Araw

Writers block is a plague and I'm infected. Hi, I'm Araw. I'm seventeen and I call myself I writer.

This was so rushed and also part of a writing workshop. Its about my dramatic 5th grade self feeling abandoned for like a few hours at most.

What to do When your Parents Forget to Pick you Up from School

10
1.      Wait inside the school for as long as you can. Leaving the school may result in you having to talk to strangers, teachers on their way home, or potential kidnappers.
2.      Ensure that your phone is working or that you are at least close enough to some adult in case of emergency.
3.      Check your phone frequently. You never know when your parents will finally remember that you exist.
4.      Call your parents. Repeatedly. It’s already been an hour and you’ve heard nothing from them. If you’re lucky, your mother might not be in a meeting and your father might actually hear his phone for once. If calling three times does not work, call five times. After the seventh time, give up for now.
5.      Notice the emptiness of the playground. What was once a cacophony of playground gossip, basketballs bouncing against the blacktop, and the trading of Pokémon cards is now pure silence. A place loses all familiarity when every sound, every smell associated with it has been put away for the day. Suddenly, everything seems alien and as a child, you shrink away from alien things. Unfortunately for you, there is no place to which you can shrink. Bear it.
6.      Notice that the playground isn’t actually silent. There’s a wind making the autumn leaves dance across the ground, sway to the whispering rondo. You can hear it howling very softly, a wolf whimper. It feels like ghosts are surrounding you on that empty blacktop.
7.      Leave the school when the staff tells you that it’s closing and that there’s nothing they can do for you. Now you are at the mercy of strangers, teachers on their way home, and potential kidnappers.
8.      Call your parents. Again. By this time, at least one should answer. Fortunately for you, one does.
9.      Wait.
10.   Get in the car when your father arrives at the pick-up. Listen to his apologies. Say nothing.

• November 5, 2019 - 4:27am (Now Viewing)

• Araw

@hi i'm jackson ;) I mean like, to be fair, it is a child narrator? That was kind of intentional. For fifth grade I'd say the vocab is even a little advanced. But thanks. The transition into imagery was something I worked at as well.

• hi i'm jackson ;)

oh wow this was good.
    at first i was like "oh wow this seems childlike" but then it got SO GOOD. I love the change. yessssssss whoaaaaaa

• Rewrite_The_Stars

haha xactly

anxiety come back to haunt you like bOoOoOoOoOo UwU OwO TwT

this piece gave me flashback anxiety. brilliantly written :)