Pigeon

- Member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
- ISFJ
- Lover of good books
- Lover of good music

I like detailed feedback because I'm serious about writing. (constructive criticism works great)

The Soul

The Appleton Palace was truly a place of grandeur. Sitting at the base of a dormant volcano, it had colossal crystal chandeliers, ranging sizes of stained glass, round topped walnut doors, and several marble balconies. The balconies were particularly fine. Their sides had been trimmed with immense detail, and the southern balcony overlooked the entirety of Heartland City, and further beyond, to the ocean. However, Detective Alcott reflected, the view certainly wasn’t very nice at the moment. In fact, it was rather nasty.
Hundreds, perhaps thousands, of formerly positive powered refugees, people and dragons, were pouring into the center of Heartland city, underfed, frightened, and weak. Detective Alcott surveyed them with distaste, but a little flicker of excitement stirred in his stomach. An entire half of the globe had suddenly shut down, it seemed. Or at least, that was what the Positives said. And Alcott definitely believed them.
A woman’s recount of the event surfaced in his mind. “I was minding my day as usual, see? And all of a sudden, the sky went dark, and - and red! A dirty copper-like red. Our Main island started to sink! I rushed all of my children to the top, like everyone else. But it has happened to our entire pole And my power - feeling optimism- it made me float! But it is gone now! And I don’t know where it went! And - And I don’t know what has happened to everyone else!” She had then burst into tears.
Detective Alcott had laughed at her, and had acted as if the news of the positive’s power disappearing, and the south pole sinking was of little importance or interest to him, and carried on with his day. But in reality it was quite intriguing - intriguing that it just happened to match with the research that he had been conducting for years prior; research concerning the mysterious glowing sphere powering the Negative people’s mainland - or in other words, the north side of the equator.
It had all started in the library. It was early in Alcotts ‘Chief of Detectives’ status, and he was eager to learn all that he could about The Northern Side, where he and the rest of the Negatives lived. He had been rifling through some of the more ancient texts in the library, and had discovered a hidden bookcase containing a single book.
Dusty, and covered in cobwebs, it had looked like it had been there for centuries. Interested, Alcott had pulled it out. It had been titled, The Soul of the Volcano. Smiling, Alcott had pulled it out. It looked like an ancient storybook, and as Alcott was very interested in things like antiques and stories, so he had taken it out and read it in spite of himself and his busy life. What he found had changed his life forever.
Alcott pulled an excerpt of the book out of his long corduroy coat, and put his reading glasses on. The page still thrilled him when he read it. It said,
Deep in the heart of the volcano of the Northern Mainland, parallel to to the Southern Mainland, the Negatively charged side of the world contains one deep secret. It possesses half of the world’s soul. The soul  is a very powerful magic artifact. Without it, the negative powers that people have, (Examples: Hands lighting on fire when one is angry, turning invisible when one is feeling nosy, and creating shields when one is afraid, all depending on the person) would not work and would be corrupted, possibly eradicated along with the entire negatively charged Northern half of the world. One with positive powers may not touch the soul - doing so would severely corrupt it. However, one with a negative emotion charged power could gain all the powers of the negative people, also known as ‘The Negatives’ and would become, therefore, incredibly powerful. Do not abuse this knowledge. It could cause vast damage, both to Negatives and Positives, who, by inference, probably have something similar to the soul. Instructions on how to use the soul will not be given to emphasize this point.
Detective Alcott grinned nastily to himself. Oh, it was no wonder this book was hidden, his team had discovered loads...“What’s that?” A familiar and obnoxious voice asked. Detective Alcott hastily pocketed the page. What the King didn’t know wouldn’t hurt him...and if it did, who cared?
“It’s nothing.” Detective Alcott said calmly. “Just a letter from my parents, concerning the onslaught of new refugees.” he said, looking up - well, down at the king. The king was about four feet tall, rather stout, and had a wispy white beard.
“Well, alright then.” the King said, looking rather disconcerted. Detective Alcott brushed his graying, but still brown hair out of his face.
The King walked out further onto the balcony. “What do you think of these refugees, Detective?” He said wearily. Alcott walked over disdainfully, and stared at the scene on the island below. “I think they are liars.” he said. “How could the Southern Half just ‘shut down’ like that? Or their powers disappearing? As if! It’s probably a plot to get the land.”
