Cae

High School
African American
“What I ask for the negro is not benevolence, not pity, not sympathy, but simply justice.” -What the Black Man Wants, Frederick Douglass

What would your body say to you if it could speak?

Dear Cae

1
Dear Cae, 
What did I ever do to you? You berate me and insult me. You tell me I’m not good enough every day. You’re never satisfied with me. I don’t understand it. I keep you alive! I take you where you want to go! I help you! I’m the only person who will be there for you until you die. Speaking of which, if you don’t stop putting your fingers down your throat you WILL die. I can’t take that. I’m not build to purge and binge and fast. I’m built to live. To survive. Please, PLEASE start listening to me when I tell you what I need. I love you. And you aren’t ready to lose me.
We’re a TEAM! We’re in this together! So stop fighting me for doing what I need to. I need to grow and expand, it’s a part of life. I’m not like anyone else’s, I’m yours. Please, at least try to accept me.

with great exasperation,
your body
We had a prompt in Intensive Outpatient to write a letter from our body to us. This is the refined result.

• February 6, 2020 - 11:30am (Now Viewing)