Charisse Marison

Disney Fan
Proud Hufflepuff
Theatre is my life
Favorite food: Everything!
Always trying to help out fellow writers get their voices heard
All of you are amazing people! Don't forget that :)

Hey y'all! I wrote this story because the protagonist, named Ashlyn BTW, is pretty and popular. So....everything I'm not XD
I hope you like this! Also, I know I've republished this a lot, but I just want people to read it!
I really want to shout out FoxLilly106. Her writing is AMAZING! Unfortunately, some people fail to realize that and she is going through a lot. Please offer a word of encouragement and read all her pieces! They are AMAZING!!!!
Also, please like! I need ONE MORE to win the badge! Thanks for everyone who has supported my work! It means so much to me!

Pretty Isn't Everything

The first thing I think about from the moment I wake up is what I will wear. I went to Macy's recently and bought a flowery crop top, ripped jeans, and Gucci flip-flops, but that might be too casual. Salmon turtle neck with pale khakis? Is that style a thing right now? Will it go well with my complexion? After all, your look isn't just what you wear. It's how you look wearing it. My strawberry blonde hair is pretty, but it does NOT go well with certain colors. Believe me. Oh well. I'll think about that in a minute. My brain is still half dead anyway.
Forcing myself out of bed, I immediately reach for my hairbrush. I cannot be seen with bedhead. It would ruin my reputation. And reputation is everything! It's all I have at this point. Yeah, I know, pretty sad. But when your parents are loaded and you go to St. Genevieve for school where everyone expects you to be perfect in everything you do, it's better to show people what they want to see instead of who you truly are. And they see me as a beautiful, ditzy cheerleader type. So I am. At least, on the outside.
Shaking thoughts about other things, I pace over to my closet. Each rack is full of dresses, coats, and skirts of all different colors. High heels, wedges, and Uggs are scatter across the closet floor. Jewelry hangs from every corner. To most people, this sounds like a perfect Barbie closet. To me, this sounds like hell. Seriously, I love accessorizing, but this is WAY too excessive. Every single holiday, someone always gives me clothes. And, instead of donating it to Goodwill like I want to, my parents force me to wear it at every given moment. So here is EVERY little piece of clothing I've collected over the years. I mean, I've kind of turned it into a hobby. Collecting clothes. But considering so many people out there don't have a roof over their head or any food, spending all this money just to collect clothes is ridiculous.
Something that everyone assumes is that all rich people are snobs who look down at the poor and call them peasants or whatever. I mean, to be honest, this is a pretty accurate. I mean, my parents are this way. Don't get me wrong, I love them, but I feel like they're always on a high horse. We only dine at highly respectable restaurants. We only drive around in Jaguars and Ferraris. Like I said, image is everything. But, sometimes, I wish people would look deeper instead of just seeing the basic picture. If they did, they'd know my parents are always fighting and I'm always miserable. But all people see is the "perfect" family. Rich, pretty, popular...……..
If only they would dig past the surface. They'd be VERY surprised.
Throwing on a tiered tank top and gladiator sandals, I grab my book bag and sling it over my shoulder. Straightening my hair,(it's a little frizzy), I exit my room and shut the door quietly behind me. My parents like to sleep in, and I REALLY don't want them to kiss me goodbye or something. Not like they will. They barely care that I exist. But still. Our relationship is...….complicated. I hurry down our marble stairs, careful not to trip over myself. These stairs are DEADLY. Trust me. At least today I'm not wearing high heels. Now that was bad.
I glance down at my Rolex watch and see the time. OH CRUD. I'm late. Already. Well shoot! Wasn't my butler supposed to wake me up (yes I have a butler, don't judge me)!!!??????? Oh wait, that's right. My parents fired him after he got cancer and had to skip a week for chemotherapy. Yeah. My parents are great people.
I shove a toaster pastry in my mouth and head for the front door. I try not to spill crumbs on my shirt, but it's hard. Toaster pastries fall apart SUPER easily. But at least it's better than a four-course breakfast. Yes, I have eaten that before. people in tuxedos came around and served us. The food was super gross, though. I vomited it into a napkin in front of EVERYONE. My parents yelled at me a lot later for spoiling such a good evening with such vulgar behavior. That was so embarrassing. Now you know why I eat toaster pastries. Not super expensive and very delicious.