The King stroked his beard, looking worried, and Detective Alcott kept his impassive expression for a minute. “Do you really think so?” The King said hesitantly. Alcott nodded gravely. “I’ve seen it in history books and studies. Those positives, dim as they may seem, can be quite devious when they want to be.”
The King looked fearful, and looked over the edge. “But it’s not just men...there are women...and even children. Surely children wouldn’t be involved in some devious plot?” Detective Alcott shook his head darkly. “You never know.” he said.
“Whatever can we do then?” The King said, looking distressed. “We can’t send these people back without knowing for sure…”
“They will gobble up our food and resources. The dragons will crowd our skies.” Alcott said, flicking a speck of dust of his corduroy coat.
The King shook his head. “I won’t send a single person home until we verify your theory.” he said stubbornly. 
Detective Alcott hid a smile. This conversation was heading exactly where he wanted it to. “In that case, your Majesty, then it is probably best if you send my team and I to the Southern Half, where it has been, ah, claimed to have been broken.”
The King nodded, looking rather relieved. “I think that is our best alternative.” he conceded. “Excellent. My colleagues, Inferno, and I will get ready, and embark on our flight tomorrow morning.”
The King beamed. “You are certainly the most clever, reliable detective I have ever hired!” he said. Detective Alcott hid a smirk. Well, I’m certainly the most clever, clever enough to get your position when I’m through with this.
“Good day then, your Majesty.” he said.“Yes, yes - good day to you too, Alcott-Detective, I mean.” the King said distractedly, still staring at the scene below. Detective Alcott strutted inside the palace, made sure that the King was out of sight, and ran to the marble pole that could be used as an alternative route to the ground floor, and slid down it with expertise. 
After that, he walked smartly out the back door. “ Inferno! Are you out here?” he called. There was a pause. “You definitely should be. That’s where I told-asked you to be!” There was a pause, and a red dragon the size of a horse drawn carriage descended gracefully from the deserted, northern balcony.
“I was under the impression that we were supposed to be equal partners.” Inferno said, rather stiffly. “Shut up. I was only joking. I knew you were out here all along.” Detective Alcott lied. “Oh, well then. Did the persuasion go well?” Inferno said, warming up immediately.
Detective Alcott smiled. “You could say that.” he said. “We are going to embark first thing tomorrow morning, and fly to the Southern  Mainland.”
Inferno bit his forked tongue; it looked truly painful. “Why would we do that?” he said anxiously. Alcott shifted his feet. “I have...a theory that I need to test. It concerns the possibility of the other one, if you know what I mean. But all you need to know at the moment is that the King thinks that we are on a mission to see if the Positives are lying.”
Inferno chuckled. “That’s likely.” he said. Detective Alcott smirked, and hopped on Inferno’s back. “Take me you-know-where.” he demanded, a little too bossily. Inferno rolled his eyes, but then took off immediately.
At the top of the island, there rested a gigantic, dormant volcano. Detective Alcott had heard a few refugees express their fears about the possibility of it erupting, but he had just laughed. “Can’t be worse than your island sinking!” he had said rudely. Alcott felt vindictive pleasure just thinking about their shocked faces.
They took off towards the volcano, and once they reached the top, Inferno promptly threw Alcott off only yards from the crater. “Thanks.” Alcott said sarcastically, rubbing his head where a goose egg had appeared, but Inferno just laughed.
Together they walked down the narrow steps that were carved into the side of the crater. Alcott always felt vaguely nervous when walking down these; he didn’t have the desire to fall into a pit of magma.
About halfway down the stairs they turned left into a hollowed out cave. It was a large open space. All that was inside of it was a couple of books concerning the soul of the world, some dried food, and a roomy cage containing a gigantic ancient dragon - and Alcott’s colleagues, who were busy interrogating that annoyingly stubborn guardian of the soul whom they had trapped in the cage. Clement and Archibald were recording everything the dragon said, while Thomas, Victora, and Edna were asking the dragon questions, to which he was forcibly shaking his head.
“Good day.” Alcott said briskly. Edna gave him a nod, but other than that they ignored him. Alcott cleared his throat. “I said, good day.” A few rolled their eyes, and some pursed their lips, but they all responded. “Good Afternoon sir.” in unison.
“It’s morning, actually. I think it’s time all of you got a watch, especially you Archibald. You don’t seem to have a memory for this sort of thing - or any sort of thing, actually.” Archibald shot him a vemenous look, and Alcott raised his eyebrows, resisting a grin.
