2016 05 06 19.42.46

ImpossibleGirlo1

Howdy! I am a klutzy sophomore who laughs at herself! ;) I am a country girl at heart, and love writing, reading, drawing, being outside, being with little kids, and animals. My goal is to one day publish a book, and do something great!

Okay, so this is the beginning of chapter two. From here I might only update about once a week, but like today, I might decide to give you a snippet. Let me know what ya think!

Rodeo Star Part 4

0
Ajax continued to heal for the next few weeks. The bone was in one piece after two and a half weeks, but it took an additional week for his leg to be rehabilitated completely. Most of that week was spent strengthening his leg by walking him around a pen for a long duration once or twice a day. At the beginning of the week, Ajax was only able to endure ten minutes on his feet at a time, but now we’d see him out in the pasture for an hour or more on his feet before he had to lay down.
    “You’ll probably be able to get him back to his old routines next eek,” Dr. Harp told me as he climbed into his truck.
    “I hope I’ll be ready to ride next week.”
    “You goin’ to see the doc soon?”
    “Yeah, I’m goin’ later today.”
    “I hope it will be the last trip you make.”
    “Me too, Stan.”
    “Let me know how it goes, yeah?”
    “Absolutely.”
    “Alright. See you around, David.”
    I waved as he pulled out of the long driveway before turning to go inside where Ma was sure to have lunch ready. She had been really quiet for the first week after the accident, but had opened up a bit more during week two. Every so often, she would bring up her want for me to move back with them to Minnesota, and after the third time of arguing with her I started replying with a gentle, “No Ma.”
    When my collarbone finally healed, Ma and Pa, being the protective parents they are, stayed around long enough to make sure I could survive on my own. When at last they left, I sat down on the couch in my small living room and breathed a sigh of relief. I had managed to make it through five weeks with my parents, without being talked into moving away. My stomach growled at me for not feeding it sooner, and, grabbing my keys and my wallet, I drove into town and visited the small local cafe.
                                                                                           ~
    My feet ached and I felt like I would collapse if I had to carry another tray of food across the cafe, when the tall rodeo star walked in looking very hungry. I straightened up, reminding myself to breathe and greeted him at the counter.
    “How are you today, David. Can I call you David?”
    “Most people do,” he replied with that winner smile of his.
    “Great! I see your shoulder is better.”
    “Yes it is! Got the sling off two days ago. Feels good as new.”
    “That’s good to hear, will you be back in the rodeo soon?”
    “I should be. That’s my only means of income.”
    “How’s your horse?”
    “Ajax was up and about before I was. He’s doin’ great, and can’t wait to get back in it, I think.”
    “Well, you look hungry, what can I get ya?”
    “A hamburger and a ginger ale, please?”
    “Sure thing!”
I turned around to the fridge and pulled out an ice cold ginger ale and set it in front of him with a smile before turning back around to make the hamburger. As I put the already prepared beef patty on a hamburger bun, I contemplated whether or not I would actually ask him what I had been wonderin’ since my conversation with Mom three weeks ago. All this time wonderin’ and you’re not even gonna ask? I chided myself, deciding that I would ask, if it was the last thing I did.
    “Here is your hamburger,” I said with a little pep to my step. “Can I ask you a question?”
    “Sure.”
    “In all of your rodeo days...did you ever know a Neal Ricks?” He seemed to choke on the bite of hamburger that was in his mouth, at the mention of my dad’s name.
    “The Neal Ricks?”
    I got excited. “Yeah. Did ya know him?”
    “I wish! That guy was a legend in the rodeo world! Why do ya ask?”
    “Well, he was my dad, and-”
    “Neal Ricks was your dad? It must’ve been neat growin’ up with him.” My face fell as I thought about what that could’ve been like.
    “I never met him. He died right before I was born.”
    “I’m so sorry. I should’ve known. I-”
    “It’s okay, I didn’t expect you to know. I was just wonderin’, because my mother always had this kind of dislike for the rodeo, but I love it. I finally got around to askin’ her why she didn’t like it, and she told me about how my dad really died. I had just wondered if you’d ever known him.”
    “Oh. No, I was just a rookie at the time, hardly even part of the rodeo, but he was my idol. I looked up to him, and wanted to be just like him someday. From what I knew of him, he was a good man. One of coolest things about him is that he would never get on his horse until he got what he called a ‘lucky kiss’ from your momma, who would always be close by. They were mighty cute together. I watched all of his rodeos on tv.”
    I sat there in complete amazement. This was the most I’d ever heard about who my dad was. He was everything I’d hoped he’d be from what I heard. He was kind, and loved my momma. He loved the rodeo, and enjoyed it, and he was a role model for at least someone in the world. I quickly wiped away a tear that I’d unconsciously let escape my eye.
    “Thank you. Thank you so much,” I said trying to control my breaking voice. His beautiful blue eyes stared back at me with concern. “That’s the most I’ve ever heard about my dad, and he sounds like everything I hoped he’d be. So, thank you.”
    “My pleasure,” he smiled, the worry melting from his eyes.
    “Well, I should get back to work, but thanks again for answerin’ my question.” I smiled as he nodded at me, and took a sip of his ginger ale.