PouringOutTheSun

Ireland

“In the darkness, two shadows, reaching through the hopeless heavy dusk. Their hands meet, and light spills in a flood, like a hundred golden urns pouring out the sun.” -Madeline Miller, “The Song Of Achilles.”

I had a dream like a week ago where I was asking my dream characters questions and they did *not* like that. They all got rather angry at me, actually. And here’s this now.

And There’s A Journey In Here Somewhere

15
Some rules:
  • ​Do not ask the dream characters where there eyes are.
Last time you did this, a shadow settled itself over your honey-coloured vision. The bystanders, they put on masks. The sky; it split open from the force of their malevolence.
  • Remember that most gods have permission to die by the side of country roads.
It’s hard to look, no? The golden blood veining out across the ground. The harsh breathing and the unholy twirl of their wrists. Do not clip their wings; the afterlife has too many cliffs to jump off.
  • You’ve got to remember that this may feel like heartache now, but these are the seeds of vengeance. They’ll hurt as first, as the sprouts burst from your skin, but soon they’ll lead you to the peak of that mountain.
”The mountain air is wildly sweet,” you murmur to yourself through wind-chapped lips. “It’s like a trap.” The moon rises luridly from below you. You take a breath and it tastes like sugar.
  • Some days, it will be hard to stop yourself from looking through the door at the other end of the hallway. Remind yourself that you are more than your own melancholy. Close your eyes. Take a step. 
I think that there will always be an echo of you in these hallways. That does not mean you are trapped here. Please, you have to remember that.
  • No matter how calloused your hands are, it will always hurt to touch stars. I know you are used to sticking your hands into fires to try and save the worst types of people, but that is not needed here. Understand that, and perhaps, some miraculous happenstance will take place.
Not everything around you makes sense and things did start off a little sinister; I will admit that, but it’s like the moon is softening itself out now. It’s like the masks are being lifted and underneath is a visage that could be worth saving. You lean forward out the doorway and your eyes open. The sky; it brightens.
This was such a pain to format; I have a killer headache.

• babybluelamentations

there’s something strangely beautiful about lists that I constantly find intriguing. This is a gorgeous example of how formatting can carry a piece many miles forward.
    I’m slightly confused, but i love it. Your imagery is stunning, and i am living for the dreamy, mythological vibe of your pieces.<3

• ThePaperSamurai

Dude this is gorgeous!!!
    I felt my soul get lost in your words as I read. I don't know how you do it, but dang!!!
    :D

• weirdo

this is so beautiful! i can’t function. i think i’m gonna cry. your descriptions are gorgeous, your writing style is astounding and just...wow,!

• Norah

Your writing is as always, a joy to read: rich, layered and complex. And this piece is kinda a fun experimental type of thing, I really like it!

• loveletterstosappho

this is so gorgeous it's driving me mad, how can your prose be so lyrical and unique? you have such a distinct writing style, i'm in love

i love this? your writing style is so so beautiful, flows so easily, and there are so many fantastic lines here that i can’t choose which to pick. one thing i noticed, though, is that there’s a typo in the second line, “there” should be “their”. excellent work!