“I beg your pardon,” Thomas said. “But we are in the middle of an interrogation, and though you may be oblivious to it, it is rather serious business, and you ought not to disrupt.”
“Shame, just did.” They all glared at him. Edna looked down. Alcott had always suspected that she felt bad about interrogating the old dragon, but he didn’t really care.
“Is it alright if I have a word with our guest?” He said. They nodded, and walked out stonily. Alcott squatted by the dragon resting in the cage. “Hello there Fang.” he said quietly. “Having fun?” The dragon glared at him with yellow sharp eyes, and bared his teeth. “Are you ready to tell us how to control the soul? I sure hope so, because if you don’t then I shall have to take it to the positive side…I’ve heard that some interesting things have happened to their source of power...they certainly can’t use it anymore. Now, my team and I are going to the Southern side...figure out what happened to their soul. Do you really want our side of the world destroyed like theirs was? It could all be avoided if only you shared with us how to control the negative soul and its power.”
The Dragon had watched him with increasing amounts of horror. “Don’t do this.” he pleaded. “I implore you! Set me free and I can put things right!” Detective Alcott laughed softly. “I’ll let you go when this volcano blows. Now, if you’ll excuse me.”He turned to go, and the dragon muttered something inaudible. “Sorry, what was that?” Detective Alcott said cheerfully. “Greed will be your downfall.” the dragon said calmly, meeting his eyes with ones filled with fire. Detective Alcott scoffed, and turned away.
He walked out of the cave. “Time to get ready to go.” he said. “Go where?” said Edna, watching him with her beady black eyes. “Doesn’t matter, just pack everything you need for all weather, and all the food you will need for a month, and be ready tomorrow morning.”
Edna rolled her eyes irritably. “I’d better tell Tida. Are you going to bother to tell us why?” Detective Alcott grinned maliciously. “Nope.” Edna rolled her eyes. “Look, we know you just made a threat concerning the soul. We aren’t stupid.” She shrugged. “But if you want to be like that…”
Alcott shot her an annoyed glance. She was a good deal closer than he would have preferred. He rather enjoyed keeping all the secrets to himself, and he disliked it when others figured them out. It made him feel undermined.
He straightened his bowl hat. “If you will excuse me, Inferno and I need to go get ready for our ahem- voyage tomorrow.” Thomas gave a disbelieving snort. “I guess I should tell Mercury, then.” he said bitterly. “As I assume that we have little  choice in the matter.”
“You assume correctly then.” Alcott said. Thomas gritted his teeth, and walked back up. A woman working on the team, Victoria, looked at him spitefully, her dark eyes filled with reproach. Alcott shrugged. You aren’t required to have this job, you know. He thought.
Archibald followed them quickly, along with Clement, who was rather soft spoken, but disliked Alcott equally. Soon it was only him and Inferno. “That went well.” Inferno said, scratching an apparently itchy scale with his talon.
Alcott smirked. “They hate me.” he said. Inferno shrugged. “Yeah, there’s not really a question about it.” Alcott half laughed, half sighed. “Edna might not hate me as much.” he said hopefully. Inferno laughed. “Edna prefers Clement. Didn’t you know?” 
Alcott shrugged angrily. “Whatever. I don’t care.” He said irritably. “I totally believe that.” Inferno said, a teasing glint in his eye,“Now, are we going to go prepare for - as you say it - our - er - voyage?” Alcott spared Inferno a quick glare, before responding. “Yes, let’s.”
The next day everyone was ready. The dragon’s had agreed to carry the luggage along with their bonds. And in Tida the dragon’s case, Clement as well. Edna and Clement were grinning sappily at each while sitting on her. Perhaps that was why she looked so irritable. Alcott felt vaguely like putting a beetle in Clement’s sandwich; he wasn’t sure why.
Archibald was leaning against Coral the dragon, who was yawning; Alcott could see every one of her yellow teeth. She really needed them brushed. Mercury the dragon and Thomas looked equally grumpy. Wow! Mercury’s gloomy gray scales really adds to the effect....what a bunch of fools - especially Edna, for falling for Clement...
“Time to go.” Alcott said, smoothing his mustache needlessly, seeing as it was already perfect, like it always was. They took off. Bitterly cold wind swept past Alcott’s face, leaving it numb. 
Inferno shivered, his warm breath making clouds in the air, and Alcott felt an unexpected surge of rage. He then he realized that it was just Inferno’s anger causing breath being whipped in his face influencing his emotions. He decided to ignore the hate boiling in his stomach - well, he tried. It didn’t stop him from yelling at Victoria to stay in formation, or accidentally hitting Clement on the back of the head while giving Edna a disappointed look.
