Wicked!

ENFP-T

Daydreaming and procrastinating more than is healthy.

Writer's block and sleep deprivation are my constant companions.

Community Ambassador Alum

[pfp: cover art for "Wild World" by Bastille]

Wrote this during the Delhi riots (using this word kills me every single time). Republishing for N.'s #onetrick contest. Check it out :)

I spelled lightning wrong, oops.

Feedback really helps, people. Be brutally honest, I don't mind.
Reviews are greatly appreciated, but if they don't offer any criticism, they're not much use.

paint the sky vermillion | #onetrick(4)

14

my bones
(drained of marrow)
cannot stand this
anymore;
let my knees
buckle, let me
fall (to the ground).

go, paint the sky vermillion.

let the heavens
erupt in wrath,
lightening dripping
with relentless passion,
fury of the gods (that 
you hold so dear).

raise the flag up (high 
in the sky); let my blood
spill, let it cleanse
your drains 
(your brains).

Wrote this in the middle of studying for my history exam. I don't know what it is, but it's definitely a reaction to the situation in Delhi right now: 3 days of violence. 42 people dead, mostly Muslims. More than 200 injured. It started after protesters against the Citizenship (Amendment) Act were attacked, and as I read somewhere the other day, protesters don't want riots, and rioters don't want protests.

(I wrote about that law in this poem last month, and pretty much explained it all in the footnotes.)

Vermillion is a reference to red, which is associated with revolution, as well as to saffron, which is considered sacred in Hinduism, but is increasingly being associated with Hindutva (which the party in power at the Centre basically loves).

Drains is in reference to corpses being found in drains. (Yeah, that's happening. It sucks.)

1

• N.

• Loser

Wow, there is so much symbolism in this piece! It really helps to hammer your message home with people who may not have heard about the situation in Delhi (like me).

• silvernight

ouch. yeah. i think many people tend to ignore the inherently revolutionary nature of poetry- you've captured an unexplainable feeling here. anger, regret, sorrow, spite... it's great. it's fantastic.

• Wicked!

Yeah lol I heard that the physics exam was really tough.

• Tushar Mandhan

Mine are also going good but physics...seems like CBSE had some issues with us.

• Wicked!

@Tushar Mandhan I had to mention that the dead are mostly Muslims, because almost all of them died not because they did anything wrong, but only, only because they're Muslims. They became a target of the mobs who killed them only because of their religion and their faith. The people who got away and saved themselves had to first prove that they weren't Muslims. So the only thing that became the difference between life and death for a person was their religious identity.
    You're right. We as a nation are being affected, because the kind of incidents that are happening in the country and the kind of slogans our 'leaders' are giving, are undermining the country's ethics. Country is before religion, but it seems that for some people these days, 'purging' the country of Muslims seems to be the best thing that they could do for it.
    My exams have been going fine, what about yours?

• Tushar Mandhan

I also recently wrote a poem on the topic called 'four hundred stabs.'
    Also if you won't mind I have a suggestion, you need not to add 'mostly muslims' as I think we as a nation are being affected. We Indians. Just a suggestion, I mean country is before religion and that's what our motive is behind these poems.
    And yeah, how're your exams going on?