agustdv

United Arab Emirates

[ a f r a h ]

far too nonchalant about things i should probably care about

reviews pLeAsE. reviews without anything constructive are honestly a waste of your time, more than anything. be harsh or whatever when you critique me, but please do.

as for comments, they help a lot lol so if you drop a few, it would be highly appreciated.

india

10

"i am haunted by humans."

but i yearn for their philosophical intricacies—
the irony of mottled education 
oozing
like a warm      blister
on the b-side of a censored album.

the podium gleams; black and blue
a cheshire grin, the prime minister's gums
moving incomprehensibly 
like the trains leading to auschwitz—
     but we are not in germany
we are in india
spices and trade routes
     and
The Occupation
The Riots
The Bill
The Concentration Camps
The Segregation
The Un-Subtle Hate Massacres 
The Injustice
     and
The Criminally Mute Media

i sound accusatory
i sound bitter, i know
my mentor is my country;
barricades strung like fairy lights
outside my ancestral home
i think it would've broken
my grandfather's heart
if he'd lived to see this—
birth certificates tossed about
the protesters engulfed by the police
our religion a war crime

and

his world burning
his world burning
his world burning

i wrote this piece in light of the recent policies made in india, called the NRC and the CAB, which are heavily leaning against the Muslim citizens of india. i hate to draw comparisons like this, but the beginnings of it are very similar to the Nazi regime, and how they stripped the citizenship of the Jews. the CAB (Citizenship Amendment Bill) does exactly that.

the bill has been passed, and if follows through, more than 201 million Muslims will be displaced. this is singularly the worst thing to happen in a country with the second largest Muslim population in the world.

• Wicked!

Oh my god, this is so damn powerful. The third stanza is freaking brilliant. I love how you went about writing about the CAA through a personal lens.
    Also, I remember your comment on my piece about the CAA, about the lack of Indian protest poetry, and though that's pretty sad, there's some really good protest music out there that you might want to check out :)

• Dani A. Remlap

This is such a powerful piece. I remember hearing about the CAB. I’m sorry this is happening in your country

• aryelee

your writing is always so powerful and striking; you have a way of writing that gets right into the heart of the matter and makes everyone remember what you've said. you've made this both personal and universal and mixing past and current actions makes this so powerful.

the opening line really caught my attention, as did the lines: "the prime minister's gums / moving incomprehensibly / like the trains leading to auschwitz— / but we are not in germany / we are in india", "barricades strung like fairy lights / outside my ancestral home / i think it would've broken / my grandfather's heart / if he'd lived to see this".