Rewrite_The_Stars

"The noblest art is that of making others happy"
-P.T. Barnum
"It's okay to fall apart every now and then. Tacos fall apart, and we still love them."
-Random memes
"I try not to think. It interferes with being nuts."
-Leo Valdez

Dork, Nerd, Bookworm, Historical Fic, Mystery
Future English teacher/Librarian
Writing
Drawing
Piano
Violin
TACO BELL
Star Wars
LOTR/Hobbit
Marvel/DC
Cars
Old/Retro/Vintage stuff

The Danger of Alcoholism (Research Paper)

0
The Danger of Alcoholism
    “Alcoholism is a thief of health, mental sanity, and human dignity,” says Dr. T.P. Chia. Alcohol consumption is associated with a wide range of adverse health and social consequences, both acute and chronic. Alcoholism is a chronic disease that may strike at any age, and while consuming the vile liquid may sound appealing early on, one must consider the consequences. Alcoholism is becoming a dangerous epidemic because it kills people, is bad for their health, and increases violence. 
    To begin with, alcoholism is becoming a dangerous epidemic because it increases violence. When a person is exposed to alcohol and consumes it on a frequent basis, it may impair their ability to act logically. As Bower said, “Male alcoholics who started drinking before 20 are more likely to experience clinical depression, attempt suicide, and spend time in jail for violence.” (“Science News”). Studies show teens have an ever-increasing problem with alcohol, consuming it at younger and younger ages. Even though they may not mean to, “[p]atients who started abusing alcohol in their teens were twice as likely to have spent time in jail for violent offenses” (“National Institutes of Health”). Professionals refer to these violent alcohol abusers in a different “subgroup”. The behavior of this “subgroup” of alcoholics is influenced by disruptions in the availability of serotonin, a chemical messenger in the brain that causes changes in mood and aggression (“Science News”). This imbalance in serotonin levels found in young alcoholics may explain the violent behavior.
    Furthermore, alcoholism is making a big impact on the health of many people. While alcohol may seem cool or fun to drink, it impacts people’s health more than they realize. “More than 145,000 emergency room visits by people between 12 and 21 years old are alcohol-related” (Stewart, 7). This shows us that one never knows when the devastating effects of alcohol will strike. Another common side-effect of drinking is blackouts. “A person who drinks a great deal may have blackouts. In extreme cases, a person can die from alcohol poisoning. Alcohol poisoning occurs when a person drinks so much that the alcohols lows down his or her breathing and heart rate to dangerously low levels. A person who has alcohol poisoning may stop breathing or may choke or suffocate on his or her own vomit because the gag reflex is impaired” (Lynette, 13). People should consider what could happen to them if they drink too much. One would also know that humans need their brains to function properly. Once consuming too much alcohol, the chemicals in the beverage slow down the brain’s ability to function and weakens its ability to communicate with the body (Lynette, 10). This may make traveling or talking to people very challenging and could end badly.
    Lastly, alcohol is dangerous because it takes many lives. People most likely do not consider how much of a risk they are taking with consuming alcohol. “Alcohol kills more than 100,000 Americans each year” (Stewart, 6). People should consider how many lives are taken by this substance, and that it could be them. There are many ways to die through alcohol. “Many of those deaths are due to drunk driving or other types of accidents” (Stewart, 6).
People who are under the influence of alcohol cannot keep their focus on driving and on their surroundings at the same time, which may result in an accident. Teens may be wondering why this applies to them if they are not driving yet. This applies to everyone no matter what. According to the Centers for Disease Control, an average of 5,000 people under the age of 21 die because of alcohol each year (Stewart, 6). Before consuming even a sip of alcohol, one should consider the risks and their future before potentially ruining their lives forever. 
    In conclusion, alcoholism is becoming a very widespread epidemic because it increases violence, is bad for people’s health, and kills many people. Alcoholism is bad in every way and someone needs to figure out a way to stop it. Instead of checking IDs at the counter at bars or stores, certain locations could get government access to look up the person to check their actual date of birth and picture to make sure they are not lying. There aren’t many ways to prevent alcoholism, but people who want a good future for humankind will try.

this is my research paper for my ela class so i thought i would post it on here since i haven't put anything on in awhile!

enjoy! and please give me feedback if you make it all the way through! XD

• Joey M.

Yes, narwhal XD

• Joey M.

Replying:

Hey! Yes, I'm doing okay ^-^ It's been a rough few days, not gonna lie, but I'm in a better mood today. Soon we'll get her ashes, and whenever (hopefully when we move this year) we get our "forever home", I will plant a garden and spread her there. It's something nice to think about, I guess. And no, there's nothing you can do. Just your friendship and support is plenty enough! :) Have a good day!

-Your Blue Eyed Buddy

• Joey M.

._. this is why I'm never drinking in the furture. This a real nice paper tho, very well written. Very informative. Ya teacher better give you an A+ xD