After a while, he finally halted in mid-air, and angrily told Inferno to keep his mouth shut while they were flying. The journey went much smoother after that, or at least Inferno was less angry.
“Would you mind telling us where we’re going?” screamed Edna after the third day of them traveling over plain ocean, and occasionally stopping to rest at islands. Cursing under his breath, Alcott gestured to them to slow down and stop at a nearby island.
“Well?” said a grumpy looking Clement, accompanied (to Alcott’s annoyance) by Edna. Alcott rolled his eyes, but he couldn’t think of a reason not to tell them. “Fine.” he snapped. “I told our buddy Fang that if he won’t tell us how to power the soul, then we will find out what happened to the Positive’s power and try out the same thing on ours.”
To his surprise, none seemed very pleased. Archibald stroked his goatee. Finally he said. “But we don’t want the same thing to happen to our pole…”
“Of course we don’t.” snapped Alcott. “But we need to know what happened to the south pole to make a believable threat.” Again, to his surprise, none seemed very happy. Thomas looked at the ground while old Archie scratched his neck, and Clement and Victoria avoided his gaze. Finally Edna spoke up. “Alcott...do you think it might be a good idea to give up this...idea? We are dealing with things that we don’t really know about. It could prove to result in a broken pole, and no powers. Now that I think of it, it could easily result in the same way that the positive’s did…”
Alcott scowled. “Well, either way, we need to know what actually happened to the positive’s source of power so we can avoid the same happening to ours.” Inferno gave him a dragonish grin of encouragement from beside him.
None of them objected to this, so they kept flying. They were closer than ever to the equator. When it was time to go to their final rest island, they quickly descended; they were all exhausted, especially Tida, who had been carrying Clement as well. Alcott, in all of his tiredness, felt the sudden urge to place a scorpion in Clement’s sleeping bag, which he reluctantly ignored.
That night, dinner was stale cheese and egg sandwiches. They were stale and gross, and smelled faintly moldy. Nobody enjoyed them much, especially Clement, who had found a large beetle in his.
It was close to dawn when Alcott woke up. He yawned and opened his eyes. The sky was a radiant mix of pale salmon and peach. Even Alcott, who wasn’t one to appreciate natural beauty, acknowledged how nice it was.
He noticed Thomas, who had been keeping vigil, walking towards him with a worried expression. Oh great. What now? Alcott thought irritably. “Yes Thomas?” he said aggressively. Inferno stirred sleepily beside him. Alcott hesitated; Inferno was a light sleeper. “Keep your voice down or you’ll wake everyone up.” Thomas hissed angrily. “I wanted to show you something...I think we are almost there - you know, to the equator.
Alcott perked up, his good mood returning after three days of a bad one almost instantly. “Lead the way.” he said promptly. Thomas rolled his eyes, but they walked a couple of yards to the edge of the island.
That.” Thomas said grimly, pointing his finger out at the horizon opposite to the sunrise. Thick dark clouds had piled all the way from the ocean surface to the top of the atmosphere. “Hmmm… that doesn’t look too good.” said Alcott nervously. “Could it be a storm?”
“I don’t think so...It isn’t moving. And I do say, look at that!” Alcott turned sharply to look at whatever Thomas was pointing at. And then he saw it too. In the dark wall of cloudy substance, was a large archway cutting straight through the mist. It looked dark and foreboding. 
“How...intriguing.” Alcott said, though in reality, it looked nothing of the sort. It made him feel more like running away than exploring. “I suppose we’d better check it out.” he added as an afterthought. “Yeah, suppose so.” Thomas said.
They woke the others up. “It’s the crack of dawn,” said Victoria forcefully, her heavy eyelids fluttering angrily. “I refuse to go anywhere!” She said. However, when Thomas told her that they found the south side, she was considerably more cooperative. Alcott was beginning to feel that he had little control over his crew.
Inferno was not happy to get up, nor was Tida, Mercury, or Coral. “You realize the toll this has been taking on the dragons?” said Inferno, half jokingly, half seriously. Alcott responded, “You’re building more muscle - more muscle means more ladies.” Inferno shrugged tiredly.
And so, exhausted, hungry, and irritable, they began their journey once more. They only had a couple of miles before reaching the wall of gray clouds. Silence fell. Alcott thought that the hole in the wall of smoke looked a bit like a mouth, ready to swallow them up. He shivered.
