casamiento

Activist, Writer, Actress, Speaker. Acknowledgments and Idols: Antoinette Pippin, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Emma Watson

You wish on that star all you want. But remember, that old star can only take you part of the way. You gotta help it get along with some hard work of your own.

Midnight- Draft

Act I, Scene I

Setting: Lucy’s bedroom, midnight, on balcony

At rise: Lucy is on the balcony (stage right) looking at the city in front of her/out at the audience; James, her older brother, walks in from stage left

LUCY: [at ease, expressionless

JAMES: Rose said you’d be here. 

LUCY: [laughs bitterly] Rose knows a lot about me.

JAMES: Mom knew a lot about you too. 

LUCY: [smiles forms] She did, didn’t she?

JAMES: Remember how she would sing us to sleep every night, no matter how old we were? 

LUCY: [laughs] And how she would help you untie your shoes while you brushed your teeth because of how slow you were?

JAMES: Yeah. She was good at multitasking.

LUCY: I wish she didn’t go. 

JAMES: Sometimes things happen because to universe meant it to. 

LUCY: [annoyed, as James very well knows Lucy apposes fate and destiny] James, please don’t-

JAMES: All I’m saying is that maybe this will lead to something better? Sometimes you just have to sit back and watch it all play back!

LUCY: [rolls her eyes]

JAMES: Lucy, it isn’t as if we could get her back! She’s dead.

LUCY: [the word dead hits Lucy, as she finally needs to face the fact her mother is dead] I know.

JAMES: She’s not coming back. 

LUCY: I know.

JAMES: Really? Because I don’t think you-

LUCY: [faces James, tears start to form] I know! I know she’s gone. I know she’s dead. I know, I know, I know. I just want her back. I don’t want to face it all without her! [Lucy is in tears at this point] I just want her back.

JAMES: [expressions softens, he becomes aware he hurt Lucy] Lucy…

LUCY: I miss her.

JAMES: I do too, Lucy. I do too. 

- James and Lucy hug for a while-

LUCY: [laughs softly] Damn it, I’m not supposed to let my guard down.

JAMES: Oh yes, the Great Wall of Lucy. 

LUCY: [shoves James playfully] Oh don’t start that. 

JAMES: Mom always said you had a tough shell.

LUCY: [smiles, accepting her mother’s death] Yeah, she did.

1

• The Rebellious One!

I truly loved this piece. It's interesting, dramatic and emotional with the tears, hugs and all. And it has a bit of humour which makes me fall in love with it even more!