Kat Sparks

An almost-adult from snow and sun country. Doesn't feel like growing up anytime soon or staying the same age forever, though.

Insanity is just another word for 'eccentric genius'. A saying that I live by which lets me write as much in whatever genre I want however I want to.

But Where's That End Up?

PROMPT: Borrowing Voice

0
"So now where to?"
"Back into the bigger story of the world. Going there, I suppose, would be fun."
"But where's that end up?"
"Who knows? Not I."
Angeline sat up to look at Joanna. She looked and stared and watched her best friend since birth and, if she turned her head the right way and squinted her eyes to block out everything else enough, she could see right through her, through to the dark green grass and the daisies they had both heartlessly crushed by treading on their land. And if she looked harder, in the right rays of the sun shining down on them, she thought she could see her friend's innermost workings. Only for a second, though. Only a second.
"But what if you end up there and don't like it?"
"Then I suppose I'll just have to deal then, shan't I?" Joanna lifted a hand, tracing the infinite possibilites she saw in each subsection of a cloud floating above her.
"But what if you can't?" Angeline repeated, exasperated at the lack of a definite response that she was getting. Then again, Joanna had always been like this. Free and floating like the clouds she was admiring. Her very being looked similar to them. Light hair lifted by a small wind, light but bright eyes focused on a world that only she could see, sunrays themselves appearing to shine through her pale skin and white shift to brighten her surroundings. Angeline was awakened from her reverie by Joanna's voice, as good-natured and insubstantial as she was.
"Why don't we go and have a look-see then?"
"What, now?" Angeline looked behind them to see a large, black gaping hole, the maw of a hungry animal. It didn't look all that reassuring, she thought to herself as she pondered the mass. But no, there was no mass.
But how could something exist without having mass, her rationality whispered from the back of her mind. How? Angeline wondered, turning to lay on her stomach, her chin resting on her arms. She closed her eyes.
She could just barely hear her surroundings; a light spring breeze rustling through the flowers, the whirr of the mass in the sky, the ever-so faint screaming in the background.
How could Joanna have so much faith? How could she be friends with her? With someone so very, very different from herself? She, Angeline, with her hair and eyes the color of the mass in the sky? She, with her dark skin, flushed with fluid life. She, Angeline, with her thick limbs, strengthened by year of tennis and fencing and whatever else she could get her hand on?
Angeline opened her eyes once more to see Joanna standing and stretching, her shift flying in the breeze. She watched as her friend since birth strode towards the hole in the sky, with each step, growing more and more flimsy in her being. She watched as Joanna, little sprite she was, turned back one last time to smile back, only the barest outline of a skeleton now, her jawbone skittering. She closed her eyes as Joanna and the mass dissipated as the motion around her completely stopped, leaving the meadow similar to a graveyard.
She really should have known better than to try and reason with Joanna. Ghosts never listen.

First line ("Back into the bigger story of the world") used from the short story the Universal Soldier by Charles de Lint in the short story collection Halloween edited by Paula Guran.