Peer Review by ariannaags (Singapore)

Dragon Trainer's Saddlebag

By: mythicalwords

Far off from urban though past black and white days, a leather saddlebag was strapped to a dragon saddle. A flexible pit and everlasting tool; jolting its components with every beat of the wings. A silver dagger, neatly packaged inside for when a Trainer's maneuverable hand was of much more aid than the dragon itself. Tree bark strips secured around a neatly folded cloth as strings; the shard of magnifying glass caressed between the layers. A view far beyond the eyes of two. The tiny needle shook in its designated box, awaiting its chance to stitch a path up north. The saddlebag swayed against myth-breaking scales. As the motion persisted dusty rainbows flew inside; powdered paints leapt from side to side of their miniature glass bottles. Stained paintbrushes and charcoal pencils drummed against their glass. The rhythm accompanied the life-filled pages of an old leather-bound journal. Every third flip of a thousand-year-old page was soaked in colours; some still wet and newly fresh. The other in-between papers collected crowds of charcoal. Words, fragments, sentences, metaphors, smilies, stories, poems, ideas, thoughts, memories; nothing could've been left out. The saddlebag lifted up; away with the sky, waving at clouds as it passed by. It was far off from urban though past black and white days yet a Dragon Trainer's Saddlebag it will stay.

I had a very hard time coming up with the answer to this! All the items were so interesting and obviously very well though out. If I had to choose, it would be the leather journal he keeps in his saddlebag. Firstly the manner in which you listed the items, most items were related to his profession, evoked surprise when you listed this journal. This item, which is obviously well cared for and regularly updated, reveals another dimension to his character and makes him ever the more interesting! It only reminds us that although he is a dragon trainer, he has another life

Firstly his profession in its self portrays him as brave and strong. He is not only skilful at controlling dragons and training them, but he is a very talented individual in other areas such as the arts. He is a passionate individual and he is filled with thoughts that he struggles to fit inside the pages of his notebook. I liked the description of both tools related to his job as well as items that reveal more about his character and passions.

I really really loved reading this piece. There has obviously been much thought in your description and construction of this piece. I especially liked your creative adjectives, that not only enticed the reader but were also descriptive and relevant in revealing more information about the dragon trainer. Although there is little direct description of the dragon trainer, the insightful description of his bag reveals many clues about his character! The only thing I can possible suggest is to read through your lat line once more. I didn't quite understand what you meant. Otherwise, keep up the good work! Can't wait to see your other pieces!