loveletterstosappho

writer of stories, lover of girls

keramikous // ceramics

31

& it's not like i'm trying
    to be a high school stereotype but
    the cafeteria is so crowded
& the bathroom so quiet except for
    the two girls who don't know i'm there
    who don't know i hear their gossip
& it's not like i'm trying
    to eavesdrop but 
    it's hard not to listen
    to the only people talking in
    a series of echoey stalls
& they don't know their voices
    make me anxious like
    the idea of losing makes me anxious like
           loss
    makes me anxious like
    loose fingers make me anxious like
    people dropping things makes me anxious like
    crashing like
    porcelain like
    newborn babies slipping like fish from
    careless hands
& skulls split open like
    the ribcage i snapped in biology.
& it's not like i'm trying
    to make everything about her but
    she once told me she hates bio
    so am i to blame for thinking of her
    when nothing else makes me quite as dizzy?
& it's not like i'm trying
    to avoid her but i hate
    the way her eyes pass over me in the halls
& i've always been more follower
    than leader so all i know is reciprocation so
    all i do is mirror her eyes passing over me
    in the halls
& she doesn't believe in astrology but
    i read our horoscopes anyway. they're
    usually wrong but last night they said
    be honest

& i hate being honest. 

& i'm not trying 
    to be a high school stereotype but
    maybe my fingers are meant
    to let loose like
    crashing like
    porcelain. 

comment down below if you want to hear an audio recording of me reading this, and leave your email (it can be a spam account, i don't care). it's a file that i have no idea how to attach to this piece (i don't think i can) so i'll email it to anyone who wants to hear. 

ugh i really love this, i can relate to the anxiety feelings so much, that bit about "newborn babies slipping like fish from/careless hands" especially. this poem is way too real.

• Wicked!

I literally just read this like seven times because man, this is some amazing writing. I absolutely love this.

I am awestruck. This is definitely one of the best pieces on this entire site.

february highlights are live, and you're in them!
    http://bit.ly/3bavJY6

• efflorescence

(replying here instead of on my poem so you can get the notif hehe) tysm!! haha my parents are actually really supportive of the humanities, so i think they were even more enthusiastic about it than me! technically i also applied for kenyon & iowa through the scholastic art & writing summer scholarship thingy, but i'm already committed to sshi haha so i hope you get in <333

• babybluelamentations

<3<3<3 agshdjkf I already commented earlier but bro this is beautifull and I just realized the ties between this poem and the one about the pig in bio like woah I rlly vibe with that connection between pieces.
    (also I really don’t get why wtw doesn’t let us communicate outside of the site; I had a piece taken down for a similar reason lmao)

• loveletterstosappho

hi all, i was told that i can't ask for people's emails and had this piece taken down. i've republished it (if i edit my footnote it saves as a different version and i can't publish the version with all of this feedback) but no more emails :(

• luluwrites111

i just spontaneously combusted because this is meeee AJSJHSDGGFKJHSD

• babybluelamentations

sappho, you are a blessing to this site. the repetition in this piece is so beautiful and makes this entire work just a lyrical, flowing masterpiece. what an amazing poem. I absolutely adore this; it’s so packed with feeling and longing and i would love so much to hear you read it. here’s my address: honey_grace3@yahoo.com. please email me if you can. I’d love to hear how you would read this gorgeous piece <3

• Writers of the World

https://bit.ly/3bOLQvP

• N.

agh i stan, your imagery is fantastic; you did such a great job setting the scene in so few words and it all ties together in such a rewarding way, aaand the format is genius. beautiful work!

• weirdo

i still love love love this after reading it the second time. the porcelain motif, the rhythm, the formatting, the everything! absolutely beautiful, as everything written by you is.

• Jun Lei

i love this.
    alia.ailia275@gmail.com

• Cae

I love this so much!!!!!! Amazing job!!!

• Bear<3

I am wordless from this piece, but in awe. I love this piece so flipping much!!

• Bear<3

EMAIL ME takisiluv2016@gmail.com

• jeily

god my breath was just taken away i love this so much.

• fatpanda

"& it's not like i'm trying
    to be a high school stereotype but" with an opening line like THAT this piece is already amongst my favourites, and i love love love the rambling feel to this poem. i like poetry of this kind, many independent ideas connected by streams of thoughts. this truly is amazing, and i would really like to listen to your recording! here's my email id: thewackycreature@gmail.com (blame 7th grade me for this atrocity)

• BurningMidnightOil

damn. damn, damn, damn, *damn*. this piece is so lovely. the rhythm and undulation of this is so magnificent. and the style? don't get me started. the voice you used to narrate this story is absolutely brilliant. it' has this sort of melancholy and listlessness, i reallyndon't know how to explain it. really, it's gorgeous. well done as always. i would love if you could send me the recording you mentioned above. my email is as follows: burningmidnightoil14@gmail.com (i know, predictable and *so* creative). Thank you for sharing:)

• Jasmine_K

this. this is so beautiful? your technique is flawless. the run-on formatting combined with the short line breaks makes the words so much more impactful. i would honestly love to hear you read this if you're comfortable with that! my email is jk26966@pausd.us

• Ursa

oh my LORD sappho this is so amazing and painful and crashing like waves of thought into my mind

I love it.