Ursa

Artist of movement, words, sound
Manipulator of motors, minds, morals

Rational ranting, ordered chaos, loud silence.

Since 2017

#blackandwhite COMPETITION RESULTS

4
    Hey there! Thank you all for participating in my competition, #blackandwhite, and I hope ya'll had as much fun writing your pieces as I did reading them, because, wow, never have I seen so many typos wrapped up in such few paragraphs. How utterly entertaining.

Now, down to business.

In third place:

Forgotten by Wicked!
    "But that hole will lie forgotten, by the unhappy girl who had basically everything, as well as the happy girl who had basically nothing."

When I first read this, I did not think it would make the top three. I thought the contrast was weak and the subtlety went completely over my head. But when I reread it, I realized its genius, and how beautifully opposing it was; two girls, two lives, and yet worlds apart. I don't think any of the pieces displayed such poetic opposition as this one.
    Prize: One review on a piece of Wicked!'s choice, one comment on a piece of my choice.

In second place:
    We Weren't Cliche Enough to Work by Dmoral13
    "Just as my Father did, I left the love of my life in ruins, just for a different reason."
    I hate to admit it, but I am a bit of a sucker for a good romance. The amount of complexity that can be characterized in a well-told love story ... well, Dmoral13 shows how well it can be pulled off. The contrast is between two people, drawn together then forced apart. It is so painful and real, and there is something to be said about the struggle of trying to hold someone else's life together and ending up losing your own and them in the process.
    Prize: Two reviews on two pieces of Dmoral13's choice, two comments on two pieces of my choice.

In first place:
    always and forever by _blue
    "Maybe it doesn’t seem impossible from where you’re standing. If you already love yourself, it’s a hop, skip, and a jump onto Self-Love Lane, and you’re where you need to be in your beautiful fenced front yard with lush, perfectly trimmed, healthy grass."
    This piece took me on a roadtrip through the internal struggle of someone raised in the horror that is a bad childhood. blue never ceases to amaze me at her ability to write about the scars on the inside; the confusing, complicated pain of emotional trauma. Not only does she display clear, concise images in a completely matter-of-fact fashion (read: Self-Love Lane and Self-Hate Highway) but the way the piece is framed is magnificent. Starting with a very simplistic outward image that is perfect and lovely, delving into a complicated, deep backstory, and resurfacing with that same simple image and a different undertone.
    Prize: Three reviews of three pieces of _blue's choice, three comments on three pieces of my choice.

Honorable Mention:
    God's Brother, the Red One by Upsidownpenguin
    "Brother
    I curse you,
    For now and forever
    You will die
    And be outcast
    Forever
    Over and over-
    -Again and again"

Winners, please put the pieces you wish to be reviewed in the comments.

• Upsidownpenguin

I'm so honored to get a mention for my piece! Thanks ursa!

• Dmoral

I'm so glad you loved my piece! It was mess and after spending days working on it, I was like, "well here goes nothing". For my reviews, could you please review my entry 'We Weren't Cliche Enough to Work'?
    Also, could you please review 'we're never really more than words'?
    I know you already saw these pieces and enjoyed them, but I'm hoping when you reread it and look through a critics eye you'll see errors and changes I could make. Please and thank you! <3
    P.S
    Amazing contest! I loved it!

• Wicked!

Thanks for the placing! I'd love to have 'in and out of the clouds' reviewed.