Maryam Q

Malaysia

15-year-old homeschooler working to become both an author and an entrepreneur. I love reading, writing, food, tea, and cats.

Would appreciate a comment/review!

When The Fire Left Her Eyes

"I'm so sorry! Are you okay? That was my bad... I'm just tired, I guess." Letty managed an apologetic smile. 

"HAH! TIRED! JUST ANOTHER WORD FOR LAZY! PEOPLE LIKE YOU ARE AN EMBARRASSMENT TO SOCIETY! I KNOW FOR A FACT - A FACT - THAT YOU DID THAT ON PURPOSE" The tall lady with the face as red as her temper and an air of arrogance about her would not have been happy to know that Letty was in fact not paying any attention to her rant, and had zoned out. 

There was a whole line of people waiting to pay for their groceries. One of them, an impatient-looking young man with a crooked nose, cleared his throat loudly.

"Excuse me! Uh, Ma'am! You're blocking everyone. Do you mind?"

She turned and focused her rage on him instead. Perhaps he shouldn't have stepped in like that and certainly, if he were more intelligent, he would not have intervened. But then again, the spotty teenager behind the counter wasn't much help. The boy merely looked on helplessly, wishing he was hanging out with his mates instead of trying to earn some money for that stupid bike. Really he was not paid enough for this. He caught Letty's gaze and shrugged at her. She turned away and looked at the yelling woman, ready to burst into tears.

"HOW DARE YOU INTERRUPT ME, YOUNG MAN! THIS DOES NOT CONCERN YOU! YOU THINK YOU CAN JUST BUTT INTO A CONVERSATION AND-" 

"Excuse me, Ma'am. May I know what it is that's troubling you?"

It was the manager, a plump man who was usually very nice but did not take nonsense from anyone. 

"THIS WOMAN BRUISED MY LEGS BUMPING HER TROLLEY INTO ME! AND I TELL YOU, SHE DID IT ON PURPOSE!"

"Which woman?"

The angry lady jabbed her finger to the empty space beside her.

"THIS WOMAN! Oh! I..." She looked around in bewilderment.

Letty, tired of the arguing, had quickly paid for her groceries and left the scene.

Anyone who knew her would tell you that normally, she would have argued back. Absolutely roasted that tall lady, no doubt about it. Those large, blue eyes would have been on fire with a passion that always infected those around her. That was the Letty they knew. But now? She was just tired.

That's exactly what I am, Letty thought as she unlocked the door to her apartment a half-hour later. Tired. Always so bloody exhausted.

It was chilly inside. The breeze blew in through the door, leaves scuttling around Letty's ankles, but the sun never seemed to be able to reach too far into the apartment, leaving it dark and cold. The young woman had not been able to earn any money for the last couple of months, so the apartment was a small one. But it was temporary. She could feel, deep down inside, that it was. She knew that someday, some vague, wonderful day not too far into the future, she would be able to buy her own house, with plenty of windows to let in the light. Just not right now.

Every week, she had to go through a million tests, and each one would leave her feeling ready to collapse. But the results were becoming more and more positive. As a child, her teachers had always scorned her for her fanciful ideas, but she was sure that if she did not have her imagination to distract her, she would have given up on life a long time ago.

She looked around her home, and could not bring herself to pick anything up from the floor. Her handbag slowly slid from its place on her arm and fell to the ground with a thud, its contents spilling over the ground. 

The girl sauntered over to the fridge and surveyed its contents before picking out a pear. The doctor had insisted she eat as healthy as possible.

She flumped down onto the sofa, kicked off her grubby trainers, and put her small feet up. Her wig, which had been itching her, came off too. Letty pulled her phone out of her pocket, and, with her mouth full of a huge bite of the juicy pear, mumbled to herself,

"Stupid cancer."