank you for your continual support of me. If you disagree with my opinion, please don't let your view of me change. I love you all <3
And, if you support my cause, put the hashtag #smallheartsinourhands in the comments :)

Small Hearts In Our Hands (Mature Topic)

I want you to close your eyes right now. Picture yourself floating in an empty space, completely at peace. You have not come to face the world yet and are preparing to be loved and cared for. You get the chance to live. Be who you want to be. Unfortunately, your dreams will not become reality. Because someone decides to kill you. Because someone decides that they don't want you and you were just a mistake.
Imagine that. For a moment.
You will never be loved. You will never get a chance to change the world.
Because before you even got the chance, someone decided to end your life.
This, my fellow writers is called abortion. And it is legal.
    Abortion began a long time ago, back in the late 1800's. At the time, abortions were considered illegal. However, women would still manage to have abortions by either having poison injected into them or through taking medicines.
Abortion was still illegal. But over time, people began fighting for it to be made legal. Long story short, there was a whole debate during which the Supreme Court declared abortions legal. Ever since then, it's kind of spiraled out of control.
I cannot express how much it hurts me to hear people are getting abortions. I just think about all those babies who will never get a chance at life. Because we just didn't want them.
    Now, a common argument is that the baby in the womb (fetus) is not yet human, therefore it is okay to kill. However, this statement is actually false. From the moment the baby is conceived, it has a soul. It has a life. In that miraculous moment, two people create a new life form. Not the potential of a life form. A living, breathing baby.
Though most people don't consider a fetus a baby, scientific studies have proven that it is. Babies get their heartbeats as early as 5 weeks, and can feel pain as early as 20 weeks. Over the span of about 10 months, the babies grow their limbs, a spinal cord, and all other vital organs. A life is being formed from the very beginning!
    Feminists like to argue that its their body, and that they should have control over it no matter what. A lot of people think it should be their choice.
    First off, while pregnant, the baby is almost a different part of you. There are some stories about a woman's body attacking the fetus due to different blood types between the two or other issues. So, yes, the baby is inside your body. But it has its own body as well. So is it really your choice to destroy it?
    Now, I understand that we all deserve a choice. We all have the right to make our own decisions, so I can see where they  are coming from. However, while thinking about this I came to the realization that it is their choice. They can choose to have sex or not. A lot of abortions are through teenage girls who sleep with a guy, find out that they're pregnant, and choose to kill the baby. The child should not have to suffer because you wanted to have some pleasure with a guy. Sex is meant for reproduction and not just for whenever you feel like it. You have to understand that doing so could possibly get you pregnant. And you have to accept the consequence of your actions. If you are a girl, please be very careful on what you do. I personally am against sex unless it is between a married couple for the purpose of starting a family. So please, if you or someone you know gets pregnant off of one night, I plead you to convince them against an abortion.
   This topic honestly makes me very sad. Our population is growing smaller because people are deciding to kill off their own babies. It is also popular to abort babies who are going to suffer a disability after they are born, such as Down Syndrome. Just knowing that, that these individuals who can make the world a better place, no matter what disabilities they have, are being aborted because they are different just pains my heart. All those little children who will never get the chance to experience the beauty of life, all those who are brutally murdered because they aren't wanted. Why can't we live in a world where we can accept these children? And, yes, I know pregnancy is hard. I'm not even saying you have to care for the child. You can even put it up for adoption. But all of us need to make a stand. We need to realize that these kids are our future. That these kids deserve a chance at life as much as we do. So please have a change of heart. Please work to save lives.
Because all their small hearts are in our hands
Citations:
https://studentsforlife.org/high-school/history-of-abortion/ 
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10297561
https://erlc.com/resource-library/articles/study-shows-preborn-babies-feel-pain-as-early-as-12-weeks-gestation
https://www.acog.org/Patients/FAQs/How-Your-Fetus-Grows-During-Pregnancy?IsMobileSet=false 
https://prochoice.org/education-and-advocacy/about-abortion/history-of-abortion/

• sci-Fi

I appreciate your point of view. This is a great piece, especially for such a real topic. But if a fifteen year old girl is raped and gets pregnant with a child she didn't ask for, then shouldn't she get to choose whether this will ruin her life or not? And yes, she can put it up for adoption, but would the child really be better off growing up without the love of a parent, or never being accepted by a family?

You mention that a woman already has a choice when she chooses to have pre-marital sex, and that is partly true. What if a girl was forced into it by someone she doesn't want to disappoint? Or maybe they are brainwashed by someone who is important to them, and does it thinking it's right?

