Weston Heitkamp

The French Exam that Started it All

The dark sky was piercing. There must have been less pollution in 1944. It’s hard to believe, only three months earlier, I was given the French exam that started all this. I had always struggled with learning new things. I took French in hope that my French heritage could help.
Madame Beaumont informed us that we would have our exam on Monday, March 6. It feels like a cursed day now. Madame had requested to see me on Friday the week before our exam.
“Now Owen,” she started loosely while I looked off into space thinking about my name. Owen. One of the most generic names possible. The thirty-first most common name in 2002.
“Owen!” This time not so loosely. I snapped out of my daze.
“Sorry, madame, I...umm..”
“You probably noticed that your grade is dropping,” I hadn’t, “I hope you understand that you will need to do well on the exam coming up to pass.” She continued to speak despite me dozing off. 
Eventually, I stood up, pushed my chair in and began to leave when she barked at me once more.
“Make sure you study.” I do wish I had studied.
Later that night, I had determined that pizza and video games would be far more important. I had waited for the weekend since Monday. I had an entire week to study. Then it was 6, 5, 4, 3, 2. I was having dinner on Sunday, not particularly hungry. Celina, carefully eyeballed me as I picked at my food.
“Something on your mind, Owen.” That’s when I realized. I had completely forgotten to study. I felt heavy all over.
“Umm...I’ve...gotta go.” I picked up my aching body leaving my plate on my table.
My phone was at 16%, I plugged it instantly right next to the framed photo of my great-grandfather who had died back in World-War-Two. He died after his plane was shot down, he survived the initial impact.
I went to my podcasts. My friends joked about “the podcast witch-doctor” who claimed that she could teach you while you slept. I figured it was the best I could do at that point. It was getting pretty late and it was getting hard for me to focus.
After going through all of her podcasts, I found one for French. The description said this in a cryptic font,
This six-hour sleep meditation is for instances French abilities. WARNING: This meditation method is powerful and can result in one of the following insomnia, ringing ears, French-speaking, loss of appetite, and time-travel.
Ha, I thought. Time-travel, that’s pretty funny, and being able to speak French non-stop. This “Witch-Doctor” must be crazy. I grabbed my headphones and started the podcast.
When I woke up, my ears were ringing. I heard gibberish in my ears that I was guessing was French or something. I opened my eyes but my vision was blurry. I was soaking in the summer sun. Wait a second. Isn’t it supposed to be March?
I’m not sure what scared me more. The fact that it was mid-summer or the roaring planes and loud explosions overhead. I stood up slowly and surveyed the area. I was on a beach surrounded by several army men speaking in a language that took a second for me to understand. IT WAS FRENCH! I thought back to the witch-doctor podcast. Time travel. Had I traveled back in time? Through scattered conversation, I heard June 6th, 1944 and Normandy. This is stuff I had heard very recently, or I guess technically in the future. I tried to remember my history class. Between my spurts of sleep, I figured that this was D-Day. I ran through the calculations in my head. I had gone back twenty-seven thousand three hundred one day. That is a lot of time. Then a thought scared me. Could I go back to my current time? I shook the thought aside. The fact is that I had been transported back almost 75 years!
The battle continued as planes flew overhead and were shot down and other planes dropped weaponry. War in every direction. I could hear myself breathing until it was muted out by something overhead. It was a plane. Falling in my direction. The plane collided into the sand where I was standing seconds ago. I couldn’t even hear it over the rest of the blare. Then I saw someone who I recognized. Crawling out of the rubble of the plane, was my great-grandfather. I recognized him from the frame on my bedside table. We locked eyes, and there was something worth fighting for.
I calmed myself to sleep because when I awoke this time, I didn’t open my eyes. The fear of being on a beach surrounded by nine thousand dead men was terrifying. The stress got to me and I opened my eyes. I took a second to enjoy the recognizableness of my room. I rolled over to unplug my phone. There was no photo of my great-grandfather.
I did my morning routine while my mind raced about the eerie dream or experience of whatever it was. My mind was also filled with the photo.
I noticed the first thing while I was walking down the stairs. There was a picture of a wrinkled old man in our family picture on the wall. It had scared me but nothing like what would happen when I walked into the kitchen. The wrinkled old man stood in my kitchen. “Ahh. Owen. We have to wait for you for breakfast. Sit down. You must be hungry.” That’s when I understood what had happened. The wrinkled old man was my great-grandfather, and if he was my great-grandfather, then my ordeal could not have been a dream, could it? I sat on the couch and was about to turn on the T.V. when he called me over. “I would like to thank you for back in 1944.” He gave me a wink, and I smiled back at him.

1