Peer Review by Harlow (United States)

Migrant or Refugee

By: zalma

PROMPT: No Single Story

She sat at the threshold of her room, pondering in the sunlight of mid morning, air shoving her locks from her face. She called back to the times, she had spent with her family, and friends; the times that were now a memory, a precious memory that revived her past.
Her home was the most peaceful place for her. She lived with her husband. She helped him in the fields, and also managed daily chores. She remembered the corn haulms in fields, visible from the roof of their house.
"corn is ready to set for the market," he would say, at the end of harvest season. He loved baked corn, and would always appreciate her cooking skills. She pictured the red dress he had bought her, when coming back from a trade deal in Tbilisi, and also the necklace made of fine blue beads she was fond of.
Whenever she went to the market, she would buy something for home decor, a painting, miniature porcelain figures, or anything that caught her eye. She had a fine taste in interior design, that all her friends, relatives, and guests would always praise her for, and envied.
Every time she remembered those times, a faint, painful smile swiped across her face, and a solitary tear or two ran down her freckled cheek. She relived her past in present, with all its gains and losses, connection and loneliness, joys and sorrows, fears and strengths, that the war had brought them into.
Ala Tarasova has been living in Tskhvarichamia, since 1991, alone in a camp with only memories as company.

This is a fictional story, inspired by a photograph. Ala Tarasova is a real person living in Tskhvarichamia refugee camp since the war.

"She relived her past in present, with all its gains and losses, connection and loneliness, joys and sorrows, fears and strengths, that the war had brought them into." This line embodies what I would argue to be a central theme of this piece, as it connotates the weight of the memories that the protagonist has been feeling in her refugee camp for decades

The fact that this is a feeling, an experience, that I will never have nor feel. I am compelled to research more and discover the depth of the travesties that this over marginalized group is going through. To be able to envision a face and put a name to that face and experience is truly eye-opening

Thanks for entering and letting me read this wonderful work!!