Dmoral

est. 2018
she/her | junior
semi active; chaotic life.
published writer + classics enthusiast.
obsessed with name titled poetry & songs.

i'm known for my long freakin' comments and highlight crazy reviews, but like seriously? life's been to crazy y'all, so bear with me, please.

___
p.s
if i call you "love" or "lovely" that's just how i talk, so don't freak out lol

Coincidence? Fate?

10
Coincidence?
That's what you think, you free-willed strong-headed nonbeliever of fate.
"I haven't seen you since we were kids," you laugh, taking me in.
My face no longer round and pudgy in the cheeks, my jawbone more defined and my nose more petite. I can tell by the surprise in your eyes that you notice the weight I lost, even though I was never really fat, I use to be thick. My legs are longer and there's less of my thighs, making it so I fit in these skinny jeans just right. My hips are curvy and my breasts bigger, it seems I've grown into the woman you never really thought I'd become. My stomach is flatter and there's a piercing in my belly button, meaning I like the way I look in crop tops, and you make note that I no longer tug my shirt down.
"You look so different," I smile, and it's true. 
Just as I have, you look quite different too. It seems you know what a haircut is, after all, your hair is much shorter now, but still that cocoa brown. Your face has stubbles of hair on your chin, it seems like you haven't shaved in a couple of days. Your face has thinned out too, just as mine did. But what I notice most is the way your chest changed, no longer skinny frail glasses kid, now you have muscles in places I could never see you with before. And your glasses are gone.
"You too," you murmur, holding out your hand. "Perhaps we get hot chocolate to celebrate this coincidence?"
Smiling, I nod, trying to ignore the way your touch still makes me go numb and how there are butterflies in my stomach.
You still remembered that I hated coffee.
So we walked to that cafe we went to when we were still in high school, the only thing different about the place was us. We sat across the booth from each other, still not sure exactly who we were to each other anymore nor comfortable enough to do as we use to and sit next to each other. Our lives without each other started to circulate through conversation, hinting about all the times we missed each other and mentioning all the memories we use to share.
And through it all, you'd constantly repeat, "Funny how we just ran into each other on the street." Like, you couldn't quite believe it was a coincidence.

Fate?
Ever since I met you, I was convinced we were meant to be. I was a hopeless romantic with my eyes constantly on the stars, waiting for destiny to help me decipher the puzzle of coincidence.
"No coincidence," I whisper, as I follow you out of the cafe.
You're bouncing on your feet as you walk, excited that we finally had a chance to meet up-even if we didn't plan it. And though I'll follow you 'till the end of the world, there's a sick feeling in my heart that just won't give in. Even though I believe in fate, this just doesn't make sense. If we were meant to be, why would it take so long for us to see each other again? Or why wouldn't we already, just be?
"Do you still hang out with any of our old friends?" I ask, unsure of what to do or where to go. All I know is I don't want to let go.
"Uhm, a few. Like, I'm still best friends with Matt and Lydia invited me to her wedding last month."
It seems like your friendship with them was meant to be, but what about us? What about me?
Suddenly it seems like doubt takes hold, and my hand no longer feels numb or warm against your touch. Instead, my whole body drops below freezing, and yet I'm holding back burning tears threatening to roll down to my chin. 
Instantly you recognize what's happening, easily remembering my anxiety and old habitats. Quickly, you pull me in for a hug, and whisper against my ear, "I won't ever let you go again. I don't know what happened the first time, but I won't lose you ever again."
And through it all, I felt as ease and kept thinking, we're back together again. Like, I couldn't quite believe it was fate at play, because if it was, we would've never lost each other in the end.
Finished: 11/12/19

1

• Wisp

Ursa here trying to beat me at the comment game I see [I’m kidding I’m kidding. She’s a darling and I’ve (intentionally) stumbled upon her profile more than once in the nights where I feel like my heart is about to burst]
    But anywho, I love how this piece just fits, you know? Like everything fits well with each other, carefully tying into one another. Like the coincidence and fate thing, they just made sense and it was so well put. The ending was so heartfelt and lovely and it was just so beautiful. And Ursa’s right, the rhymes at the beginning just make the whole thing feel so much more amazing, like everything was all carefully planned out.

• Harlow

Thanks for entering the contest!
    (sorry if this one's lazy. I'm a little sick)

• aditi

aww this is so sweet! I absolutely <3 it!

• Ursa

Owie, I got a boo-boo on my heart.

Were those little rhymes you did at the beginning of paragraphs intentional? They worked so well, and usually when there are rhymes added in to a non-rhyming piece they kinda stand out and don't really flow, but these fit right in without even trying.

Okay, now cut to my favorite sentences (although I'll have take some out because there are so many).

"So we walked to that cafe we went to when we were still in high school, the only thing different about the place was us." I'm not sure how, but this sentence totally gave me the tone of the meeting, without even describing the ways the cafe had stayed the same and comparing them to how the people hadn't, it summed it up just like that.
    "It seems like your friendship with them was meant to be, but what about us? What about me?" This one doesn't just have that lovely rhyme, but also shows me the pain and confusion this character is going through.
    "Suddenly it seems like doubt takes hold, and my hand no longer feels numb or warm against your touch. Instead, my whole body drops below freezing, and yet I'm holding back burning tears threatening to roll down to my chin." I now realize that this is the section right after my previous favorite sentence.
    This part really brought the piece to an apex moment. All that confusion and pain and nostalgia and anxiety coming together with these feelings that I could understand at the moment of reading.

I can't say I've been through this exact scenario with anyone, but I now feel like I have. I can point at places and be like, "yeah it felt like this when that thing happened." So I guess what I've been trying to say with this whole comment is that the emotions in this piece are so real, so relatable, and that is definitely your strength in writing. You could have the most abstract concepts and ideas, but if you put feelings and emotion into it, we will all be like "yeah, been there."

THAT BEING SAID
    I was a bit confused when you said "you laugh, taking me in." Is that like, for a hug? Into a house? Or am I missing some sort of figurative language here?
    Also, I while really liked the section ""You look so different," I smile, and it's true.
    Just as I have, you look quite different too." I originally thought that the "you" character had been the one speaking, not her, so I had to do a quick reread when I got to the next spoken line. Consider clearing that up a bit.

Alright, well, I probably should've just written up a review, but here I am, at the bottom of an absurdly long comment. Good work, and happy writing!

Omg. That was kinda sad, but adorable! I loved it! <3