A fetus isn't alive until it takes its first breath. Even if it has a heartbeat, it's still relying on the mother and is therefor not living. While the baby is unaware of everything happening around it, the mother is the one who has to carry it, and nurture it, and change every aspect of her life for something she may not have even wanted. Pregnancy is a challenging thing, and sometimes a women just isn't up for it.

Also, about the rape stats, I just disagree. One percent is one percent too many. We should be doing everything to try and fix this awful problem. And that includes giving a woman a choice on whether she wants to carry a reminder of her trauma around for nine months, even if she gives the baby up.

I'm not trying to fight, I swear. I just think that every point of view should be considered. I think that women should have the right to choose to use our amazing biological gifts only when we are ready.

Another good point to bring up is the fact that dependency and level of development does not change the humanness of a baby. Additionally, many people bring up rape as an argument for abortion, so I would recommend doing research on the rarity of these situations and make sure to emphasize that one wrong does not validate another one. Mention the process of adoption that happens at birth (rather than through foster care). <3

Charisse, while I do agree with you on this issue, I feel like you may need to edit this so it is more sensitively put. Abortion is an extremely emotionally charged subject for both sides, and everyone has a story to tell. Additionally, when discussing abortion, it's best to stay away from opinions such as pre-marital sex and stick to facts and the humanness of the unborn child. However, I am very glad that you're addressing this subject, and I applaud you for your bravery. If you read my poem "I cried for help but my murder went unseen", it may give you some ideas.<3

• myriad dreams

I disagree with most of the points that you made. First of all, there is a clear distinction between a foetus and a human being. A foetus cannot live unsupported before 21 weeks. And, the scientific consensus is that babies can't feel pain until, at least 24 weeks and generally abortion can safely be carried out till the 24th week of pregnancy (i.e before the foetus can feel pain).

Secondly, pregnancy is not smooth sailing. carrying a baby to term puts a woman under mental and physical duress. And this is even worse when you are doing so unwillingly. My point is that the enormous emotional and physical harm that pregnancy can bring about should never be forced on anyone. Women are the ones incubating the foetus inside their body. They should indeed have a say in what happens to it.

And thirdly, I’m afraid your personal opinion on the issue of pre-marital sex is not really shared by the majority of American women, with pre-marital sex being "nearly universal" in America, according to a 2007 study, and it has been for decades. What I mean to say is that, you can’t really impose your ideas on to another person who might have a completely different value system, perspective or culture. Nor can you condemn or rebuke them for making a choice. What you can do is respect their decision and the choices they make. I We are all the product of our environment and society. In the words of Atticus Finch “You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view … until you climb into his skin and walk around in it.”

That is, you cannot just put everyone in the same box, different women have different reasons for the choices they make. And its not for us, to pass judgement on it if we do not try to understand the situations that led them to make the decision that they made.

Moreover they are not asking to get pregnant, there are several instances when the contraceptive breaks, etc.

What pro-lifers are essentially doing is that, they are prioritising the life of a foetus over the life of a grown woman. A woman undergoes a significant number of challenges during and after pregnancy which could traumatise and scar her for the rest of her life. Forcing an unwilling woman to carry the baby to term, is equivalent to taking away her agency and free will.

• HelpMe512

I agree with your standpoint, but I disagree with a few of your points. You said that girls having sex is their choice, but for some it's not. What about rape? The girl most certainly would not have a choice in that. What if protection fails? That is not the girl's choice, and saying that is it their choice is victim blaming. Also, different people have different beliefs about sex. You may think it's for reproduction and you shouldn't do it until marriage, but some people don't and you have to respect that. And it's not like they're going "hey I'm going to have sex so I can kill a baby". No. They think they're protected, and that's their choice.
    Personally, I am asexual so I don't really understand sex for pleasure, but I know that for some people, it's something enjoyable. Why should they have to refrain from doing that just because of a few risks? How would you feel if, say, someone said you weren't allowed to do something you enjoy, like rock climbing, just because you could fall? I'm against abortion because I don't thinking killing babies is morally correct, but you have to have a little bit of respect for the people who don't have a choice, and you should probably consider all the information to form your opinion.

• silvernight

i believe you haven't addressed other serious nuances of this issue. it doesn't have the black and white distinction that you present it to have. consider this, please, before you villianize people.

• samsoommadi

I largely disagree.

• WhiteMountains

I hope you win. This is so important.

• Tushar Mandhan

A very bold topic and very sound arguments! Though I'm no one to say this but when started studying biology, to me, specimens were just specimens but later on, I realised they are also someone's love. But yeah, I really appreciate your work. Many such people call it 'unexpected child' and here's my answer, 'you knew you didn't use protection, what did you expect? A plasma screen TV or a million dollar? of course, a baby! There is nothing like an unexpected child.
    PS- sorry if it went a bit...over PG13