Rachel the Author

Tennis player, martial artist, nerd, gamer and writer with a crazy imagination.

This piece is a lot on the fluffy side of things. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Unexpected Beginning

PROMPT: Monologue

0
    "It all started with a bump in the hallway in middle school. I was in sixth grade and walking to class on a normal school day when he bumped roughly into me causing me to drop my books. When I opened my mouth to apologize he snarkily snapped 'Watch it you idiot!' I would later know him as Arthur Green, but in that moment he was the rather angry and annoying boy who had knocked into me. I remember clearly that I was extremely irked at this boy for getting angry at ME for something HE did. I raised an eyebrow and asked him what his problem was. He only scowled and walked away. That event is what started the "war" between myself and Arthur.
    "As time when on, my resentment for the black haired idiot only grew (the feeling was mutual on his end too). Whenever we would see each other in the hallway, we would scowl and taunt each other with very "creative" names such as fart face, four eyes, booger breath, dweeb, etc. Our battle continued on though high school. It seemed like nothing would stop our struggle for who was better, but I was beginning to doubt my intentions of the mockery. It wasn't until near the end of junior year that things changed. I was in a car accident that ended up with me being paralyzed from the waist down. I was in the hospital for several weeks before I could return to school, and when I did, everyone looked at me different. Even Arthur.
    "He still insulted me, but it was if he had lost the heart to do it. There was no malice in his words. Just pity. The school year ended and I was prepared to spend the summer alone because I couldn't play sports with all my friends anymore. What I didn't expect was Arthur.
   "He began visiting me, checking to see how I was doing. My shock at the whole situation began to ease as we started spending more time with each other. I began to think that he wasn't all that bad. He would push me around outside and we would talk about our plans for the future. He wanted to be a baseball player and I wanted to make video games. I would sit and watch as he hit baseballs at the batting cages, I would kick his butt at Dead By Daylight. I didn't understand at the time what was happening, but I did know that the boy I hated in middle school was gone.
    "Senior year came along. I expected our relationship to change, but it didn't. He still pushed me around, and now we would study together. Everything was going great. We got accepted into the same college, Arthur went to State for baseball and won. We no longer insulted each other, unless it was just silly and goofy. We didn't mean it any more. Then, at high school graduation, it happened.
    "After the ceremony, Arthur took me to the high school baseball field. and we watched the sunset from the pitchers mound. Then, with the sun glinting off of his raven hair and unease in his blue eyes, he turned to me and said, "Christa, we've never really gotten along. The first time I met you, I found you annoying and I wanted nothing to do with you. You were so bright and bubbly that it got on my nerves. It was like staring at the sun. It burned my eyes and I needed to look away before I went blind or burned to a crisp from sunburn. But I never realized that maybe you weren't the sun. You were the moon; kind, gentle, soft, and beautiful as the night sky. I didn't realize it soon enough. It took almost losing you before I realized what you mean to me. People look at you and think you are weak, but they're wrong. You're strong! And I-I love you! I want to spend my life with you! I don't care if you think you can't do anything or if you can't have a family! I want to live the rest of my days with you! I won't leave you alone. I just want you to be happy." I was too stunned to say anything. Then, the blacked haired idiot who made me drop my books and called me names, leaned in and kissed me for the first time.
The war was over.