BurningMidnightOil

currently burning the midnight oil.
she/her | gay

i pop in from time to time. and i may have some new material since it’s now 2021.

you know, spending a few minutes to write some feedback will do me wonders? i'd really really appreciate it if you do. i'm sure you're quite busy this time of year—hey! want a grape?

every monument is ours

8

why don't you call hell, love, darling?
because if we fall, we'll be falling in love.
and you'll call that your motto
and i'll slap karma across it's face––
i'll do it because we're the parthenon.

strawberries slip past plump, purpled lips
like mojitos in the still-dark morning––
we'll sit on the curb
because your leg is bum and the road is famished.
or perhaps––perhaps it's the way
we run red lights.

babylon is our home because
we deserve vines choking our throats
to squeeze out overripe arias.

fingers trailing dimpled cheeks sliced
by wayward tears––
fools we are, pouring sketches into the dirt
like great offerings to our mothers.
passion leaks from your brow,
slick and golden––
not red, darling, not red.

the ship has sailed for selçuk.
bring back crippled columns and etch
the goddess across my back.
we'll rage in her shadow
or pray in our sleep––
we'll slumber in the mediterranean.
the ripples will echo in our wake.
Finished: (27/02/2020 8:27PM)

dear ladies and gentlefriends (as coined by @Ahna), i have fantastic news—writer's block no longer seems to be a hinderance; however—lest i speak too soon, we can agree that it will be back. because it's just a little shite, you know? anyway, i hope you're all doing well. i was thinking about opening my email up for anyone who needs a quick beta reader for a quick 1-2 sentence constructive criticism. or perhaps anyone who simply wants to talk about good books and drinkable writing. anybody interested? if so, let me know so i can take a small poll! thanks:)

also, on another note (i seem to be using this preposition often, lately), this poem really isn't my usual style, it's really abstract for me. i usually try to have lines stay about the same length so the stanzas end up being quite uniform, but this jaggedness and rawness feels more, i suppose. well, whether you love it or hate it, it is what it is:)

2

i actually love this, thanks for bringing to my attention! (and as much as i love starting trends, you know what i love more? people spelling my alias right lmao.)

"i'll slap karma across it's face–– / i'll do it because we're the parthenon", "babylon is our home because / we deserve vines choking our throats / to squeeze out overripe arias," "pouring sketches into the dirt / like great offerings to our mothers", "bring back crippled columns and etch / the goddess across my back."

this is absolutely stunning :)