fabel

biobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobiobioboi

I’m in the Dark

Where the hell is he going?
I could never understand him, my best friend. Kier had always been a weirdo, even back in middle school. Middle school. The good old days. Now Kier and I are in our mid-twenties and paying bills, which definitely sucks. At least we’re roommates. That makes my hectic college days more tolerable, at least.
    But really, where is he going? It’s almost 3 AM. I’d heard him sneaking out of our small apartment on more than one occasion. In fact, I think it’s become a habit of his. The older we get, the weirder he acts. He’s even changed up his look. He looks disheveled and not quite right, but whatever. I’m used to it. 
    Right now, I’m following him down and around the city, through all sorts of alleyways I’ve never even noticed. I’m keeping about a half-block behind him because he’s the type to get mad if he finds out I’m here. Hell, once he almost started a fight with me when I followed him once-for a prank by the way-in high school. It wasn’t fun.
    He keeps going on this odd route, as if he knows it better than anything. It’s dark and kinda damp tonight, and it gets creepier with every turn I take. But I’m not gonna let that get to me now, when I’ve kept up with Kier for this long. No. I’m not going back now -- not that I could; I think I’m lost. Plus I have to find out where he’s going in the middle of the night, and almost twice a month at that!
    My curiosity’s led me to conjure up some pretty weird theories about where he’s been going. A drug deal? Some underground rave? A cult meeting? Whatever it is, I’m dying to know. I haven’t talked to Kier about his sneakiness because I know him. He gets really defensive. But I wonder, what’s he hiding to be defensive about? I’ll find out. It’s better for both of us if I know.
    We’ve been walking for a really long time now. I wish I would’ve been smart enough to bring my phone, or at least a watch. You’d think a middle-of-the-night secret mission would’ve been more well thought-out. Hmph. Too bad.
    I think the farther we go from the apartment, the creepier this city is getting. That isn’t really something to be surprised about, but this creepiness feels… different? But what do I know? I’m just a dumb college student following his friend around for kicks.
    Kier is slowing down, I think. I’m definitely glad. My feet are killing me. And I’m thirsty. Not to mention how tired I am. I should’ve taken a nap before venturing out and becoming a stalker. It’s fine. I hope we can go home soon, because I’m totally and completely lost. Good going, me.
    Yeah, he’s definitely going slower. I bet his destination is somewhere close. I can barely keep my curiosity at bay at this point. What the hell is he doing in some weird part of the city in the middle of the night!?  I get the feeling I’m about to find out. It’s not necessarily a good feeling. Maybe a little guilt, and excitement, and what, dread? I don’t know. It’s fine.
I should be at home right now. In bed. What am doing here?  I’m sure Kier has his reasons for doing what he does, being so disjointed from the world. It’s not my business, is it? Maybe following Kier was a mistake, but I don’t have time for regrets right now, not when I’m this close.  
    He stopped. Finally. I’m behind a dumpster maybe, what, 30 feet from him? I think I can hear other people coming from different directions. I can hear them coming close. I peak my head around the corner of the dumpster to see three other guys talking to Kier. They look weird. Kinda like him! They’re wearing all black though, unlike him. I hear one last member of the group arrive. They’re all talking quietly. I can’t tell what they’re saying. One guy is pulling some objects out of his backpack, but once again, I can’t see. He’s putting them on the ground, and the group starts saying some stuff, in unison.
Something’s happening. Something weird. 
What’s happening? Where’s that light coming from?
I don't know what I’m looking at...
What  the ****?

1