“How about you scout, Thomas - with Clement?” he said, but Thomas gave him such a heavy glare that he decided against it. “Never mind, I’ll go inside...all by myself. Inferno, I guess you can wait here...” Edna rolled her eyes. “Don’t be stupid. We’ll all go in. And why leave Inferno out? We need to fly all the way to the south pole anyways!”
Alcott went pink, but felt rather pleased with himself all the same. They all, one by one, flew into the mouth like tunnel of mist. Alcott felt a chill settle on his bones. They sky, instead of being a bright salmon, was now a dark, almost dirty red. Little tips of land were scattered about. Alcott knew that they were what remained of islands.
They flew for several more days, almost in complete silence. Alcott broke it once by saying, “I think we’ll need to fly to the center...probably where the power source is.” No one disagreed.
Soon enough, they reached what Alcott’s map said was the mainland, but it didn’t look a thing like it did on the map. There was only a few hundred feet of land left with a great gaping hole in the center, and all the vegetation on it looked dark and gloomy. They descended. Alcott was so tired, there seemed to be a buzzing sound in his ears. It was then that Alcott noticed that the rock jutting out of the tip of the island was rather unusual.
“Hey guys, look at the shape of this rock - it looks exactly like the face of a dragon, with its jaws open wide into the air.” he said , inspecting the rock next to a very tired looking Inferno.
“Yeah, suppose it does.” grunted Thomas sleepily, almost asleep on Mercury’s back, who was asleep. Alcott scowled. “Well isn’t this supposed to be the tip of the main island? Our volcano that contains the soul - assuming the dragon will tell us where it is in the volcano. I bet this is the same thing.”
The group’s attention sharpened. “Well it’s about time.” Victoria Commented. Alcott ignored her, and jumped into the water. He shuddered - it was icy cold. He swam over to the dragon head shaped rock. It’s jaws were open wide, and he looked down the mouth. It looked like a deep dark tunnel. “The dragons wouldn’t fit in there,” he muttered, almost to himself.
“You don’t want to go in there?” said Clement, Edna nodding vigorously at his side. “Of course I do. It’s our next step to finding out what happened to the positive’s power source - or as the King thinks, to see if they are going to overtake our island.” He snickered, but no one else did. They looked somber, even guilty.
What a bunch of cowards. He thought irritably, and said out loud. “Come here Clement. “Why?” said Clement, sounding suspicious. And for good reason too… “Because Clement, I’m your boss, and can fire you whenever I want to.”
Clement grumbled, and walked over to the dragon’s upright jaws. Calmly and deliberately, Alcott shoved him into the mouth of the dragon, and Clement tumbled out of sight, yelling all the way down. After a few seconds, Alcott heard a thump and an “Ow!”
“Good.” Alcott said, satisfied. “It is not good!” Edna yelled. “You could have killed him!” Alcott shrugged, and turned to Inferno. “If we aren’t back in three days time, send the rest of the food and get us out with the rope.”
“Okay.” said Inferno nervously. “Three days!” scoffed Victoria. “Send food sooner then that - Coral!”
Coral sniffed and said. “I’m nobody’s servant, and I will do what I want.” Victoria sighed, and one by one, they jumped into the hole. Archibald fell on Victoria who fell on Edna who fell on Thomas who fell on Alcott who fell on Clement. “Oops!” Alcott laughed. “Bad luck, Clement!”
Clement cursed under his breath, and they stood up. Alcott struck a match and filled his lantern with light. They were on a stone platform surrounded by swamp water, and the majority of their light came from the dragon’s mouth up above. There was another ring of stone surrounding the swamp.
“Cool place.” Thomas said. None of them answered him, but Victoria gave him a soppy smile, and Alcott mimed vomiting into the nasty swamp water. That took her smile away, much to Alcott’s satisfaction.
“Who dares enter this cave?” a gravelly voice said from the shadows. They jumped. “Who’s there?” Thomas said nervously. “I am here.” the voice snarled. “This is my home. Perhaps you don’t want to know what happened to my last trespassers.” The menace in the growl was clear. A gigantic dragon, bigger than Inferno, stepped out of the shadows. It was the spitting image of Fang, but a cloudy gray instead of black, and its eyes were pink, not yellow. It also looked older and wearier. Quite an accomplishment...since Fang is such a downer.
