Fenley Jones

​Auntie Ellen's Fortune

Jayden Flores looked at his small office and glass desk in the center, feeling nervous and anxious. He looked over at the wall of windows and examined his mountainous surroundings. He had always loved cold Winter Haven with its beautiful snowy surroundings. It was the place he grew up and the place that all of his family lived. But since the death of his Auntie Ellen, his thoughts and feelings had changed. 
       Then out the window, he saw someone in the distance. It was the figure of Alex Norris. Alex used to be a friendly man, who his Aunt chose to manage her fortune when she died. But ever since she died, Alex refused to pay him and his relatives the 986,300 dollars they all were entitled to. Lex had unofficially stepped up to manage Alex giving the family members their money. This was because Alex kept coming back to the family members with ‘counter-offers’, leaving the family unhappy and mad.
       Jayden gulped. He glanced at his own reflection in the glass walls of the newspaper office. Jayden was a short, anxious, pale-skinned lemonade drinker with newspaper reading hands. His friends saw him as a lonely and a little loving. Once, he had even revived a dying baby.
       But not even a pale-skinned lemonade drinker that had revived a dying baby was prepared for what Alex had in store for him today. As the snow flurried like raging cats, Alex continued walking toward the glass newspaper office. Jayden stepped outside as Alex came closer, Lex could see the cool glint in his eye.
      "Look, Jayden," growled Alex, with a frustrated glare that reminded Jayden of an unhappy puppy. "I hate you and I want your family’s money.” Jayden replied, “You owe me and everyone else in my family 986,300 dollars each!"
      Jayden looked away, feeling even more anxious, afraid of dropping the coffee mug in his hands, because of his numb fingers. Jayden looked back at Alex, speaking almost in a whisper, and said, "Alex, just give me the money, NOW, and our family will never bother you again.”
      They looked at each other with hatred, then suddenly, Alex lunged forward and tried to punch Jayden in the face. Quickly, Jayden threw the coffee mug at Alex, which didn’t break until it hit the ground, but spilled coffee that froze almost instantly after it came out of the mug all over Alex’s jacket. Alex's arms and hands trembled as he realized what he had done to Jayden’s family. He looked maddeningly at Jayden, feeling empty, as he let out an agonizing groan as he turned away and said quietly, “You and your family will find the money in your bank accounts and the children will both receive a check addressed to them under conditions for a savings account."
      He slowly walked away looking frail, leaving Lex standing alone in the snow. Lex then went back inside to get a broom, came back out then began sweeping up the broken pieces of the mug before they were buried by the quickly falling snow.
     As Jayden Flores was driving home suspected something was a little off when he noticed his usually well-put-together girlfriend walking on the side of the road. He couldn’t believe that she would be walking home in the sub-zero temperatures. He invited her into the car and found out that his wife was acting snobby and devilish. His girlfriend bent over and tried to bite him on his leg.
      Nevertheless, he continued driving, for the road was icy and required his full attention. It wasn't until the car almost hit a tree that his girlfriend, Maria Desdemona, pulled a fork out of her pocket and began stabbing the windshield. 
       When they got home Jayden got a phone call from his girlfriend’s work stating: [ALERT! TODAY building 10943 Green Street, NK was GASSED by an unknown terrorist group. Those who have been affected may have altered personalities and should be rushed to the hospital immediately. Financial compensation will be given to the affected individuals after recovery. Paid for by government office 2054436 Winter Haven, Nebraska.]
       They spent the night trying to drive up the icy hill to the hospital.