Making sure no one sees me, I creak the door open and step outside into the warmth of the summer sunshine. Most people like summer because the BEACH! and VACATION! But going anywhere with my family sucks. So, in turn, summer sucks. My parents always take me to a random place in the world they think I would like. Most of the places they take me are famous for their fashion. Which I guess is okay. But I'd rather go to a historical site from a war or something. I LOVE history. Any war or civilizations throughout history are SO amazing. That's something no one knows about me. That I'm a history buff. But it doesn't fit my stereotype, so to them, that part of me doesn't exist. I can't be smart. I can't like any school subjects. I just have to be the rich, spoiled pretty girl.
My gosh, I hate my life.
Against my better judgement, I jump into my parent's Jaguar. I think this is their 3rd one in about 2 years. Even if I crashed it, they'd just get a new one, so I don't even really care.
I start the engine and hear the satisfying roar as it sparks to life. I place my hands on the wheel hesitantly, preparing myself for another day of flirtatious boys and stupid girls. I leave the driveway with a sigh. This is my life. My horrible, sad life. As I get lost in thought about everything I wish I could change, I forget to focus on the road. Suddenly, I see a bright flash in front of me as a truck barreling down the road tries to stop. I scream as I feel the impact of his car hit mine, glass spraying in my face like knives, until my world fades to black.....
Hi! I know I had to cut this short, but the contest said 1000 word limit! Even if I don't win, I really like this story and I hope you guys do too :)

2

• parachutes

Enjoy your badge

• K. Marie Christen

I like this piece. However, in the beginning it feels like the MC (main character, in K. Marie speak) is all obsessed over how she looks. Then she doesn't seem to care about ti at all. Might want to clarify on that . Also, if you want to have a way to cut some of this piece, then cut the part about breakfast, it's a bit unimportant, since it doesn't really move the plot along. All in all, great story!

• FoxLilly106

HOW THE HECC ARE YOU SO FREAKING SWEET!?!?! I really do appreciate you, and everyone else who's on WtW. My scoliosis has mostly stopped getting worse now, but it's still a pain. I just felt like I needed to explain my outburst the other day. The stress was crazy! Thanks for having my back! Happy writing! <3

• FoxLilly106

Q & A results are up btw:

• FoxLilly106

I'm Eastern Time. Right along the Atlantic coast

• Maryam

This was amazing, the detail and imagery were fantastic!You also used great wording, so that made everything was such a fun read!Great job! :)

• FoxLilly106

It's all good. I'm on throughout the day. Generally on after 9:00 PM though.

• FoxLilly106

Love the story @Charisse! Feel awful for her though...

Btw, thank you. It means a lot to me that you care. Love you sooo much! Thank you for all you do! I'm trying to persevere. We'll see where it goes. I just don't know anymore. I'm going to be publishing the next chapter of Past Memories soon. Hopefully. Thank you for being there when I need a vent. If there is any way we can keep in contact easier, that'd be great. You're a wonderful person, and the world needs more people like you.

Thank you again!

• KiwiCat

Wow, I feel so sorry for her! But great story :)

• Still_Crafting

poor girl. I feel bad, but i think she'll miss her popularity, after all, her life will be different now.

• Ferg

Keep it up:)

• Julia Warnock

Also, congrats on the 50 followers! That's awesome, and you really deserve it! :)

• Julia Warnock

This is an amazing story, Charisse! I love it, and you make such a good point. The ending really got me, too. I want to know what happened to her.

• Some_Stand_Up_For_The_Vanquished

that's incredible!!!

• Miss_S_wise

Awesome piece! Especially the way you depicted the other side of this stereotype by the girl's perspective ... Good luck!

• ThePaperSamurai

Ooh I like the struggle in this, between what she wants and what the world wants of her.... great job portraying that!
    And I love her "voice"!

• Tushar Mandhan

All the best!