“More thieves trying to steal the soul?” the dragon growled. “I’m more prepared this time, I’m warning you! I may have been blinded, but I can see right through you.” He sounded slightly delusional, and Alcott perked up. Did he say soul? I think I’m onto something...
Alcott put his finger to his lips, and they remained silent, allowing him to hear more. “The soul is broken, you hear me?” the dragon shouted, swinging its great head from left to right. “All of the other horrible thieves broke it and the rest of this pole! So leave me alone and go AWAY!” His voice rang through the cave.
Slowly and carefully, Alcott drew a knife from his pocket. This dragon would be easy to manipulate compared to Fang. Stealthy as a cat, he hopped from the center stone to the side where the dragon was.
He had studied dragon’s anatomy for three years in the ancient library, and he now knew how to kill them. Carefully, he slid the knife next to the vital spot that most didn’t know about. The dragon froze, trembling.
“Don’t do it Alcott!” Edna suddenly shouted. Alcott glared at her, and then looked back at the dragon. “Tell me how to use the soul of negativity and I will set you free.” he whispered in the dragon’s ear. The dragon cowered instantly, like Alcott knew that he would.
“Spare me!” he whimpered. Alcott laughed. “Tell me how to use it.” he said. “You must know. You gave your secrets too freely. You probably thought I had no ideas about the power sources. Well guess what? I’m smart! The poles are symmetrical, and I can add things together. My theory was correct! You do have a soul too! Now TELL ME HOW TO USE IT!”
The dragon flinched. Alcott had never felt so great. He had been right all along! He had discovered the mainland and the other soul, and soon the power would be his. He laughed maniacally. 
The dragon spoke slowly. “I cannot tell you how to use the negative soul, I only know how to work the positive one.” Alcott shrugged. “Basically the same thing,” he muttered. At these words, the dragon whipped his tail in irritation.
“Take that knife away from me, and I will show you the remains of the positive soul.” the dragon said. Alcott hesitated, and then took away the knife. The dragon shuffled away and came back with a few glowing shards of what looked like an orb. It clearly radiated power, even though it was broken. Alcott dropped his knife and stared at it. He had never seen anything so beautiful. He wanted it.
Mine.” Alcott hissed, lunging for it. He no longer cared about the other soul, he wanted to have this one all to himself. The power. The dragon knocked him away easily and he fell in the disgusting swamp water, spluttering. “You think I would let my guard down and spill my secrets if I didn’t think I could handle you?” the dragon roared. “I learned my lesson from the other ones! You will get the same consequence as they did! Your greed will be your downfall!”
The dragon’s words rang in the air. They seemed the echo. And then he realized that the words were being chanted. “Your greed will be your downfall...Your greed will be your downfall…
“What is this?” Alcott said sharply, and then he saw a charcoal colored head with glowing red eyes approaching him in the water. “You have brought this upon yourself.” the dragon said sadly. “Your greed will be your downfall…” “I had nothing to do with it. You can’t touch an oppositely powered soul - or even try, without consequences.”
Many more heads appeared in the water, all with wrinkled arms and claw-like fingers. They were all coming for Alcott. “No!” he screamed as on grabbed his arm. “NOOOO!” Something changed. Alcott was shrinking, his eyes turned red, his skin to charcoal. “Your greed will be your downfall.” he hissed along with the others. Their task was done, and they had gained another in their numbers.
He waded back into the swamp with the others, who had now stopped chanting, unaware of the humans watching him in horror from the island. The Guardian would deal with them - he always did, and he neither knew nor cared what would happen to the humans…

Inferno waited anxiously by the opening, it had been quite some time. A gigantic gray dragon suddenly hurtled out of the hole, and Inferno yelped in surprise. The dragon was carrying all of his friends, which was even more surprising. They looked quite dazed.
Inferno watched them startled. Where was Alcott? He craned his neck, and the dragon suddenly turned to him. Inferno felt a wonderful calm wash over him. “You have never been here.” The dragon said calmly. “You will forget this the moment you cross the equator.” Inferno nodded, mesmerized along with all of the others. “There are no positive powers on the south side, there never has been. There is no one called Alcott. You will tell this to your King. He will believe you.” The dragon said firmly. Something stirred in the back of Inferno’s brain, a word of some sort...something important. Was it Apricot? Or perhaps Blot?, but all he said was, “Yes...whatever you - you say…That sounds right...” and his memory was wiped blissfully clean. There was no such thing as the Positives, only the Negatives. And that was the way it always had been.